Ireland Itinerary - 2nd Try

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - after more research, I am trying a 2nd attempt at an itinerary for Ireland in September. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Day 1: Fly into Shannon, drive to Cork
Day 2: Cork
Day 3: Day trip to ROK from Cork
Day 4: Drive from Cork to Galway via Cliffs
of Moher, Burren.
Day 5: Galway/Connemara
Day 6: Galway/Aran Islands
Day 7: Galway area
Day 8: Drive to Dublin
Day 9: Dublin
Day 10: Fly from Dublin

Regarding days 4/5/6/7 - I'd rather not stay in Galway City - is there a good base that we could use somewhere around there for day trips to Aran Islands from Rossaveal; Mayo; and other places in the area? Any suggestions for day trips?

It's going to be Oyster Festival time, and I'd like to avoid Galway City. Also - is it too much to drive from Cork to such a place in one day?

Thanks!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:27 AM

No Dingle? One less day in Galway and a day around the Dingle?
But looks fine too. Blarney Castle at Cork?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:42 AM

3 nights in Cork? Are you visiting somebody? I just remember driving thru Cork on the way to Kinsale, and the stench from Murphy's brewery was horrible. Have you considered Kinsale, maybe 2 nights, and one night in Dingle?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:45 AM

I second the idea to spend a day or two in Dingle. We liked it MUCH more than Galway. The drive around the peninsula is breathtaking.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM

I want to agree with what Strass said. Dingle and the drive around the penninsula is amazing.

In fact, Dingle was our favorite place in all of Ireland.

Kevin
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 09:35 AM

I would really avoid Cork on this trip. It's quite difficult to drive in and it doesn't make a lot of sense to do a day trip to the Rok from there. Consider this.

Day 1: Drive to Killarney or Kenmare.
Day 2: RoK or Beara, or Gap of Dunloe.
Day 3: Drive to Dingle or stay in Kenmare
Day 4: Drive to Dingle if you didn't do this on day 3 and take one day off Galway area. Althogh I would prefer being in Kenmare to Killarney, Killarney would have better access to get to Dingle, do the "ring" of Dingle and stay for the night. If you stay in Castlegregory (hint hint), you would have a slightly shorter trip the next day, one I did in May. You could saty at The Shores in Castlegregory that night.

Day 4 or 5: Drive to Galway area. Consider Oughterard. It's close enough to Galway to get into the city in less than 30 minutes and you can find a number of B&Bs that look out on Lough Corrib. We stayed at The Waterfront which was nice. The owner was very helpful and acyually dried some of my wife's clothes on her line without us requesting it. We came home to dry clothes. We walked directly out to the water's edge.

Those are my suggestions. Your currently have 4 nights in the Galway area. Than can be reduced.

Bill