Switzerland - Grindelwald

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland - Grindelwald

My husband and I have decided to stay at the Hotel Gletschergarten in Grindelwald. Their web site looks adorable. Does anyone have personal experience staying there?

I am a bit up in the air (even though I've booked the room already) about staying in Grindelwald. I tend to love quaint, cozy, alpine type places (I'm thinking charming chalet type place). I was originally thinking Gimmelwald, or some of the other smaller places in the jungfrau area ... but my husband and I will have a car .. and a few of those places are 'no cars permitted." We also want to be able to, in the evenings, walk into town for dinner, take a stroll and do some shopping. Is Grindelwald the right spot?

Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Sorry, no personal experience with Hotel Gletschergarten.

But I can tell you that Grindelwald will be the right place for you. Just walk a few steps out of the centre and you'll find those Chalets you are looking for. Especially along the so called "Terrassenweg" above Grindelwald (bus running there).

However, in my opinion you find the most charming villages in the Bernese Oberland further west - in the Simmental and around Gstaad.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Hi - we stayed at the Gletschergarten a few years ago and liked it very much. Elsbeth and Finn are lovely hosts. We had one really memorable evening singing in the piano room with 3-4 other couples until about 2am, and Finn kept pouring the wine. Maybe he'll remember that one

One of the nice things about the Gletschergarten is its location on the far end of Grindelwald, which is quieter and a bit away (but still an easy stroll) from most of the shops, restaurants, and crowds. Enjoy!
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed at Hotel Gletschergarten in Sept. 2003 and loved the hotel. Great view, nice hosts, good food.

Old May 12th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

ooh I'm happy to hear that others have stayed at the Gletschergarten Hotel and more importantly gave it good reviews. We'll only be there 3 nights but we are looking forward to the scenery and hiking.

I think we'll head up to First and hike from there. Faulhorn (sp?) is mentioned on here a bit as well as the traven brochures I have.

Thanks again for your posts!