Fairly Leisurely Ireland itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As background, I've been to Ireland once years ago on a TWA Getaway Tour (remember them?), now would like to go on my own with a partner who's never been. I don't really need to see Dublin again; most of the rest of the sights below will be new for both of us.

Day 1 (stay near Glendalough): Arrival in Dublin; get rental car and head south to Glendalough; just over an hour's drive. - Rest if needed then head out to explore the area. Would like to visit Avoca as well (Ballykissangel fans).

Day 2 & 3 (Stay in Kilkenny): Drive to Kilkenny; Explore Kilkenny City (all sorts of wonderful things including a pretty amazing castle); Explore Kilkenny surroundings including Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle.

Day 4 & 5 (Stay in Kinsale): Drive to Kinsale, possibly visit Blarney Castle (grounds, I've already "done" the Blarney Stone); explore Kinsale, Cobh, visit music pub in Cork City.

Days 6 & 7 (Stay in or near Killarney): Explore Killarney, drive Dingle Peninsula, explore Dingle town.

Days 8, 9 & 10 (Stay in or near Galway): See Cliffs en route from Killarney. Explore Galway, Connemara, and if possible, Inishmore.

Day 11 (Stay in Bunratty): for final night before flight out from Shannon;  Bunratty Folk Park and possibly medieval banquet.

Day 12: flight home from Shannon.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? I think the driving is pretty do-able. Thanks for any input.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 11:12 AM

Just remember that you will be mostly on rural roads - and you need to figure an average of about 30 mph - esp considering the number of sheep you will encounter wandering around (marked with the owners' colors.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 11:36 AM

I always suggest a night between Killarney and Galway. Drive around Dingle on the way up to somewhere inclusive of Adare and the line between Ennis and Quilty/Ennistymon/Lahinch? From there explore The Burren/Cliffs on the way to Galway. maybe even fit Inis Oir and the cliffs mini cruise into that leg rather than Inis Mor.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

I see what you mean, Tony. As much as I dislike one-night-only stays, it does seem to make sense to add a night somewhere between Killarney and Galway. Maybe Adare village itself? Or Limerick?
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 12:49 PM

Not a great fan of Limerick myself and lean more towards Ennis or secondly Adare. what are your dates as there may be something of interest on in the former "Shannon Region".
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

@Tony: I'm thinking "shoulder season" -- early June or late September.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 05:57 AM

I am sure there will be events to match those times but the diaries seem thin at the moment. The main tourist season is July and August when the schools are off and events tend to skirt these months. We will definitely be heading to Clifden in September for Arts week or at least a few days http://www.clifdenartsweek.ie/ but once things get posted we will be off somewhere in May and June as well. Actually May tends to get more regular events.. The Fledh Nua in Ennis starts the 18th as the first big festival of the season.