Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eiffel Tour - Do people really walk all the way up?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A silly question, but at 1,652 steps how long do you think it would take to get to the top?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:40 PM

I would guess about an hour...but you know what? The few times I've been on the Eiffel Tower, I see a LOT more people walking DOWN than UP.

Jules
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:45 PM
mjs

You cannot walk all the way up the tower. The stairs only take you to the second level. You must take the elevators to get to the top from the second level. I do not remember how long it took me to walk up the stairs as I only did it once many years ago but my guess would be 45 minutes.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:58 PM

You can only walk up to the second level. Depending on the shape you are in, it will take 20-30 minutes, but it's quite a climb.

If you want to take the stairs but aren't in good condition, you can take the elevators up to the second level and then walk down. The only access to the summit (up or down) is via the elevators. (There is a stairway to the summit, but it's only intended for emergencies.)
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:23 PM

115.13m from base to 2nd platform. That's not that bad, really. The observation level on top of the Duomo in Florence is over 90m, and that climb should be harder than the Eiffel Tower; steps are much higher too - only 463 steps to get that high. Or the Golden Gallery of St. Paul's in London, which is 85m.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:25 PM

Mjs is correct. I have walked up to the second level and taken the elevator.

The time I went, one entrance at one of the legs of the tower had the stairs open but the elevator turned off. The conversation that I had with the ticket salesperson was roughly.

"Why is the entrance fee cheaper here and why is there no line?"

"Well you have to use the stairs."

"Oh. You get to use the stairs!"
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Ok. Thanks! I think I can handle it to the 2nd level...my friend has been doing the stairmaster and hinted she'd like to hike to the top. This is a good compromise

When we were in Paris a few years ago we didn't make it up because we put it off until the last day. We had beautiful weather all week and the last day we were in line and they had to shut down because of a rain/thunder/lightning storm!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:02 PM

I just got back from Paris this afternoon.Last night, a friend and I braved the subzero winds to have a glass of wine on the first level bar and restaurant.By the way, the top is completely closed off now for supposed construction. You have a choice of 7.70 euros to the second level or around half that to just the first level. We chose the second level and were up there while it did its 10 minute "special twinkle"-gorgeous!The skating rink was still open on the first level which blew me away.Hard to believe that people were out in that unbearable cold weather(hey, I am from Chicago and I thought it was worst than what we usually get).The Jules Verne restaurant was charging for 3/4 courses-125 euros for their cheaper plan? The less expensive restaurant on the first level usually needs reservations even on a weeknight.Even after all these years-Paris is magical!!!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:11 PM

Does anyone know how long the top will be closed? Thanks..
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

dutyfree - Bbrrrrr! Glad you toughed it out. Sounds wonderful in any weather! I will be there end of May so hopefully a little warmer

Yes, does anyone know how long the top is closed?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:07 PM

When I was there in July of 2004, I took a couple of elevators up, walked the remaining steps (probably about 45 mins to an hour) and felt that it was worth it. I definitely spent more time waiting on the line than actually walking the steps because of the crowd - but the view on the top was magnificent, so it was worth every minute of the 2-3 hrs wait.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:50 PM

We took the stairs to the second level in Sep of last year. 1665 stairs, to be precise. It took us about 25 mins and from there, we took the elevator to the 3rd level. Advantages: there wasn't any queue to go up the stairs as compared to the queue for the elevator. It was an interesting experience. It was also slightly cheaper, I think. Disadvantages: It was quite a workout... especially if you're not in very good shape. You could take the elevator up and take the stairs down. Would be much easier, in my opinion. We should have done that, in retrospect.