Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Europe, do we need voltage adaptors?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying in hotels in Italy, do we need adaptors? We will want to recharge our Ipods for the flight home and also my DD wants her hair straightener
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Yes.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Computers and Ipdos usally are dual voltage so all you need is a plug adapter, not a voltage adapter.

Look on the the back of your Ipod and if it has something like:

115/220 V then you good to go. Most major hotels provide free power adapters.

For hair straightner bought in US you will probably need voltage adapter. Not sure it's worth carrying one during a trip. Buy a cheap hair straightner once you are there and it will probably cost a lot less than a voltage converter.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:01 AM

There are voltage converters and plug adapters. Which do you mean?

A plug adapter is a small, passive device that accepts an American two bladed plug on one end and fits into the two pin receptacle in the wall in Europe.

You Ipod will say something like "Input 100-240 VAC". That means that is will accept the 240V electric power in Europe. All you need is the plug adapter.

You can purchase plug adapters online at Rick Steves' website, from REI, or at any ACE hardware store.

If the hair straightener has a switch to go between 120V and 240V, you can use it over there with just a plug adapter. Make sure you switch it to 240V.

If the hair straightener doesn't take 240V, then buy one over there (preferrably) or take a voltage converter. Make sure the converter has the two round pins that go in the receptacles in Europe, or you will also need a plug adapter. Also, receptacles in Europe are recessed, and many converters won't reach into the receptacle, so you might need a plug adapter anyway.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM

You definitely will need an adaptor but not necessarily a convertor. My newer gadgets and appliances have dual voltage. SOme of the older ones have a little switch, the newer ones are automatic.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:19 AM

I'd forget the hair straightener, also, but you certainly can buy a dual voltage one, anyway. As for the Ipod, if you only are concerned about the flight home, a couple batteries will suffice. I carry one on my vacations and never have to lug around a recharger myself, I just use batteries which are more than enough for my main use of it, which is on the flights. Even if I run them down, it's only once. I actually don't have an Ipod, though, but a Sandisk MP3 player.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:31 AM

If DD's hair straightener is 110/220V (which I doubt it is) all you need is the plug adapter to plug it into the wall.

I had to buy a 110/220V straightener for my wife as hers was only 110V and didn't want to take the chance to fry it with a voltage converter.

My guess is your ipod has a 110/220V plug charger, and all you need is the adapter to plug it directly into the wall.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I guess I meant a plug adaptor. I did mention this morning to my DD that "maybe she should leave her hair straightener home". Not a very good reaction LOL>
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:49 AM
ira

Hi TB,

Is the hair straightener dual voltage?

If so, how many watts?

Older buildings in Italy can't always handle the power requirements of dryers, straighteners, etc.

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Buy her a dual voltage -- she'll love you for it. Conair sells them.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:50 AM

I don't believe that the dual voltage appliances sold in the U.S. are strictly legal in Europe (maybe logos can help with this topic). The ungrounded, two rounded pin configuration found on the "Europlug" (standard CEE 7/16) is supposed to be limited to applications drawing 2 1/2 amps or less (600W). I doubt that the hair straightener fits this limit.

For higher power levels, you should be using an appliance with a grounding plug, which should be true of any such appliance sold in Italy.

Note that although the Euro plug fits receptacles all over Europe (except UK), grounded receptacles vary from country to country and grounding plugs from one country don't fit in another country's receptacle. Italy's and Switzerland's grounded receptacles are each unique and won't work with other countries plugs. France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany have all standardized on a common grounding plug configuration (modified Schuko).

The lack of commonality between receptacles in different countries is the reason that hotels in Europe commonly provided hair dryers. In fact, according to the German Hotel and Restaurant Association, which awards stars, any German hotel, in order to have three or more stars, must have a hair dryer in every room.

I don't think the "power police" will come into your room and take away a US hair straightener, but I guess it is possible that it could be confiscated at customs.

Anyway, the best approach would be to buy one in Italy.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A plug adaptor runs about 50 cents at Wal-Mart or $4 at Radio Shack.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:06 AM

>"Europlug" (standard CEE 7/16) is supposed to be limited to applications drawing 2 1/2 amps or less (600W).
Apart from the legal issue. (Electronis devices need to have the CE mark to be legally used in the EU), you're correct that a Europlug musn't be used for those high powered decives. i.e. for hair dryers etc. there is a third plug variety in Germany call "Formstecker". This is an "ungrounded Schuko", where the two pins are shaped like a Schuko. It has just a small round plastic dish and lacks the sliding contacts. It can be used where Schukos are used and is the "legal plug" for a hair dryer.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Just recognize that even with a voltage adaptor & plug adaptor, she may still blow out the fuses on the entire floor of your hotel. Please don't ask me how I know this
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:34 AM

You will definitely need the plug adaptor, but the voltage converters are usually big & heavy -- I just plug my straightener/curling iron in for short periods of time (less than a minute) then unplug, use, replug, use, etc. If you leave it plugged in, it will probably melt AND possibly blow a fuse. If you baby it along, it will work OK. I couldn't find a suitable dual voltage one - I did find a dual voltage hair dryer & clothes iron, and I take those with me, and get along fine with them.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Bring both an adaptor (the three prong to two prong aaptor) and a transformer (not reall ythat heavy, depending on model). Why both? When I went to Lyon a couple of year ago, there was another "unexpected" prong jutting out of the wall plug...so I had to use both the adaptor and transformer to plug anything into the wall.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:42 AM

>If you leave it plugged in, it will probably melt AND possibly blow a fuse.
You need to be aware that this could be lethal. Are those few €'s really worth it? Just be legit and be safe.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the pointers; however I told DD to bring lots of headbands and hair ties instead so we won't have any worries, after all we'll be on vacation in Italy!!
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM

I also take an extension cord as the outlets are never where you need them.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM

I use the adapter plug for the power supply on my camera and laptop. Both have long cords, so an extension cord has never been something I needed. However, since I sometimes use the computer while I am charging the camera, I got one of those 3 way apapter plugs. It goes into the Europlug adapter and accepts both power cords. That's all I've ever needed.

However, tape the Europlug adapter to the 3 way, or to the extension cord, if that's what you bring. The European receptacles grip the pins pretty tightly, and you might pull out the cord and leave the Europlug in the wall. I left one in Germany.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -