finding a flight to Rome in Oct: help!

Jul 9th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

finding a flight to Rome in Oct: help!

Okay, so it's been a while since I've been *anywhere* but are the fares from NY to Rome in October really something like $800+ these days, and not even direct? What do people recommend doing? We have tons of miles on American. Just want to get a sense of the best approach to take (and don't have much time to research). Thanks for any advice!
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:29 AM

I've not really looked at fares to Italy, so I don't know if that's reasonable or not. But if you can't fly direct, then the standard trick is to look at tickets to London (typically the cheapest) and then fly a low-cost carrier. Or not even a low-cost carrier, but British Air or Alitalia, or BMI, etc.

Other experts will be able to advise, I'm sure.

Fares this year seem to be much higher than usual. I've had the same sort of problem as well.
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:31 AM

Hi
Yes, that's not an unheard of air fare and October these days is still pretty much considered high season--rates don't tend to drop until November.
Some people who book well in advance (like early this past spring) got some great deals in the $600+ range, but there aren't many bargain fares to Italy this year.

Do some comparison shopping at expedia, travelocity, orbitz, etc.

I haven't flown American to Rome so don't know if it's non stop or not, but many airllines fly directly from NYC area to Rome: Alitalia, Delta, Continental.
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Also, have you tried a consolidator? I've used this one (found out about it here):

http://www.1800flyeurope.com/showspecial.cfm?specid=167

Fares without taxes to Rome advertised at $481, but I'm not sure if you can really get these fares, of course.
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Hey, 111op, thanks! I just called Fly Europe and they quoted me $591 inc taxes *DIRECT* JFK to Rome. Doesn't this seem pretty great? Also, the agent on the phone seemed very competent and thorough and nice. So, you've had a good experience in the past?
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:09 AM

Hi, I just used them for a ticket to London a couple of weeks ago (I was actually off to Greece). They were fine. I did have a slight problem whereby they charged me twice -- long story. It was really the second agent's fault (I wanted to make a change, but the agent misunderstood, etc. -- it's too long a story to rehash). But to their credit, I had my money back.

So, yes, I'd use them again. If the reservation is straightforward, there really isn't any room for them to make a mistake. I flew Virgin and everything was fine.
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:14 AM

By the way, I believe the flights accrue FF files, in case you're wondering.

And $600 does sound quite good. I don't think that you'll be able to do much better by flying to London and then buying separate tickets to your final destination after. Of course, if you're buying a few tickets, then it would make more of a difference. But then you'll have all the additional hassle.

But, as I said, I don't know much about prices to Italy since I don't look at them often. Someone else here may know better.

Jul 9th, 2004, 06:20 AM

If you have tons of miles on AA, you could use them to get to Europe someplace, then use one of the discount carriers to take you to Rome. Pick an entry airport (if you can) that both the big guys and the budgets serve, like Copenhagen, Dublin, Amsterdam or Gatwick (served by AA) then by a cheapo add-on. For instance, on Nov. 1, you can get from Rome (Ciampino, not FCO) to Gatwick on Easyjet for €35. Add that to a $500 or so RT to Gatwick from the US and you've saved something on the $780+ RT fare to Rome that is the best thing offered by the majors.

Or wait a few weeks for the normal fall sales to hit. Right now there are excellent deals in November. Are your plans flexible?

Try www.itasoftware.com for an excellent fare search (not booking) engine.
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:26 AM

$591 is incredible - congrats!!
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:32 AM

One thing -- it bears repeating. Once booked, changes will require a fee, etc. Consolidator tickets can be more restrictive in this regard. But if your dates are fixed, that won't be a problem.
Jul 15th, 2004, 05:58 AM

Jonnofor - that fare is great, however, I don't know your plans at all, but go-today is having a Rome special this fall - 6 nights hotel, plus airfare - decent hotels around 800-1000 total for the package from NYC.

but you really got a great fare, so enjoy!