Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which DUBLIN hotel is Special? ................ (Kilronan? Molesworth? Number 31? Harrington? Trinity College (dorms)?

Which DUBLIN hotel is Special? ................ (Kilronan? Molesworth? Number 31? Harrington? Trinity College (dorms)?

Old Sep 20th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to hear your personal reactions, both positive and negative, if you have stayed at any of these places in Dublin. Also, how recently did you stay there? Many thanks!

Molesworth Court Suites
(Schoolhouse Lane, Dublin)

Trinity College Campus
(tourists can stay in student housing in summer)

Kilronan House
(Adelaide Road)

Number 31
(Leeson St.)

Harrington Hall
(Harcourt St.)

I'm looking for rooms which are Quiet at night for sleeping; we are non-smokers; and would prefer to be able to walk to St. Stephen's Green, Trinity College, and good restaurants. Great included breakfast is a plus! Am looking to pay between $80 and $200 USA per night for Dublin rooms. Hoping to stay at family-run places with a little bit of Irish; dislike big generic hotels.

Thanks, fodorites always help me plan great trips. Dublin will be our last 2 nights (or maybe 3 nights) of our visit. We will turn in our car and rely on public transportation for Dublin.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 12:40 AM

Molesworth Suites look fantastic on the website. I work nearby and its a quiet side street not dfar from Grafton street and St Stephens green. One Pico is an expensive but excellent restaurant on this street for a special meal. Nearby is a good lunch/coffe spot called Dunne and Cresenzi on S Frederick Street for coffee, pasta and Panni its real italian food at good prices.

Also Trinity Lodge Hotel is a lovely place on S Frederick street as well. Its a converted Georgian house. This is very close to Molesworth Court Suites.

Trinity College is good value and safe but depending on where you are located this is not a cosy B&B you are on your own but they are clean and great location. I am not sure if they rent the older rooms out on the mail Campus or just Goldsmith Hall. If they rent the older rooms in Front square it would be really an unusual place to stay. After 12 you have to enter through the main security wooden gate. This is smack inthe city centre but quiet on the main campus.

Kilronan house is a B&B I have walked by it several times over the years and they are always busy but from what other fodorites say not all toilets are ensuite so I would not bither for the prices they charge.

No 31 Leeson street looks fantastic but on the weekends Leeson street can get a bit rowdy as the clubs are open until 3-4am. It gets a bit messy but the hotel looks great.

Harrington hall - The location is good but I have never been inside. There is a lovely Park off Harcourt street called the Iveagh Gardens very quiet and most people do not know about it. Also great restaurant called Il Primo on Montague street off Harcourt street. It's Italaian and a little more expensive but excellent and the owner is very into his wines.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 02:38 AM

During the summer of 2001, I was enrolled in a study abroad program and stayed in Goldsmith Hall on Trinity's campus. The rooms were immaculate but small and probably not what you're looking for.

I agree with Siobhan about the older dorm rooms, though. We just stayed in those for our last night, and they had much more character and were more centrally located on the campus.

Sorry I can't help with any of the hotels.

Good luck and have a great trip!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

SiobhanP, wow, what a great source of info you are! Thanks very much.

I ended up posting 3 questions on Dublin hotels because the web-site was working funky that night, wouldn't cooperate.

I'll see if I can find out more about Trinity Lodge hotel, as you suggested.

I guess I'm trying to re-create in Dublin the experience we had in Rome. In Rome we had such a great time when we stayed at a very central hotel which did have some Italian character. We walked to everything and yet still slept well on a quiet square! Is that possible in Dublin?! Or are we better off sleeping quietly in the suburbs and taking public transportation into the city in the day-time?

I really feel drawn to taste, smell, and feel Dublin from the inside, and I'm not sure I can do that taking day-trips from the suburbs. But I like a good night's sleep.

From what you say Molesworth Suites sounds good. (Although since there isn't any 24-hour front desk you're on your own at night, so if you want to sleep and there are loud partyers in the building, there's no-one to call...)

Appreciate the suggestions for places to eat. I will print those out and highlight!

Based on your comments on Leeson St., maybe I'd better cross out Number 31 because of the rowdy clubs nearby.

Do you think Harrington Hall is quiet at night?

Well you might think that I'm dabbling in too many details, but I always end up with accomodations I love by using feedback from generous fodorites like you, thanks very much SiobhanP and britfan!

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:05 AM

Hi Melissa5 Forget Harrington hall if noise is an issue. We walked by this weekend and it was madness on the street. This is probably more thsan usual because of the GAA finals at Croake Park the next day and lots of people were up and the students are back and heading to all the discos theur first weeks back. It was mobbed, loud and not the side of Dublin I would make tourists endure if they paid for a good nights sleep. Unfortunately we probably added to the mob trying to find a bar that us non-21 year olds would like and passed through this street walking back to Grafton streetl. To loud and messy on the weekends. Moleworth Suites I understood to be aopartments not a hotel so they would not have a concierge normally. Trinity Lodge does not have a receptionmist after 11pm but I think someone is there.

Have fun

S
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

SiobhanP, very nice of you to let me know about the noise and madness on the street when you walked by Harrington Hall. You are right, I am trying to pay for a good night's sleep in Dublin!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Hi Melissa...

Trinity College only rents rooms in the summer vacation. (You don't say when you are going to be visiting Dublin.)

I read at the weekend that starting today (Monday) there is a new boat trip on the river Liffey being introduced. It goes from a landing stage at Bachelors Walk near the Ha'penny footbridge. 11 euros for a 45 minute trip with "entertaining commentary".

Following Siobhan's advice I've booked a twin room at St Stephen's Green Hotel - I got a 60% discount, and am paying 114 euros a night, for mid-December. I found this on www.booknowlimited.com

Have a good trip, let us know how you get on!
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Actually, my confirmation email came from booknowlimited.com.

I reserved the room through http://www.hotel-ireland.com/stephens-green-hotel/
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:58 AM

That is a fantastic price! Melissa5 you should check that out as well. Its a nice newer hotel but would be better noise insulated and right on St Stephens Green.