Feedback for tentative Ireland itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wednesday, May 19: Arrive Shannon 0755 pick up rental car and head to somewhere above Galway for touring Connemara

Thursday, May 20: Touring Connemara, Kylemore Abbey then back to same B & B

Friday, May 21: Head to Birr region to spend one night, hopefully ride the train for the bog tour

Saturday, May 22: Stay Cashel/Cahir area to see Rock of Cashel, Tipperary Crystal or Waterford Crystal

Sunday, May 23: Tour around the area then return to same B & B

Monday, May 24: To Kenmare/Killarney area, see Muckross House

Tuesday, May 25: Tour Dingle Penninsula then back to same B & B

Wednesday, May 26: To Ennis for our final night

Thursday, May 27: Leave Shannon airport at 1300.

How in this schedule do we tour the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren region? Try to do when we're in Ennis either May 26 or the morning before we leave for the airport? Its been suggested we skip the first two nights in the Connemara region and devote more time to the south. I tend to agree yet knowing my mother will never get back there hope to see as much as possible. Or better to more thoroughly see a little than try to see a lot as a green blur! Is the Kenmare and Killarney area too far away to make it around Dingle Peninsula and back? Thanks for all the thoughts!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:21 AM

Hi again:

You're doing pretty well getting all that you've got in here. My one question is the bog rail tour. Admittedly, I've never done it but it usually doesn't make it into people's top ten lists in Ireland. I would think that you could (though not a short drive) continue on to Cahir for the night. The Birr area is lovely, but again, it's not Dingle. That would give you an extra day and allow keeping Connemara.

You should catch the Cliffs on the day you drive to Ennis. Cross the Shannon on the Killimer Tarbery ferry and then head up to the Cliffs. Ennis is a bit less than an hour from there.

Two possibilities for places to stay near Galway are Cregg Castle and the town of Oughterard. Cregg Castle is a great old building and the owners are musicians. We had a great time there and sta around the fire and played tunes with them. Oughterard is on the west shoreline of Lough Corrib. There a few very nice B&Bs and is a good jumping off point for Connemara. Either is a nice choice.

Bill
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:07 AM

I wouldn't eliminate Connemara, but I would re-think the three nights you've given to Birr and Cashel/Cahir. I'd either eliminate the Birr night or cut the Cashel/Cahir stop to just one night. If you free up one night, you could add it to the Dingle/Killarney area or give yourself a night in west Clare to see the Cliffs and the Burren at a more leisurely pace.

I think you'd enjoy the Dingle Peninsula more if you didn't have to drive back to Kenmare or Killarney. Why not spend that night in Dingle or another town on the peninsula?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:28 PM

After you pick up your car I would head to the cliffs of Moher on my way to the Galway area .This way you can get acclinmated to driving on the other side of the road. Without much traffic or city driving . Get some lunch in Doolin and your first pint in Gus O'Connors on you way to the Galway. this way you can make the most of your first day and it is not too far out of the way to Galway. this is a very common itinerary .
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:35 PM

You will certainly have the chance to see BOG areas as well as walk in the BOG when you tour Connemara. I would also agree to skip Birr.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:12 AM

I suggest you begin with Connemara then work your way down the west coast Clare, Dingle, Killarney and maybe over to Cashel. Driving can be your biggest enemy so don't over reach too much. Otherwise, you won't know that you've done too much until at the end of the trip. I would also suggest booking some b&bs as this effort could save you some headaches, although May won't be high season. Enjoy
ps if you do head over to Birr try to visit Clonmacnoise(sp)which is a very impressive historical and religious site along the Shannon, close to Birr. Also, Kenmare and Killarney are in close proximity(both in Kerry), but they are separated by a mountain pass and a few miles, just for your info.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I really would like to include the Connemara region. I picked a night in the Birr as I was afraid the drive straight through to Cashel/Cahir would be too far. If I delete that night, where should I add it? To Co Kerry (giving us three nights) or Ennis which would give us two nights in each B & B.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 07:00 AM

Hi bmurray:

Every time I plan a trip, no matter how many days it is, I wish I had one more, just like I do when I look at your itinerary. That's OK, if you added one more, you'd want another. I think this is what I'd do, but I'd probably change my mind 10 times.

19 - Galway (just like you planned)
20 - Galway (just like you planned)
21 - Cahir - Depending on where you stay near Galway you could have different route options. Clonmacnoise is nice and if you take a route that takes you near it, go for it, otherwise head straight towards Cashel. The ride along Lough Derg is very nice. I would visit the rock on this day and probably stay in Cahir, but you could stay in Cashel also. Then get up the next morning and see Cahir Castle when it opens. It is likely you will be one of the only people there.
22 - Kenmare
23 - Kenmare
24 - Dingle
25 - Dingle
26 - Ennis
27 - Leave

This would give you two night stays in three places in 8 days which isn't bad. Unless you HAVE to go on a pilgrimage to Waterford, don't do it on this trip. It's out of the way and the only item of interest in the factory tour. It's an otherwise unimpressive city.

There are certainly other options, and it would be nice if you didn?t have to make the longer drive to Cashel, but you can probably make it by mid-afternoon. It will depend on where you stay. It will be a shorter drive if you stay on the east side of Lough Corrib, but would add a bit of driving on your Connemara day. I think, with your itinerary, I would opt for the east side.

Bill
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Bill, Bill, Bill: I don't know how to get around a crystal factory tour. Others (maybe you as well) have suggested Tipperary Crystal instead of Waterford, but it's also out of the way. And, I can't put things off for "the next trip" because I doubt our mother would get another trip. Oh, that sounds so melodramatic! But I'm sure you can appreciate my dilemma
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 11:54 AM

I completely understand your dilemma. If it helps, Dingle crystal is quite beautiful and he cuts it right in his shop in Dingle. I know, it ain't the big factory, but it's interesting and you could probably talk to the cutter. Most of the smaller crystal companies buy their blanks from Waterford. The true art is the cutting. Tipperary is a little closer than Waterford but not enough to make a difference.

My suggestion is this. Carefully consider the absolute must sees for you and your mom. It sounds like Waterford and Kylemore are both on that list. Unfortunately, they are a long way apart which makes it difficult in an 8 day trip, especially with an elderly passenger. Still, it could be done.

You may be stuck with just three nights in Kerry and two in Cahir. You could probably make it from a place like Oranmore (not a bad place to stay by the way) to Waterford in about 4.5 hours if you didn't get lost in Limerick. Then make it back to Cahir or Cashel and make the trip to Kerry the next day. I don't think I would want to do that. I'd probably opt for 2 in Cahir and 3 in Kerry. You could also consider just keeping your options open and seeing how people feel around those days.

Food for thought.

Bill
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 01:14 PM
sss

What about Galway crystal facotry? Big factory and tour comprable with waterford.