Search

Best Rome Hotel w/View Under 300euro Between Trevi and Colosseo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Rome Hotel w/View Under 300euro Between Trevi and Colosseo

Hey Everyone-
My wife and I are planning our first trip to Rome! Researching hotels has been tough. Tripadvisor seems to have great reviews on Concordia, but they don't seem genuine. The Capo D'Africa ranks high everywhere, but seems a bit far from everything.
Here's our requirements:
1. Great Rooftop Terrace (breakfast served here would be fabulous)
2. Close to Major Attractions. We're especially interested in the Ancient city (colosseo, forum, etc.) but we don't want to be too far from other spots like the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, and Vatican City.
3. Safe. My wife is very concerned that we stay in an area that is safe.
4. Clean. We'd love a room that was very clean and had great bathroom facilities. Cleanliness makes up for lack of amenities for us.
5. Fairly quiet. White noise, and the streets below won't bother. Yelling and loud noises would not be good (you know what I mean right?)
6. Cost. I've found that all hotels are rather expensive in Rome, so we're trying to be reasonable. Under 300 Euros a night would be good...the lower, the better.
So, here are a couple hotels that I think fit closely:
Hotel Forum. Fits most of the bill. Are there any tips on this hotel?
Capo D'Africa. Seems to be ideal, but farther away. The hotel Tritone looks interesting. Being near the Trevi Fountain would be nice.
The hotels Oceania, Columbia, and Cesari come to mind, but for some reason weren't as great.
Are there any other hotels that would fit our requirements well?
Thanks so much for all your help!
~dreaming of Roma
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:45 AM

Your title emphasizes the view so if the Forum is in your budget, I'd go for it. If the Tritone is the one I'm thinking about on Via Tritone, that is a very busy/noisy street and I wouldn't stay there. Have you checked the rates at the Del Senato? Breakfast is served in a room on the main level but it does have a rooftop bar for drinks and snacks in the afternoon/evening and talk about the view--you can just about touch the Pantheon. It meets all your other requirements as well.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Grinisa-
I've checked out the Del Senato, and I think the "business" of the area and potential cost are what's convincing us to keep looking. I've been poking around travelintelligence.com, but still haven't found what we're looking for. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 11:00 AM

I'm a budget traveller and have mainly stayed in apartments in Rome, but when with my family I've stayed at the del Senato. What do you mean "business" of that area?

It's a touristy piazza, but I actually found it nice to look out the window--at the Pantheon, of course, but also to see the piazza come alive as the the morning progressed.

But you know what? It's Rome, and you will love it whichever hotel you decide on.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:19 PM

Just returned from Rome and admired the Hotel Forum .... near Via Cavour. Here's a link to reviews on Trip Advisor -

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...ome_Lazio.html
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:53 PM

We are staying at the Del Senato. Our room with a balcony overlooking Pantheon square is 270Euros/night.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM

Hotel Oceania is in Via Firenze. No views of anything but the street! Also, no rooftop terrace (it is on the 3rd floor of an old palazzo I believe).

That said, I love the hotel and the location. We are staying there again this May. It is VERY safe, being right near the Quirinal Palace and the police headquarters. Our room and bathroom was very clean, but the bathroom is small (as are most bathrooms in Europe). No tub, just a shower and a bidet. It is extremely quiet (probably has something to do with the location and not being so close to the city center).

You should be able to get a double room for around 138€ per night cash (no CC payment, though you do reserve with your CC).

Since your budget is quite a bit higher than that, I'd try to stay somewhere a bit closer to the ancient city (with a view of something other than the street) since that appears to be very high on your priority list
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:47 PM

I'm forever the optimist but I think you're going to have difficulty finding something "great" that meets all your requirements, especially under €300.

Great rooftop terraces in the city-center limits you immediately, especially if you desire breakfast service. Hotel Fontana once appeared in Karen Brown guides but I think the interior desperately needs a fabulous decorator. The rooms and baths are insanely small. But they do serve breakfast on their quaint roof terrace overlooking the Trevi.

I think the Hotel Forum has seen better days but I'm pickier than most. I find the rooms ordinary and the hotel reminds me of a 70's style, middle-brow convention establishment. There's something about the feel of their terrace that leaves me cold. It lacks cozy charm and intimacy and smelled musty on my last walk-through. I prefer the view from this terrace during cocktail hour but you really need to be close to the outer edge of the room to enjoy the view.

99% of Rome's city center is safe.

Clean? I've never received a "dirty" hotel room in all my years of travel. Just how clean is relative. Rome is an ancient dirty city even though I think she sparkles.

Quiet? If you tell the hotel you want a quiet room, your chances of getting a room with a view just dropped down to the basement. Quiet in Italian means away from the building's outer edge, which typically means no view. You could easily get a window looking out onto brick. Even a small, insignificant calle can scream with gunning moped noise all night long. Then, there's the garbage pick-up early in the morning. Unless you request a specific room by number (based on experience), one has to take their chances in Rome. Bring earplugs.

Good luck with your search and let us know how it all goes.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:08 PM
awbaker

I also think the Del Senato fits most of your requirements. I'm curious about your statement "I've checked out the Del Senato, and I think the "business" of the area and potential cost are what's convincing us to keep looking."

What "business" are you referring to and why are the costs a deterrent? You should be able to get a room there under $300.

And, the view from the rooftop should be wonderful (check out their webcam from the rooftop terrace!)

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:30 PM

We stayed at the Capo d'Africa last week and enjoyed it very much. Rates were far below 300 euros. We stopped in at the nearby Hotel Forum; my daughters thought the faded brocades looked stuffy and slightly creepy, but it certainly seemed very clean (based on the ladies' room off the lobby). The del Senato, which faces the Pantheon, is much more in the thick of things, but we liked being in an area which was very quiet, and yet within walking distance of central Rome. We were so exhausted at night, after the day's touring, that we needed a hotel which was restful and separated from traffic/motorbikes/piazza partygoers. The Capo d'Africa could not possibly be closer to ancient Rome, and the Spanish Steps are a long but fascinating walk away. The Colosseo metro stop is nearby, to go to the Vatican. It's impossible to be close to both ancient Rome and the Vatican, so you'll have to take your pick.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied- your input has been great, and I'll just take a moment to further explain our situation.
First, the "business" I'm referring to around the Del Senato just means all the activity that's going on. I'm sure there are people everywhere, all enjoying the city, and there is probably a certain amount of general din rising up from all the activity. This is not a bad thing, just something to keep in mind-
The replies have certainly helped me understand the cityscape better, and what to expect around the hotels. I agree with you Leely, that we'll enjoy whatever hotel we decide on- I apprecaite your input on the Oceania TexasAggie, and the info about the Forum has helped me get a better picture, NYCFoodSnob. The info on the Capo D'Africa has been really helpful, Lois_L, and I think this is the hotel I'm leaning toward right now. It may be farther from the city center, but has everything we're looking for. Any other input would be greatly appreciated- somehow I still think we could find something like the D'Africa closer to the city center- please let me know if I'm just dreaming!
Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:05 AM

We spent three nights at the Hotel Senato in Rome this past September. To gaze out your window at something as spectacular as the Pantheon is pretty hard to beat. The area is close to everything. We walked everywhere. WE felt perfectly safe.There are lots of good restaurants in the immediate area and the hotel had good recommendations.
The outdoor bar is magical for a drink in the early evening overlooking the rooftops of Rome. Again hard to beat.
The hotel is a charming three star hotel. It is not a luxury hotel. The room was very small as was the bathroom, though clean. Towels and bedding etc are standard only.
There was no problem with noise from the outside though we could hear people outside at the elevators, early morning.
The breakfast is adequate and the breakfast room can be full if there is a group trying to get out to their bus.
I would recommend this hotel for its location which cant be beat and for its value. If you want more luxury you have to pay more.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:37 PM

We really enjoyed our stay at Del Senato too (chosen mainly b/c of the Wow! factor upon arrival in Italy + 1st impression of Rome.) It's really Very nice! But .... here's another that you might want to ck out: HOTEL FONTANA (w/rooms overlooking Rome's famous Trevi Fountain). A Karen Brown favorite + consistently good reviews elsewhere.
http://karenbrown.com/include/frame.lasso?RecID=10615
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:55 AM

I think Casa Kolbe hotel in Rome fits most of your requirements.
These are the only numbers I could find. Fax: 011 39 0669941550
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:24 AM

You should be aware that the Casa Kolbe is run by a religious order. I do not remember whether it has a curfew or not.

Here is the tripadvisor page about Casa Kolbe:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...ome_Lazio.html
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 08:13 AM

I would guess that the stated price range might indicate a desire for something a bit more upscale than Casa Kolbe as well.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:15 AM

WillTravel: I was aware of that, which is why I linked the tripadvisor reviews that make it abundantly clear that this is NOT what the OP is looking for.

But isn't it a little odd that purgaowner, who has been posting nasty reviews of every second hotel in Rome, is now making totally inappropriate suggestions?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:29 PM

You don't mention when you are planning to travel. That will determine costs.
When in Rome and wandering the Piazza Navona, I spotted a great little hotel with a view and terrace. Hotel Raphael. You can plug in your dates and find out rates. It looks out over the piazza and beyond.
Best wishes.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Hi

What about Albergo del Sole - http://www.solealbiscione.it. Located between Campo de' Fiori and Piazza Navona and 10 minutes to the Vatican a double room on the top floor in high season is 150 euros. The location and web photos suggest this hotel is almost a bargain!
Don't forget to post a review when you return!

See ya
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:39 AM

Casa Kolbe is without curfew. The location is fabulous.It is at the foot of the Aventine/Palantine hill area of Rome, up the Circus Maximum. It is the perfect for someone who wants to be centrally located. Hotel Sole is nice option to stay near the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -