Electricity in Europe

Sep 14th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12
Electricity in Europe

Will I need a converter for my hair dryer and shaver while in France and Italy? I have the adapter plugs for the wall outlets, but don't I need something to lower the power -- like a converter?
EMLJPL is offline  
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,525
If you do a search here you will find much information on this excat topic.

To summarize, determine if your equipment is 110V or 220/110. If yes, great. The issue with transformers/converters is that they are low ampereage, while a hair dryer is high amperage, so you could burn out the converter. People here have recommended just buying one over there.
Michel_Paris is offline  
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,916
Check your applinaces to see if they are dual voltage. If so, you won't need a converter. For example, my shaver will atomatically switch between 110 and 220. My wife's hair dryer has a knob which must be turned to change the voltage.
TimS is offline  
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,260
Technically you are willing to lower the voltage but not the power.
lobo_mau is offline  
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 57,890
Also look at your hairdryer to see the wattage (how much power it pulls). Some of the super ones- some are 2000 watts - (common in the US) are too strong for european wiring (esp in older buildings) and you can fry both the appliance and the wiring.
nytraveler is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:27 AM.