Ireland - First Draft Itinerary

Old Jan 10th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland - First Draft Itinerary

Looking for feedback on this draft itinerary. We pick up a car in Athlone and have 11 nights on the road - returning the car in Dublin where we will then have 3 nights before flying out. We are used to driving on the left and coming from Oz, often drive a good distance in a day. However, we want to have a good look around so are in no hurry. I'm thinking of the following - note that the named places are just an idea and we would be happy to stay arou d those places if that's a better idea.

DAY 1 Drive to Sligo - 2 nights
then
Galway - 2 nights
Killarney - 3 nights
Cork - 2 nights
Kilkenny - 2 nights
DAY 12 Drive to Dublin and drop off car.

I know this only covers a bit of Ireland, but that is all the time we have. Not interested in visiting NI on this trip.

Cheers
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 05:19 AM

"We pick up a car in Athlone" As far as I'm aware that means Enterprise car hire? Nothing wrong with that but why collect in Athlone? Assuming a DUB arrival why not rent at the Airport, might or might not work out cheaper?

Other than that the plan looks OK. my regular comment is to put a night between Galway and Killarney that enables a day to get through West Clare, the Cliffs and Burren one day. an overnight between/including Ennis~Adare then drive the Dingle peninsula on the next day before arriving in Killarney. Just Logistically more efficient than doubling back and forth on that stage of the trip?
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 05:47 AM

The itinerary is feasible. Whether it is good depends on what you want to experience. Can you give us some idea of what you want to do?

Not everybody likes Cork city (although I am one who does). What draws you there?

One of my regular comments is that Tony's Dingle drive-by is a daft idea.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:59 AM

Any Dafter than driving Galway to Killarney one day. Then turning round doing Killarney round Dingle figure of eight and Back to Killarney the following day? answers on a post card please
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 09:15 AM

I don't think touring Dingle from Killarney is the best idea, either, but it's a tad more manageable (or less unmanageable).

But you should be more upfront about things, and tell people that you just don't like Dingle, and that your advice is coloured by that dislike.

Galway to Killarney is a fairly easy transfer, with plenty of scope to take things in en route.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 01:06 PM

Tony and Padraig, I liked the Dingle Peninsula, saw what we wanted and got out of there. I have never been back. Just a bit hairy driving for us and we cut a tire on the connor pass avoiding a lorry taking part of our road coming around a bend. Changed the tire in Dingle and moved on. I loved exploring the area around Cork and don't mind the city. Cobh, Kinsale and Midleton are interesting.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Tony - picking out up car in Athlone because we are doing a boat trip (self) for a week before.
Padraig - would it be cheeky if I said we wanted to experience Ireland? We enjoy walking but aren't hikers. We particularly enjoy good food and drink and people watching...
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 02:07 PM

That's fine if you are starting out from Athlone. Just from experience Athlone can be a bit more expensive for car hire.

Its a fairly straight drive up from Athlone to Sligo with possible stops in Rosscommon or Boyle along the way.