Need B&B/Apartment suggestions for Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - we (four single friends) are going to Dublin to celebrate a 40th bday over Memorial Day. The hotels seem frightfully expensive. So we are looking for suggestions for B&B's or apartments/apartels (central) for four nights. We need two bedrooms and our budget is upto $100 a room a night.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:06 PM

Try the Mercer Near Grafton street as many people seem to like this for the price/location. As for apartment there are places in different location in Dubl,in at this website http://www.staydublin.com/?ref=google_midweek. I walk by one every day and they are brand new.

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 02:04 AM

Try the Grafton Guest House - this recently refurbished guesthouse got a good review in the Irish Times last week (see below). Other than that I don't know much about it, but the location is excellent and the price is good - www.graftonguesthouse.com

From the Irish Times -
HOME FROM HOME:

Grafton House is one of the best new places to recommend to visitors who want to stay in central Dublin, but don't want to spend a lot of money. It has existed in this location as a B&B for some time, but about a year ago Jay Bourke and Eoin Foyle took it on and added it to their list of businesses all within a stone's throw of each other - the Odessa Restaurant and Club, the Market Bar, Eden Restaurant, the Globe, Rí Rá, Cafe Bar Deli and Gubu. Grafton House isn't super-luxurious, but it is a comfortable place, a million miles from the blandness of most budget hotels. Rates are usually about €55 per person sharing, but cheaper offers are often available. At the moment, there are rooms for €29.99. Be sure to ask for one at the back, which are quieter than those facing Georges Street. While staying at Grafton House, guests also get to use the nearby Odessa Club. Grafton House, 26/27 South Great Georges Street, Dublin 2, 01-6792041, www.graftonguesthouse.com

Other than that you might like to try one of the Jurys Inns - the one at Christchurch has the best location - www.jurys.com
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Will check these out...
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 11:49 PM

Ter2000 - it is a good location I have not heard of this yet...it looks like the old Kellys hotel. I would get a room at the back as suggested but its a great access area. If you go for the apts the ones near the Bloom Quarter are well located and there is a great coffee shop, Italian wine bar and restaurant across the road.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM
JBX

Any others? I'm helping a friend try to find cheap accommadations. As the original poster stated it's a challenge to find reasonably priced places .... in this instance, my friend is traveling solo.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM

We stayed at Harrington Hall in Dublin. www.harringtonhall.com. I just checked the website and they will not reveal rates until you E mail them. It was very centrally located, just a 5 minute walk into town center.It does not offer breakfast as I recall. Just another idea to check out. Good luck
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:20 PM

re:grafton guest house
I've stayed there in both its old and new incarnations, much preferred it the old way - I like faded (ok, worn-out) elegance better than el-cheapo modern. Rose brocade wallpaper now replaced by bold striped reds and browns, etc. It IS a good location and a good price, and the rooms facing S Gt Georges Street ARE noisy.