Eiger-Grindelwald Hotel, Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone familiar with this hotel? If we change our two nights in May from Interlaken to Grindelwald, this hotel is a possibility. Just wondering though...with so much closed down in Grindelwald in early May, would it be a mistake to stay here?
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Are you talking about the Eiger Hotel in Grindelwald or does it actually have that hyphenated name? I've not stayed there, but know it is right in the middle of town on the main street. It looks nice enough.

Food for thought. We've stayed several times at Hotel Alpina, which except for a week or two vacation is open all year. It is a short climb up from the train station and looks out over the other places. All rooms have balconies facing the Eiger -- spectacular views. It is a small family run place, with delightful staff (Grandma runs the operation), and son is a great chef running a nice kitchen. Nice breakfast included. We've never done the half-pension, but after trying a lot of restaurants in town and liking dinner at the Alpina as much or more than any of them, I'd probably even do the half-pension deal (something I normally never would do).
You can check it out at www.alpina-grindelwald.ch

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, what time of year have you been there? Since I'/m going the first week of May wondering if Grindelwald will have a "ghost town" feel to it?
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 01:24 PM

Always in summer. You may be somewhat right, but frankly I'd love the peace and quiet there. I'd love to experience Grindelwald without the crowds.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 02:08 PM

I have been to Grindelwald many times and in different seasons. Don't worry. It is such a popular tourist destination it never gets like a ghost town.

So are you staying at "Hotel Eiger" in Grindelwald as Patrick asked?
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we're going to stay there. Am going to email the hotel right now for reservation.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 06:55 PM

I've stayed at the Hotel Eiger in Grindelwald several times during ski trips. It's in a great location, right in the middle of town. The owners, Familie Heller, are great folks and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The restaurant in the hotel is very nice also.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 10:29 PM

As Flyfish said, their restaurant is very nice, a great place for cheese fondue and if I remember correctly they serve Japanese dishes(!) too. Maybe not sushi but cooked ones.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:02 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We'll be staying at the Hotel Eiger next week - if I can remember, I'll post our impressions of the place.

We've been to Grindelwald many times, but this is the first time we've chosen to stay there - entirely due to the lack of crowds this time of year!
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We ate at the Eiger one night in September. Really good raclette and cheese fondue. The prices were reasonable and the service extremely friendly. I absolutely loved Grindelwald and would go back in a heartbeat (or when I recoup all the money I spent in Switzerland). Have fun.