Reload this Page >

Final Ireland Itenerary

Search

Final Ireland Itenerary

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Emma Q

Final Ireland Itenerary

I was just hoping to get some advice on our itenerary. We are in our late 20's, and are well travelled people who DON'T mind driving. That said, here is our plan....<BR><BR>Arrive Shannon, Drive to Kells Priory, Jerpoint Abbey, stay 1st night in Kilkenny.<BR><BR>Day 2: Rock of Cashel, Blarney Stone drive to Kilarney. Stay in Kilarney.<BR><BR>Day 3: Killarney National Park. Stay in Killarney again.<BR><BR>Day 4: Ring of Kerry. Drive to Doolin, take in some music. Stay in Doolin.<BR><BR>Day 5: Cliffs of Moher, then Ferry to Aran Islands.<BR><BR>Day 6: Open so that we can be flexible. Maybe the Burren.<BR><BR>Day 7: Depart Ireland<BR><BR>Some questions: Should we stay the night on the Aran islands, we would be leaving our rental car on the mainland? Also, is estimating 60 KM per hour about right? Anyone had good luck with the Heritage cards? Thank you all so much for your help.

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Mina

Hey Emma:<BR><BR>I am also in my late twenties (as late as one can get, actually) and haven't been to Ireland yet. However, based on help from this forum, guidebooks, and a good map, I figured out my itinerary for October of this year.<BR><BR>Based on all my research, everyone/thing says Dingle is not to be missed. Since you're driving, you may want to consider it. The ring of Kerry is frequented by many tour buses...when I asked all my friends who had been to Ireland on tours, they had only gone to the Ring of Kerry and not Dingle. I believe that's because the roads are too narrow in places for the buses. The consensus seems to be that the Dingle Peninsula is prettier. <BR><BR>Practically everyone talked me out of staying in Killarney. <BR><BR>So there's my Dingle Jingle for the day.<BR><BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:38 PM
xxx

I found 60 Km an hour to be right on.

Old May 18th, 2002, 04:34 AM
xxx

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:17 AM
John

Hi Emma,<BR><BR>60 kph may be a tad high, but not off by an appreciable factor.<BR><BR>You may want to consider substituting Dingle for the Ring of Kerry. The ring is overrated, Dingle is not.<BR><BR>Also the Cliffs of Moher are very near the Burren, you can do both in a day with ease.<BR><BR>Given your itinerary, I would drop the second night in Killarney and head for Dingle - take the ferry across to get to Cliffs of Moher the following day.<BR><BR>Have never used the heritage card.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:39 AM
kdr

I, too, would recommend Dingle over Kilarney. We drove both the Ring and the Dingle Peninsula on March, and much preferred the Dingle Peninsula. The other thing that jumped out at me is the amount of driving scheduled for Day 4, if you do decide to travel the Ring. It would be a very very long day if you try to drive the Ring and then drive to Doolin. Yet another reason to stop in Dingle!

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Sandra

Emma - I also was concerned when I saw your plans on Day 4 to drive the Ring of Kerry and then go to Doolin - seems like too much for one day. We drove the Ring of Kerry (in a small van with our own driver) and it took all day and also biked around Dingle peninsular - I loved Dingle and just liked the ring of Kerry. All of Ireland is so beautiful - but Dingle was magical - a combination of perfect weather, wonderful companions, and breathtaking scenery. Kerry from a van just didn't measure up although we liked shopping at a small town on the ring. <BR><BR>Also the ferry that goes to the Aran Islands from Doolin leaves around 10 or so - which will give you time to get over the the Cliffs of Moher before it goes. As for staying over on the Aran Islands- I wished we had - the island was interesting and we again choose to see it by bike. The ride out to the fort was lovely but a quick lunch and then it was time to hurry back to catch the 3 o'clock return ferry. I did wish we had more time there. Leaving your car at the ferry landing would not be a problem. <BR><BR>Killarny - some said two nights was too much but the National Park was very nice. We took a pony cart ride (in the misty rain) up the gap of Dunloe - but next time (there will hopefully be one) I'd hike the gap and then you can take a boat back. It was described in a couple of books and I think it sounds like a great way to see the area. <BR><BR>Wherever you travel in Ireland is so beautiful that all the time spent going from point a to point b is just as beautiful as the attraction you're going to see.<BR><BR>The Burren was very interesting and you'll probably have time the last day to go there if something else doesn't get your interest first.<BR><BR>Enjoy your visit - <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:02 AM
marylouise

Hi Emma<BR>In 2000, my family of four did purchase a Heritage Card. It saved our family money because we visited several sites that it included. If you can assume you'll visit several sites...do the math and see if the card expense is less than the total admission prices you would pay otherwise. <BR>Obtaining the card and using it was easy so it really just comes down to how many included sites you actually visit. The website, if you don't have it is www.heritageireland.ie<BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:05 AM
marylouise

Emma, <BR>I almost forgot! Let me cast another vote for Dingle. Not to be missed!<BR>Marylouise