Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Paris restauarnts/St. germain neighborhood

Paris restauarnts/St. germain neighborhood

Apr 23rd, 2005, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Paris restauarnts/St. germain neighborhood

Traveling to Paris for the first time in early may. Looking for good, reasonably priced restaurants for breakfast and dinner in St. Germain Des Pre neighborhood. We will be staying at Le Verneuil Hotel. Looking to spend under $100US for dinner for two. Under $25US for breakfast.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Brenda
Apr 23rd, 2005, 02:38 PM

A good place for breakfast in the St-Germain-des-Prés neighborhood would be Paul's bakery, just a few blocks over toward the Seine. Someone here will have an address for you, and you can Google for the various Paul's boulangeries in Paris.

For dinner there's the Bistro de Bretieul, over in the 7th on the Place of the name name. For about 32€ apiece you get an apéritif, 3 courses (with quite a few choices within each), a bottle of wine, and after-dinner coffee. We thought the restaurant was very, very good, especially given the price.

In the 6th is L'Entrecôte, which offers only great steak and salad--nothing more, nothing less.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 02:56 PM

I'd second the suggestion for Paul -- where they'll even do eggs.
There are also a couple of chains that have wonderful pastries, OJ, and good coffee -- La Croissanterie (?) is one. They are dirt cheap and I'll be honest -- I think their pain au chocolate and croissants are even better than the ones at Pauls!

A few favorites for dinner in the 6th, all under $100 for two including a decent bottle of wine:

Aux Charpentiers
La Petite Cour
Le Temps Perdu
Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:31 PM

We always stay in that area and we always do Paul ..3.50E for pastry or tartine and a grand cafe or chocolate. It is just a short walk from the Verneuil. Walk up to rue jacob ,turm left ,go to rue de Seine,turn right and it's on the next corner. Alternately there is a cafe on each corner of rue de St Peres and rue Jacob, that both serve French breakfasts or more if you like.

There are numerous places close by for dinners. An inexpensive place is on rue de la universite...a name change from rue jacob..walk up St Peres turn right at rue jacob and it's on the next corner..I think the name is Esplanade ..very nice and very French. One rue de Lille..the next st up from rue de verneiul is La caleche..there are several good spots along rue Jacob going toward rue de Seine. 2 good places on rue St Benoit..Le Petit Benoit, Relais de Entrecote, also le petit Zinc. Up a block is Cafe Bonaparte. Also right at the intersection of rue jacob abd rue de Seine is Fish and across the street , le temps perdu. Another block away are 3 of our favorites..chez Fernand, Rotisserie d'un Face, and Espadon Bleu on rue christine and des Grand Augustins. Or walk down Grand Augustins toward the seine and enjoy Ze Kitchen Galerie or Le Bookinistres

I really think I need ANOTHER trip to Paris instead of Rome this year!!!
Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:47 PM

I should have mentioned..you should check out the breakfast at the Verneuil. We stayed there 3 times but it has been at least 8 years ago, and as I recall it was very substantial then. We really liked the hotel and only changed to try different places in the same area. I will never forget their kindness when we both got food poisoning from scallops at Thimoeux(sp). I don't know what they charge now but you might want to check it out.

We've since stayed several times at D'Angleterre ..breakfast not worth it.. Millesime..pretty good but rather pricey. and our current favorite du Danube..we go to Paul!!! But I can walk a block or two!
Apr 24th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Just a few blocks to the east on corner of St. Andre des Arts and rue de l'Eperon is Allard, a quintessential Parisian bistro. Good food and prix fixe is ~33 euro.
Apr 24th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Any bar will serve you coffee, tea or hot chocolate plus croissants.

Paul is a chain just like McDonalds...
Apr 24th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Jody mentioned Le Petit St. Benoit (I think there's the St., but maybe not). For me this is the bargain hunting traveler's all-time find. It's at the far end of the street and was a hangout of Beauvoir, Camus, etc. In the old days they served whatever was going cheap at Les Halles, and it's still a charming bargain. I ate there in '03 and had a very good three course meal for around $25. And the waitresses were a little feisty in a pleasant way.
Apr 24th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Hi, we stayed at the Verneuil in January. The staff recommended La Petite Cour, rue Mabillon, on the same side of the street as Aux Charpentiers which is just next door pracitally. Was good and there is a prix fixe dinner at around 36 euro and there is one less expensive prix fixe menu as well. www.la-petitecour.com

Also Vernueil recommended on a previous visit Le Bistrot de Paris which I really liked alot. It's about a few blocks from the hotel at 33 rue de Lille. I was sorry they were closed for New Year's vacation when I was last in Paris. It's a medium sized restaurant with mirrors and wood, very old-style.

I don't recommend Vagenende. The quality was not good for the prices they charge.
Apr 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM

As to b'fast, I do recommend Boulangerie Paul as well. It's at 77 rue de Seine right near to rue de Buci. I used to like the buffet continental b'fast at the Verneuil, but it's a bit tiresome now. The cost is 12 euro. You get fresh fruit salad, cereals, coffee/tea/chocolat chaud, viennosieries, jam, butter, fresh juice. Paul serves a continental b'fast for approxiately 8 euro or for around 9+ euro a complet breakfast with eggs of your choice. It was fine for a change.
Apr 24th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Any other "must" restaurants on islands or Latin quarter?
THANKS,
Brenda
Apr 24th, 2005, 02:10 PM

"Paul is a chain just like McDonalds..."

I'm sure Moxie meant this as a joke.
When was the last time you looked into a McDonald's at 4 AM and saw a whole staff of bakers baking fresh pastries from hand made dough?
Apr 24th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Yes, Paul's is a chain like McDonald's, but so is Four Seasons a chain like Motel 6. Interesting comparison, moxie.

After a few breakfasts at Paul's, brenda, take what you've saved and have breakfast at a place like Le Bonaparte or Deux Magot on the square at St. Germain. You'll spend a fortune on a croissant, baguette, OJ, and coffee; but....you're in Paris.

For dinner, try Petit Zinc and Fish, both of which I think you could get by for under $100.
Apr 24th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Just across the street from Odeon Theatre there are many cafes and Braseries . . most are good

Rich

Search this Thread