Notices

American plugs in Europe!?

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
American plugs in Europe!?

We leave tomorrow for greece:

He have a plug ADAPTER (small thing you plug things into and allows you to plug into their outlets).

Do we also need a CONVERTER to convert voltage?...We have a 110 volt battery charger and a 125 volt (I think) hair dryer (Europe volts are 220 I believe).

I could care less about the hair dryer, but I'd hate to fry my camera battery! Help!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many camera chargers are dual voltage; mine says 100V-240V right on it. If yours does too, you don't need a converter. Otherwise, yes.

I also have a dual voltage hair dryer, but I have to flip a switch to change voltage.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most camera battery chargers are actually dual voltage - double check the "fine print" on yours to see. (My Canon worked just as well w/a plug adapter in Europe as it does at home, for example.)

Your hairdryer will not work without a converter, which IMO is not worth buying. If you decide you want a hairdryer, run to your nearest drugstore, Target, or whatever and get a dual-voltage one, or buy a 220V one in Greece (which you can use for all future trips to Europe!)
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless it says on the battery pack something like: Input-115V/220V. If it does not you do need a converter. Most laptops, at least the new ones have that option, which means that you could plug it in 220, all you need is a adapter, but most other little appliances, unless they were bought in a travel specialty store, and usually that means more expensive, will require a converter. You will be taking a chance otherwise.
Have a great trip!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you!

the battery charger is a Canon one, dula voltage, but not the hair dryer/straightener thing.

whew!

PS...are corkscrews now allowed on carryons?
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not really, but maybe it will go through.
But ask yourself a question, why even try? You could buy one for few dollars there.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not 100% sure about the corkscrew in the carryon bag; it probably depends on the kind you have. Mine is a waiter's "wine key" and has a tiny (dull) kinfe to cut the foil with. I therefore leave it in my checked bag. One of those 2-prong types that you slide in along the side of the cork ("Ah-So", think?) might be okay on board the plane. But since I inevitably have to check one piece anyway these days, I put anything questionable in that bag.