Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to buy chocolate in Paris

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Laurina

My husband will be in Paris in late May/early June. I am a chocoholic. Where is the best place to buy chocolates (and hot chocolate ,too) Thanks!

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 07:32 PM
betsy

Friends who recently returned from Paris brought us a wee box of Jean-Paul Hevin chocolates, which are by FAR the best I have ever tasted in many many years of sampling any fine chocolate I can get my hands on.

Bon voyage and bon appetit.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Ursula

Laurina: Even though I am Swiss, I must second Betsy. It's Jean-Paul Hévin. check his own website: jphevin.com (French and English version). You can already choose the box you like to get from your husband! Besides that there is also Ladurée with his famous macarons, however very difficult to transport. But you can still have a look at www.laduree.fr. Bon appétit!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 11:56 AM
StCirq

For hote chocolate, I'd recommend Angelina on the rue de Rivoli. Butonly if you like your hot chocolate exceptionally rich..

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Fred

Here are a bunch of great chocolate shops by arrondisement:
For more Paris information e-mail me- [email protected]

1st arrondisement
Fouquet
22, rue Francois

Jean Paul Hevin
231 rue St Honore

Charles Chocolatier
15, rue Montorgueil

La Fontaine au Chocolate
201, rue St Honore

Godiva
many - don't have addresses but one on rue Castiglione near Place Vendome, another on Blvd Madeleine

6th arrondisement
Christian Constant
37, rue d'Assas

Debauve et Gaillais
36, rue des Sts Pierres

Le Maison du Chocolat
19, rue de Severes

7th arrondisement
Puyricard
27, ave Rapp

Richard Design et Chocolate
258 Blvd St-Germain

Michel Chaudun
149, rue de l'Universite

Debauve and Gallais
30 rue des Saints Peres

8th arrondisement
Le Maison du Chocolat
225 rue de St Honore

9th arrondisement
Le Maison du Chocolat
8 Blvd de la Madeleine

16th arrondisement
Au Duc de Praslin
116 Ave Victor Hugo

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 12:24 PM
jhm

Not sure about the taste, but Richart chocolates are the most beautiful chocolates I've ever seen.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 01:24 PM
elaine

I haven't tried the Hevin chocolates, but I will put in a vote for
La Fontaine au Chocolat, short walk from the Tuileries metro stop. You can buy expensive bon bons by the pound, or inexpensive (relatively speaking) chocolate bars that make great gifts, and they don't mind wrapping just a couple of bars together as a gift. For a very old-world looking shop full of chocolates and other confections,
try A la Mere de la Famille 35 rue du Faubourg Montmartre, 9th. Closed Mondays as I found out on one trip. Not as convenient a location, but the shop oozes charm and insulin shock.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Melissa

I agree, Richart chocolates ARE pretty. You can buy some of them (but not all) at neiman marcus, so you might want to check it out before you leave for Paris, and get something different from Richart.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 04:01 AM
chocolate

topping

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 04:28 AM
c

I am not known for being picky about my chocolates but I do have a fondness for Fouquets and anything from Angelinas.The chocolates in Paris are usually lovely-to look at THere is a small shop on Ille St Louis that has a window of the prettiest sweets, but I don't know the name.If you are there,just window shopping, you will probably see the shop.Have a wonderful(sweet) time..

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 10:39 AM
t

Topping for Sweeties

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 05:45 PM
Topper

Topping

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:50 AM
wendy

have you yet been to Michel Chaudun's on in the 7th? His chocolat is not only delicious, he creates and draws his own designs, creates the molds, uses the finest chocolat and creates the most amazing things!

He has created Russian samovars in chocolat, women's jewlery boxes filled with jewelry pieces (yes, all in chocolat) and these ENORMOUS chocolat eggs, lace like in design, filled with 300 little individual pieces of chocolat (no 2 are the same) and some Saudi Arabian princess came in one day when I was there and asked for 100 of them to be shipped to her residence the following week...and he politely told her no, these were works of art that take months to create just one! The shop is tiny, but a museum, eye 'candy' to say the least, and he has just opened a shop in Tokyo- the 'sweetest' guy you'll ever meet! (no pun intended)

He was in last year's edition of Bon Appetit, and sported Statue of Liberty chocolat pieces...

Bon voyage and bon appetit!

~Wendy~

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:54 AM
c

Aaahhh ~My favorite thread~(favorite topic!

Thank you Wendy, for bringing up such a tastey subject~

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:41 AM
Dean

My advice is....don't limit yourself to one chocalatier! There are loads of them around and just go into any that take your fancy as you pass. Can't remember any of the names but on my last trip to Paris my wife and I randomly popped into various chocolatiers (for chocolates, chocolate cakes and hot chocolates!) and not once were we disappointed!!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:58 AM
Bettie

While I agree with the above I also agree with the comment about shopping around. The big name joints are not the only places to get wonderful chocolates. On our last trip we bought some in a small shop on Rue Cler (sadly I forget the name), run by a lady that had some of the best I have ever eaten, and her prices were much less than the big dogs. She was not the friendliest person I have dealt with but no matter her chocolate making skills more than made up for it.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:54 PM
Ronda

The best chocolates I found were at a shop at approximately 30 rue Saints Peres (near intersection of Rue Jacob and Rue Saints Peres). I looked it up on the Paris Photo Pages but you really can't see the name of the shop in the picture.
http://photos.pagesjaunes.fr/1/d/home_paris.htm

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:30 AM
wendy

For my trip next week, I just booked a chocolat tasting for us with Robert LINXE, creator of Maison du Chocolat at the boutique on Francois 1er, 8eme. If anyone going to Paris would like the information, just let me know.

~Wendy~

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping to see if there are anymore good ideas out there, or if this just about covers it!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronda, at that address is one of the oldest and most famous chocolatiers in Paris:

http://www.debauveandgallais.com/main/cp_intro.asp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -