COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How many electric converters do I need???

How many electric converters do I need???

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 43
How many electric converters do I need???

I just spent an hour between a local Best Buy and Radio Shack trying to figure out which electric converter/adaptor I should purchase to take with me to my upcoming Paris and London trip. They had a whole wall devoted to electricity converters. Even the salespeople were confused by my questions. They kept reading the boxes and in the end did not have a product suggestion for me.

1. Will the same voltage converter work both in Paris and London?

2. Do I need different converters for different devices? (Laptop, blow dryer, camera charger, game charger, phone charger, etc.)

Does anyone here have the specifics of a converter that will work for all of the above? thank you J.
Be_Cre8ive is offline  
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 10,228
Check you devices first. Some may be dual voltage and require an adapter only, not a converter. For example, my camera recharger is labeled "100-240V", so all I need is a cheap adapter that matches the electrical outlet prongs of the specific country.

Blow dryers and flat irons are well-known for not adjusting well to a converter. Many report "frying" their U.S. blowdryers in Europe, so it is often recommended to buy a blowdryer once you arrive.
ellenem is offline  
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 21,192
Check your devices. Your laptop and chargers should need only a plug adapter because these devices now work on either 120V or 220V. Your blow dryer may have a switch to change voltage.
Michael is online now  
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,289
you can tag multiple countries . . .
indy_dad is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 01:32 AM
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,911
See for information on electricity in Europe. Your hotel probably has a blow dryer hard wired in the room. Check on that before hauling yours over there.
spaarne is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 02:09 AM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 877
Take two adapters (not converters) so that you can recharge your phone and at the same time your camera/computer. Forget about one for the hair dryer. As said above, most hotels and/or apartments have one for their guests. If you need something like a curling iron, just get one when you get to your first destination.
CYESQ is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 02:16 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,212
1. Yes because Paris and London use the same voltage.

2. A converter steps up/down voltage. It needs to convert 110v to 240v. It has no idea what device you've plugged into it.

Most electronics do not need a converter. Look at the device - it usually says 110v to 240v. Therefore it converts the voltage itself.

Your hairdryer will be an exception unless you've bought a dual voltage hairdryer. If you're converting a 110v hairdryer to European current then you'd better have a very low level wattage hair dryer or you could fry the hairdryer or the hotel's wiring. You should buy a cheap hair dryer once you arrive or use the one the hotel provides.

Now here's the important stuff - you will need European adapters. These allow you to plug your device into a European outlet - they DO NOT convert current. Buy a bunch of these.

For further information on converters/adapters search here for the 10,000+ threads on this topic!
adrienne is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 02:28 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,193
The UK plug and French plug are different. The French plug will work throughout Europe.

See here for pictures:

It does look more confusing than it should be. The British plug is 3 square metal prongs and the French one is two round metal prongs.

Voltage is something different as people have said above. Most electrical things these days tend to convert themselves but you should check or you could ruin your appliance. It will say on it somewhere.

KayF is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 06:01 AM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 10,228
The last time I needed one (for Italy), I purchased a prong adaptor at a hardware store in NYC for 99¢.
ellenem is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 06:07 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,212
You have 2 thread on the same topic.
adrienne is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 06:09 AM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,840
I can vouch for blowing fire out of the hair dryer! My husband didn't know I brought my hair dryer or he would have stopped me. I'm not sure how long the power on the floor of the hotel was out but we ducked out soon after the "event".

My flat iron does fine on the converter with it's dual-voltage feature. I echo the advice to buy a hair dryer there if the hotel/apartment doesn't offer one for use. We usually take 3 or 4 adapters between the two of us.
BeachGirl247 is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 06:14 AM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,960
Be crea8tive:

You might want to ask the staff at the hotels you're staying at if they can supply you with converters you need for your devices. That might save you some trouble and expenses.
wanderful is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 07:18 AM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,522
Don't rely on the hotel... they may not have what you need. And you do NOT want a converter... you need a plug adapter for France and another for England.

Your high tech devices will be fine (check the chargers as has already been suggested). Either buy a dual voltage dryer before you go or pick one up in Europe. Almost every modern hotel does have a dryer in the bathroom these days though.
ParisAmsterdam is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 07:58 AM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 17,106
KayF: "The British plug is 3 square metal prongs and the French one is two round metal prongs."

Exactly. You need two different plug adapters, one for France and one for England.

If you look at the pictures in the article that Kay has linked to, you will see pictures of the way the plugs look. You just need an adapter, here's what the one for France looks like:

You plug your American plug into the back of this adapter and plug the adapter itself into the European wall receptacle.

the one for England looks like this:
easytraveler is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:02 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,449
We have an adapter kit that we've had for years from Brookstone. But, this looks pretty comparable to what we have.

We've used it in Europe and Asia without a problem.
Ryan is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 08:35 AM
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 149
It depends on how many appliances you intend to plug in at the same time. I usually bring no more than 2. You can always charge something while you are out. Since I usually home exchange and have the use of my exchangers' phone (which is obviously made for European current), I generally need an adapter plug only for my laptop (if I bring it) and my Kindle (which I always bring). Sometimes I just use my exchangers' computer(s). Much easier.
yentakvetch is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,988
We bring 2 adaptors so we can charge 2 things at once. We have a laptop, a mobile phone, 2 Nooks, and 2 cameras with batteries to charge. With only one adaptor, we have to plan charging time carefully - just easier with 2 adaptors. All of our electronics are dual voltage, so no conversion needed - they do it internally.

We use hair dryers provided by the hotels - only stayed in one European hotel (out of 11) that didn't have hair dryers in the rooms.
november_moon is online now  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 12:44 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,969
I bring 2 adapters. The second one is mostly as a backup. Hotels rarely provide more than one free outlet. So I usually end up using one adapter like this one and plug an outlet expander, something like this to power several chargers at once.
greg is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,181
What Greg says about hotels not having many (if any) free outlets is true. If you have multiple devices which all need charging, read this thread on 240V power strips...

This was invaluable on our trip to Switzerland and Italy the beginning of this month. You'll still need an adaptor, but only one to plug in the power strip.

If you can't find even one outlet (which happened to us in one hotel), unplug a lamp and plug it into the power strip and plug the strip into the lamp's outlet in the wall. The beauty of this one is that the receptacles fit any types of plugs.

You still need to follow the above precautions for hair dryers etc and check to be sure your devices you are going to charge can take the higher current.
kwren is offline  
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 01:15 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 43
TY EVERYONE I really appreciate all your answers.
Be_Cre8ive is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information