Europe trip help

Search

Europe trip help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe trip help

Hi everyone - I had lots of help from the Asia site from Fodorites when my husband and I went to Japan last year and so now hoping for much the same on this site. Briefly, we are hoping to spend about 12 weeks in Europe December through to February next year. This time we plan to take our 19 year old daughter (this could be a mistake!). We fly in and out of Frankfurt.The main places we want to spend time at are Venice, Florence,maybe Rome and Spain. We also thought we might go to Prague. My husband and I last visited Europe in 1984 when you could do Europe on $20 day!! Anyway, we are Australian and wage earners so there isn't a lot of money to spend on hotel accommodation. We thought we would also like to spend an extended period at places like Florence and "immerse " ourselves in the culture.So...I need help with first of all finding an apartment in Florence and Venice and secondly, planning a bit of an itinerary of "must" places. We plan to go snow skiing in Austria in the last two weeks so one of the decisions we have to make is Spain first or Italy first.I have done some preliminary investigation and believe that having a Eurail pass is the way to go. Some ideas please.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 04:13 AM
rex

Welcome to the Europe forum.

While I see that you are new "here" - - how did I know that? click on your own name (this is one of the numerous useful tips that Fodors fails to tell you when they send you that first e-mail confirming your registration)...

...I also note from your posts on the Asia forum, you understood that you should include in the message header something that informs readers about the nature of your questions.

Perhaps, as a (relative) newbie, you have also not taken the time to read the "HELP" (little tiny red letters in the upper lefthand corner) - - another oversight that Fodors fails to recommend to you to do.

Anyhow, you owe it to yourself to take a look there: http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm - - especially http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm#Q6 - - which I have listed below, in excerpt form, for you (my own emphasis added):

=========================

Finally, create a title - make sure it is concise and clearly describes your message (<b>and destination</b>, if applicable) -- and write your message in the space provided

==========================

Thus, when you re-post - - and you really <b>should</b> do that - - be sure and mention <b>Italy... or Spain.. and/or Prague</b> in your message header (though many people, myself included perhaps, will tell you that these three sets of destinatons are too far-flung and disparate to put together into one trip - - I understand that with <i>twelve</i> weeks, you have the time to combine multiple trips into one; this is potentially a $25,000 trip - - are you sure you want to spend that much time and money all at once?)

Given that you had a penchant for budget travel in the past ($20 a day, even in 1984 was pretty budget-minded travel), perhaps you envision doing this trip on half that amount or less - - but don't answer these musings here. Please DO start a new thread; it might be just as important to mention the length of the intended trip (and the fact that you intend to do it all in winter) as much as your destinations (which still be quite unsettled).

Every question here is seeking &quot;Europe trip help&quot;. The message board would be nonsensical chaos if everyone used a message header like yours.

Best wishes,

Rex

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 05:20 AM
ira

Hi al,

Before you buy a railpass, enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com and click &quot;only if it saves me money&quot;.

Also see Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 07:31 AM

If I could make another suggestion - paragraphs might help.

I was lost before I was halfway through your post. When you post again - either do separate questions on single items - or do break this into at least 4/5 separate paragraphs.

(Remember - like the teacher always said -one idea per sentence and one topic per paragraph.)
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a few thoughts to add...

Depending on how often you are moving around, since you mention staying longer and immersing yourself, a rail pass may not be the best value at all. Sometimes 2nd class point-to-point tickets are the way to go on a longer stay when you are not moving around every-other day for example.

Venice is a very expensive city. I think it is one you might stay a shorter time since hotels and apartments there are costly.

To add to the tips above about posting here, once you get your plans underway you might want to post separate questions on your different countries and activities. You've got a LOT packed into this one post (which is fine but people who know specifically about apartments in Venice or skiing in Austria, may not find their way thru your long post).
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Check venere.com and VRBO.com for apartment rentals in Italy. You may want to consider Umbria as a base for exploration,although you may certainly find something in your budget in Tuscany,as you'll be travelling in winter.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who replied and I will take on board all your comments..

I'll have to do some research on Umbria and Tuscany first as this might be an option rather than stay in Florence.

I have already used the railsaver site based on a tentative itinerary and it does suggest using a family flexirail pass but it is early days and I'll have to check your suggestion on the point to point ticket.

I'll get back to this site once I have done some more research and no doubt will have more questions.I will be more specific with my headers.

Hope you like the paragraphs...

BTW Rex what did I do wrong aside from the header that you referred me to the Help button?
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:38 AM

albaaust- Don't worry about Rex, he posts the exact same message for everyone who is &quot;new&quot; here.

You may want to look at low cost airlines to jump from country to country, which can save you time vs. a train. Look at whichbudget.com- it will tell you where you can go from each country, or where you can arrive from.

We booked an apt in Budapest using hostelworld.com, just uncheck all of the other accommodation types and leave apts checked. Ours was very convieniently located and inexpensive.

Have fun!

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:08 AM
rex

&lt;&lt;Rex what did I do wrong aside from the header...&gt;&gt;

Do &quot;wrong&quot;? that word might be considered a little bit strong... (it's not a word I used) - - but in reply, that was the only reason that I suggested taking a look at the FAQs (and I excerpted the relevant portion for you).

As much as anything - - for you, but for other less &quot;veteran&quot; visitors here also, I think it is worth letting you know that thse FAQs are provided - - Fodors never tells you they are there, nor suggests that you look at them. I think many, many new visitors would likely never even notice such an inconspicuous little thing as those little red letters...

In any event, as with many replies here - - the person posting the question is only one of many hundred people who read the replies. I post (sometimes repetitively) information that should be useful to all new visitors here - - especially for the useful things that Fodors fails to tell its new guests.