Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Paris Passes for Museums and Transportation and What to Do on Saturday

Paris Passes for Museums and Transportation and What to Do on Saturday

Aug 16th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Paris Passes for Museums and Transportation and What to Do on Saturday

Bonjour/Bonsoir monsieurs/Mesdames

Will be in Paris staying in St Germain Des Pres (6th) for 8 days arriving Friday afternoon and departing early the following Saturday.

I believe that most museums are free on Sundays, so was thinking of purchasing the Museum Pass for 4 days and using it Monday through Thursday.

Also I believe the transportation pass runs from Monday through Sunday, so was thinking of buying a zone 1/2 pass on Monday.

I think there is another type of pass for buses (hop on/off) and was thinking of getting it for the 1st weekend or just Saturday to get a feel of the city.

Or maybe just staying close to my area and do some site seeing in the general vicinity and visit some parks and markets.

I've gor a full day planned for Sunday, Notre Dame, lunch, St Chapelle. Maybe a Seine Cruise in the evening?

What are the actual names of these passes and where can they be purchased. I believe the museum pass can be purchased anywhere that lets you in and helps avoid lines. Not sure whjat the transportation pass is called now, was the Carte Orange? but may have changed the name.

Please advise,

Merci au revior
Aug 16th, 2006, 05:17 AM

The Louvre is free on the first Sunday of the month. I didn't check to see if that's true for any other museums. However, it's highly unlikely that any museum is free every Sunday.

You can buy the Paris Museum Pass at any participating museum and at a few other outlets. Go to www.parismuseumpass.com for more information. Click on a photo to see see what museums and monuments are covered by the pass and to get opening hours, days of operation, etc.

Be aware that several major museums are closed on Tuesdays and some others are closed on Mondays.

The Carte Orange is good for Monday-Sunday. A zone 1-2 pass costs E16.00 and requires a 1"x1" color photo. You can buy it the day you arrive, but it won't be valid until Monday.

The hop-on hop-off bus tours are L'Open Tour (www.paris-opentour.com) and Les Cars Rouges (www.carsrouges.com). However, you could buy a one-day zones 1-2 Mobilis pass for E5.50 and devise your own tour using the public bus system. The most scenic bus routes are #24, #63, and #69.

FYI, the current price for a carnet of ten single tickets is E10.90. Each ticket allows unlimited transfers on the Metro and RER within zones 1-2 so long as you don't exit the system. Each bus ride requires a new ticket.

Bonne chance!

Aug 16th, 2006, 05:31 AM

I also don't think most museums are free every Sunday...so I would recommend the 6 day Museum Pass for you - it's not that much more than a 4 day pass and definitely one of the many excellent suggestions I got from this forum. We were in Paris last week and loved the convenience of having that pass - we more than made up for the cost, and often avoided waiting on line to get in to various monuments. I think the only ones where we had to wait with non-pass holders were the Notre Dame tower and Sainte Chappelle (although we were told that normally one could skip the line at Ste Chappelle, but that day there was no extra employee available to monitor it that day) There is an enormous list to choose from for the Museum Pass, but it does not include the Eiffel Tower.

Absolutely get the Carte Orange - no question about it! Take your own pictures with you for the Carte Orange - cut them out 1x1 inch size - there is an adhesive strip on the card and you put the picture on yourself. (No one looked at our pictures even once, but they are required)

Have a great trip
Aug 16th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Merci beaucoup.

I think some or all museums are free on the first Sunday of each month. Is Notre Dame and St Chapelle one or two of them? Is there a list that would show which ones are free. I think the Louve and Museum D'Orsay are free the 1st Sunday of the month, not sure of others?

Merci

Aug 16th, 2006, 06:09 AM

There are some which are free the first Sunday of the month - sorry I read your post to say you were leaving this Friday.

Notre Dame if free anyway as it is a cathedral, unless you are talking about going up the tower to see the gargoyles and bell tower. There is an admission for that.
Aug 16th, 2006, 06:24 AM

One comment on free museums - the few I have been to have been very busy. This may not be such a bargain if you cant bet close to anything.
Aug 16th, 2006, 06:45 AM

As I said in my previous post, you can get information on each covered museum and monument at parismuseumpass.com. Click on the English version and then on "Museums and monuments listing." Hold your cursor over a photo and you'll be told what museum or monument it represents. Click on the photo and you'll be given information about hours, etc.
Aug 16th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Museums operated by the Paris city (opposite to the state operated or private ones) are free anytime. There are 15 of them : Petit Palis, Carnavalet, Musee d'Art Moderne (palais de Tokio), Cernuschi....
Aug 16th, 2006, 09:42 AM

I think it's the national museums that are free on the first Sunday, at least most of them. It wouldn't be private ones and the city ones are free any day, as noted.

Ste Chapelle is free on the first Sun of the month, but only in the winter (Oct-March). The museum at Notre Dame is not free first Sun, and is only open a couple days a week anyway.
Aug 16th, 2006, 10:04 AM

website for Notre Dame

www.cathedraledeparis.com

On Sunday there are masses
at 8:30 am, 10am, 11:30,12:45pm, and 6:30 when "circulation of visitors is limited."

Search this Thread