Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First hand info ?: Casey Car Rentals (Dublin) and Elmdale House B&B (Ennis), Kid Friendly B&B's

Search

First hand info ?: Casey Car Rentals (Dublin) and Elmdale House B&B (Ennis), Kid Friendly B&B's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi -
Has anyone used Casey Car rental in Ireland? We are visiting in August and found their rates to be attractive, but I don't know anything about them. Any pos/neg comments appreciated.

Also, looking at Elmdale House B&B in Ennis - have you been there?

Any first hand suggestions for B&B's in Ennis, Galway City/Salthill, and Dublin that are kid friendly would be appreciated, too.

Thanks, Helen
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:28 PM

Helen ?

We stayed at Elmdale House for our last night a few years ago, and were a bit disappointed. The rooms reminded me of a brothel, and the beds were old and uncomfortable. I?ll warn you that it?s NO WHERE near town at all, and located on a busy street. We had an early flight out on Sunday so Anne did leave out cereal for us in the morning, but no milk?..If you have another choice pick it. By the way, the stepdancer attends school in Dublin, so she may not be at home while you are there (if you were hoping for a small show for your kids).

How old are your children? Have you considered a self-catering apartment for your trip?

-eyps
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:29 AM

I have never heard of Casey car rental. where are they based (I live here).

In Galway you could always book Jurys as they have a rate for the room and would have an extra bed for the kids. Most B&B's are friendly bar one or two more upmarket places that gear to couples. You may get more value for money by using hotels like Jurys (Dublin as well)
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:37 AM

What price range? In that area you can eat in any range.

Good Value:
Wagamama - Asian beside St Stephens Green Shopping centre

Cafe Bar Deli- Georges St. Pizza Pasta Salads

Indigo Yard - Georges Street Steak to pasta

Pizza Stop - by the westbury hotel in the land between McDaids and Berry Brothers

Mid range Pricier
Odessa - off Dame lane - miz of everything good cocktails

La Mere Zou - Belgian/french on St Stephens Green

Bang - Merrion Row off the Green. Steak, bang and mash very good

Tante Zoe - Temple Bar - steaks cajun style food

Expensive:

Freres Jacques - real French food Dame Street

Shanahans - break the bank American style posh steak house.

Patrick Guillbauld - Merrion Hotel (Michelin Star)

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:59 AM

I, too, was disappointed with Elmdale House. The write up in the Bed and Breakfast Accommodation booklet is now very misleading...'Resident harpist and Irish step dancing in home.' That daughter has grown up and is no longer around. You don't get the experience you are hoping to get and therefore go away disappointed.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 02:05 AM

Not about Elmdale House: We stayed at Rose Cottage B&B in Ennis last month. We are 'Seniors:' we asked if they had a ground floor room away from the Pub. Carmel & Frank Daniels accomodated us and we were quite satisfied. It's a large 'family' room: 2-twih' beds and a double bed.

The B&B is on Turnpike Rd. about 10-min walk from the Cathedral.

I don't recommend the 'pub' food