Search

First Day Lunch - 6th arr. Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Day Lunch - 6th arr. Paris

Hello,

Looking for a friendly, lovely place to have our first lunch in Paris. Our flight arrives at 9:30 am and by the time we taxi to our hotel (Hotel D'Aubusson), and get freshed up we will probably be famished and tired. Where would you recommend having our first lunch for a forty something mom and two teen girls (15 yo and 18 yo). Would prefer to have a restaurant in mind rather than just wandering looking for one. We will have plenty of time for the wandering during our time in Paris. Thank you for any suggestions.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Friendly brings to mind Café des Editeurs, at 4, carrefour de l'Odéon, right in the heart of St.-Germain and just a short walk from your hotel. It's a classic.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Le Temps Perdu and Fish, both on rue du Seine, are appropriate for jet-lag day; no pressure to order a full, three course meal. Have a Kir or two at La Palette first.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 10:15 AM

There are two pizzarias on rue Dauphin in the same block as your hotel. One on the same side of the street and one accross the street. Both are very good. The one on the opposite side of the street is really excellent and we always return there for pizza whenever we visit regardless of where we are staying. Sorry I don't know the names - I get there by auto-pilot You're staying in a very "happening" area and there are cafes and bistros and charcruteries (sp) abounding. Also, be sure to visit the neighborhood Champion supermarket for goodies and gifts.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 10:31 AM

One of our favorite cafes is Au Pre Clercs, on the corner of Rue Jacob and Rue Bonaparte. Also cafe Bonaparte on rue Bonaparte offers good food along with the same view of passerby that you get at the much more expensive Deux Magots.

Chez Fernand right around the corner from your hotel also offers lunch
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
OMG, not even arrived yet and already worrying about lunch. Either you have weird priorities or I do.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Le Bonaparte(Place St Germain des Pres) is a nice location.

A bit further, within sight of 6th, is Brasserie de L'Ile on Ile St Louis with outdoor tables, view over back of Notre Dame, dome of Pantheon in the distance, and people watching as they cross small bridge between Ile de la Cite and Ile St Louis....Seine 1/2 block away, Ile St Louis is nice place for wander...Berthillon ice cream..
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 12:32 PM

I always just wander around, but I'm not that picky. As long as you are in that neck of the woods, you could try le Comptoir du Relais in carrefour de l'Odeon as it's the latest hot spot that people kill to get into. I got into it just wandering around one day. However, since so many people want to go but cannot, it is easier to try at lunch (that's when I was there). I think they take reservations for lunch, so if you want to plan that much, it might be worth reserving (I think I must have been lucky).

Actually, it's about right across from Les Editeurs, which is what reminded me of that. Both are very popular (and Les Editeurs always seems very crowded to me, I bet you need reservations there, also--if they take them, not sure).
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Le Comptoir du Relais does not take reservations. I would not recommend it for your first day in Paris as u may arrive and find a long wait, or u could get lucky and be able to walk right in. We've eaten there several times and always loved it--this last trip, not so much. Could have ordered badly, who knows?
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM

I have read in many places they do take reservations. I think they might not take them for lunch, though, but do for dinner.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, I had also read conflicting info as to whether they take reservations. However that is not the case as of this past Janaury. I called they said No reservations unless u stay in the hotel. This is exactly what they told me when I was there trip before last.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 08:12 AM

We just returned from Paris . On the first day, we had a lovely lunch at Rotisserie d'en face. We also stayed at the d'aubusson-You'll really enjoy it. We had been to the Rotisserie before and enjoyed it again .It was filled with people of all ages. AS for the Comptoir restaurant, we also stayed at Relais Saint Germain so it was easy to get in.The chef was not there, so the Bistro Menu was offered.The food was mediocre and the service the worst I have experienced in many years of travel-definitely not recommended. People were waiting to get in and I felt like telling them to go elsewhere. What is the fuss about?Sorry about the rant. Enjoy yourselves.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM

#
kerouac on Apr 28, 10 at 12:03pm

OMG, not even arrived yet and already worrying about lunch. Either you have weird priorities or I do.

No, you just tend to post "bitchy" comments in addition to all the wonderful information you post. Either way, snide remarks don't really help anyone out!

To to OP; sorry, I don't have any advise, just wanted to see what everyone recamended a