Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for inside scoop for St. Germaine, 6th arr.

Notices

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are spending a quick 4 days in Paris Nov. 16-20 and will be staying at L'Hotel de Abbaye in the 6th arr./St. Germaine/Montparnasse area. I've done some searches on this forum but am still looking for some 'inside scoop' on bistros or eateries. This is our 3rd trip but never stayed in this arr. We know about the major sights located near the hotel, and have heard about la Coupole, le Café de Flore, la Brasserie Lipp, les Deux Magots, and la Closerie des lilas but am looking for suggestions on fun bistros, or newly discovered cafés. Or maybe I've got it covered? Anyone have a fave to recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:50 AM

We're ready for you!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34538493
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Here's my list:
III: L’As du Fallafel, cheap lunch in Marais, 34 Rue des Rosiers
III: Chez L’Ami Louis, ultimate bistro, food-coma, roast chicken/steak/foie gras, 32 rue du Vertbois @ Arts-Metiers metro stop
IV: Fleur de Isle, awesome breakfast w/view of Notre Dame, Ile Saint-Louis (shop at THE BEST chocolate shop on rue St. Louis afterwards)
IV: Mon Viel Ami, communal table, minimalist décor, market driven menu, 69 rue St. Louis, Ile St. Louis
IV: Mariages Freres, tea house + pastry, 30 rue du Bourg-Tibourg @ Hotel de Ville
VI: Le Relais de l’Entrecote, steak and frittes, 20 rue Saint-Benoit @ Odeon
VI: Mariages Freres, tea house + pastry, 13 rue des Grands Augustins @ St Michel
VII: L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon, bar-seating, watch kitchen, small plates, 5 fue de Montalembert @ rue de Bac
VII: L’Epi Dupin, small bistro, market-driven menu, staying power of one of hottest places on left bank, 11 rue Dupin @ Sevres-Babylon
VII GROCREY: La Grand Epicerie, 38 rue de Sevres @ Babylon
VIII: Bar de Theatres 6, steak tartare, Ave Montaigne @ Alma/Marceau
VIII: Le Relais de l’Entrecote, steak and frittes, 15 rue Marbeuf @ FD Roosevelt
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:06 AM
tod

Kehsutton - I don't know about anyone else but for heaven's sake don't try and have dinner at Cafe de Flore or Deux Magots. Snack maybe and definitely a Kir while you people watch but that about it.
You certainly have been given enough amunition to be able to leave those two out!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:07 AM

More:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34540103
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:22 AM
ira

Hi K,

I have some restaurant reports in the 6th on my trip report:

Ira Does France
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34676645

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:46 AM

My wife and I have stayed in the area for our last two visits- I will suggest a couple (there are many) restaurants that we liked:
> le Relais de l'Entrecote- 20, rue Saint-Benoit (right off blvd St Germaine)
> Claude SainLouis- 27, rue du Dragon (small and not touristy)
Give them a try- no reservations at former but do reserve at latter -phone 01 45 48 29 68. It was not far from our hotel so I walked over in the PM and made reservation. Great area!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:48 AM

We always stay in the 6th and some of our favorite places are:

L'Epi Dupin on the Rue Dupin, wonderful and very inventive food. Reservations needed well ahead and it is only open Mon.- Fri. Phone: 01-42-22-64-56.
Cafe Bonaparte - Place de Iglise St. Germaine des Pres and Rue Bonaparte. A wonderful place to people watch while eating breakfast or having an afternoon glass of wine. We like it much better than Deux Magots and Cafe de Flore.
Ze Kitchen Gallerie - 4, rue Grand Augustines. Don't be put off by the name, it is a stylish bistro serving delicious Asian fusion cuisine.
Bouquinistes - Quai Grand Augustines. Delicious. You are staying in a lovely area - enjoy Paris!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

You guys are awesome! A thousand thanks for the tips and lists...and, well, just everything. I knew I could count on Fodors. Merci beaucoup!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Just a few things to add. For fabulous pastries, try Gerald Mulot at 76 rue de Seine and Pierre Herme at 72 rue Bonaparte. I really like Cafe de la Mairie at Place Saint Sulpice. Well, to exact, what I really love to do is buy a pastry at Mulot's, eat it in front of the fountain at Saint Sulpice and then have a cafe creme at Cafe de la Mairie.

Recently, I had pleasant, reasonably priced meals at Aux harpentiers at 10 rue Mabillon (very friendly bistro that's been in business forevever; try the roast chicken) and Rotisserie d'en Face at 2 rue Christine (bistro run by the same people who run the more expensive Restaurant Jacques Cagna). There are lots of decent bistros in the streets surrounding Saint Sulpice; you can't go too wrong there.

For a quick and inexpensive lunch or dinner that is surprisingly good, try Cosi at 54 rue de Seine (yummy sandwiches). For terrific Italian-style gelato, try Amorino's at 4 rue Buci. Be prepared to wait in line though! Laduree at 21 rue Bonaparte is a nice tea salon and they sell yummy macarons.

I hope you'll love the 6eme! It's my favorite area in the city. Sigh....

Happy and safe travels,

Kate

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:05 PM

I agree with SASSTraveler on his pick of Relais Entrecote, but there is one within walking distance of your Hotel, right across from the Louis Vitton Store, on thew street next to Les Deux Magots. (OOps, just saw that you mentioned that as well in VI
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:34 PM

For "down home" food from the provinces of France, try Polidor at 41, rue Monsieur-le-Prince. The basque chicken, which always seems to be a plat du jour, is very good. The atmosphere is great - narrow tables jammed together, elbow-to-elbow with the other diners. It's a great place to meet new French friends.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 10:16 PM

Indygirl had a typo...she meant to say Aux Charpentiers with a C. Our favorite little place is Le Bee Bop on Rue Grégoire de Tours just off rue Buci--great food, great live piano music and doesn't break the bank. For crepes on the same street, there a little authentic Breton Crêperie that can't be beat for quality and authenticity down to the cidre and the "gres" dishes/bols used to serve it up in. MMM!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 10:49 PM

Il Vicolo, 34 rue Mazarine. Fabulous Italian food.