Can you test an adapter b4 leaving?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I borrowed a plug adapter from my aunt. I am going to use it for my laptop. However, not only do I need the plug adapter but i need 3 prong outlet converter, so I have to plug the laptop into the 3 prong converter into the voltage converter (because the 3 prong converter wont plug into the european plug converter)into the european outlet adapter... (when I was testing it, I just used the american adapter instead). It won't work... and now I'm all worked up because I'm afraid it wont work when I get it to Europe for my digital camera. HELP PLEASE!!!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:24 PM

I don't completely understand your post but I'll try to give an answer...
(assuming mainland europe, UK is different)

you are trying to connect your
a. 3 pronged laptop plug (2 flat and 1 round prongs) into
b. a convertor with 3 flat sockets and 2 flat prongs. and the convertor into
c. an adapter with 2 flat sockets and 2 round prongs.

There should be no voltage convertor in the mix. Why wont the 3 prong outlet convertor plug into the european adapter? But if it isn't working here, I doubt it'll work in europe.

Both your laptop and camera adapters are most likely dual voltage (but you probably already knew that).

You can get an entire adapter set (for all countries, including the 3 prong to 2 prong convertor) for about $20 online and in most airport shops for a $5 mark up.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Actually looks like you can get it for < $10
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l&v=glance
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

I better clarify. I am trying to plug my
a. 3 pronged laptop plug (2 flat and 1 round prong) into
b. an ADAPTER that makes it a 2 flat prong into
c. a voltage converter into
d. an american plug adapter because i obviously cant plug it into the european one to see if it works.

Now, I know that i dont need the voltage converter because the battery pack does that automatically but the 2 prong adapter wont go into the european outlet adapter... does that make more sense?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Don't plug the grounded laptop into a two prong adapter, whether in Europe or the US. It's got a third prong for a reason and when you use that 3 to 2 prong adapter, your cutting off the ground (this is for the protection of your expensive electronics)

Best bet is to go down to Radio Shack or Sharper Image or somewhere else and get a US-Euro adapter that's grounded on both sides. It's only going to cost a couple of bucks and you can plug 2 prong gadgets like your camera into it too. And you're right, you can probably leave the voltage convertor at home if both the laptop and camera charger are already dual voltage.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:25 PM

whats the input to your european outlet adapter (n flat/round sockets)? It should have 2 round prongs on the other end.

Did you look at the link I posted? Does your adapter look anything like that?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

If I were in europe right now, the adapter i would be using has 2 round prongs on it. My aunt gave me a converter that has 5 different pieces with it for each country.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:31 AM

Why are you planning to use a converter? Check on your computer's power supply..most of them will accept between 110-220/240 volt input..if so you do not need a converter
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:05 AM

You do not need a converter. And the adaptor your aunt gave you is the wrong kind.

I have several plug adaptors, some are 2 flat prongs and some are 2 flat/1 round grounded.

Just don't mess w/ any of this - buy the correct adaptor plug and be done w/ it. They are very inexpensive. Just because your aunt gave you one does not mean you should use it.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:07 AM

I should have said you PROBABLY don't need a converter . . . . .