Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tough climb to the top of the tower at Notre Dame?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling with my parents to Paris and cities in Italy in December. When I was last in Paris, my husband and I missed going to the top of the tower of Notre Dame and don't want to miss it this time. Just wondering if it's as gruelling as the climb to the top of the Duomo in Florence? I know it's not as many steps as the Duomo but that continual spiral motion to the top almost made me sick. Also the fact that it was so narrow, no place to stop and catch your breath and sometime there were people trying to come down as you went up.

My parents are far from old, nearing 70, but my Mom had both knees replaced a couple of years ago and she'll need to take it slow and maybe even stop and rest. Will there be room?
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 10:52 AM

It is a gruelling climb. I don't recommend it for your parents. My wife even kept asking: "Are we at the top yet?"

As I recall, it was narrow and only 1-2 places to stop.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 10:53 AM

It's been a while since I've trekked up there but rather remember that it's not too bad to the first level but if you want to climb up to see the Grand Bourdon (sp?) or the big bell it was a dicey wooden ladder - may be improved by now.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:02 AM

That climb is not for the faint of heart, or those with bad knees, or those with respiratory problems, or those with a fear of heights, or even for those who are very overwieght (it's quite narrow). It's very steep and is, I believe, 380-something steps. Doesn't sound to me as though it would be a great experience for your parents.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:06 AM

I did that climb, as well as the climb to top of Duomo in Florence - while 6 months pregnant. The narrow, winding passageways (esp in the Duomo) made it a bit stifling and claustrophobic. I would not recommend it for your parents, esp given your Mom's knees and the limited breathing space and passageways.

IMO, Notre Dame looks just as magnificent and splendid photographing it from ground floor looking up at the stained glass windows, etc. If you are insistent on going up and seeing a view somewhere, consider the L'Arc de Triomphe (easier to climb), the Tour Eiffel (with elevator), and even the Samartine Dept store's roof-top terrace. While they are not the same thing, at least there is some assistance in getting to higher heights.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:11 AM

I just did that climb this past spring - but I have to admit the specifics of the Nortre Dame climb itself kind of blurs in my memory along with the many other climbs we did in Italy too.

While I recall it was not as grueling as the climb to the top of St. Peter's - I do recall it being narrow - and I don't think there were many (if any) places to completely pull to the side to rest.

My sister's mother in law was able to pause to catch her breath at several points and let people pass her because people going up use a different stairway than those coming down.

However, with your mother's knee replacements she might want to skip this particular climb.

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:22 AM

I just did that climb 4 weeks ago.One climbs a few steps to reach the level where the entrance tickets are purchased ( or the Museum Pass is shown.) Then one climbs steps to the gift shop level..everyone has to wait in the gift shop for a few minutes before being allowed to climb to the gargoyle level.

I'm in fairly good shape, well, at least when it comes to climbing steps, but I was grateful to reach the top and to take a deep breath. There are quite a few steps and they are narrow and spiraling.
The passage around the gargoyles is narrow.

If you want to see the bell you'll have to stoop and then step over a threshold into an antechamber.( I'm 5' 3" tall and I felt like a giantesses compared to the height of the doorway. ) Then there is an additional set of wooden steps up to the bell. These steps don't spiral though Then you climb down the steps and stoop to get out to the gargoyle level, again. Seeing the bell is an option; you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

There is one more level that is accessible via more spiral steps. ( This level is also optional. ) Needless to say, the view from this topmost level is spectacular.

The trip down those spiral stairs needs to be taken into consideration, too, it's the knees that can get wobbly here.

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:25 AM

We climbed to the top of Notre Dame exactly one week ago today! I would not recommend it for your parents, either, especially if they have bad knees. We are fairly fit and in our late 20s, and it took us several minutes to catch our breath once we made it to the top! There are two (or maybe three?) landings where you can stop for a breather, and you won't have to deal with people coming down as you are going up because there is a separate stairwell for exiting. But still, it is a tight, spiral staircase. I'm sure you and your husband could do it, but not so sure about the parents...
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Darn...exactly what I didn't want to hear. The trek to the top of the Duomo is what made me back down from climbing to the top of St. Peter's. Oh well, I'll give them all the details and let them come to that decision.

The really bad thing about the Duomo climb was a little girl behind who counted out loud every one of the 487 steps. After about 100 or so, as I rounded the spiral and was out of her view I said "SSSSSHHHH" really loud. I could barely breath and with the spinnig of the stairs I though for sure she would be the one to kill me.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:37 AM

climb the Arc de Triomphe. Not as grueling, and very nice views as well.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:42 AM

There's an elevator to go up the Arch.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Notre Dame is a snap compared to Eiffel Tower! But I guess that's not your question.

Our just 50-year-old friend struggled with the climb up Notre Dame; not only the physical part, but the stress of being pressed from
behind. And, really, IMO the best reason to make the climb is to see the gargoyles up close. There are MANY other views in Paris that are the equal of or better than the one from the top of Notre Dame.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:55 AM

It's a tough climb even for someone younger. My lovely dh took a picture of me after the climb and we still get a good laugh out of it!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Be sure to get in line BEFORE 9:00 am (maybe this won't be quite so necessary in December). Otherwise you will be in line for a long time. The number of people allowed in is limited to groups of maybe 20 at a time. The museum pass does not cover the tower.
Be sure to go up in the morning when the sun will be behind you rather than in your eyes.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 12:22 PM

When I was there 2 years ago, I flashed my museum pass and waltzed right to the front of the line. Did the rules change? P
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

good suggestions all. The gargoyles are really the main reason I'd go up sice you can get the views from other places. Of course I wouldn't dream of climbing the Eiffel Tower, that's why God made elevators!

Thanks again everyone...5 weeks from today!!!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Wait....I think I need to reverse myself... the Tower is included on the museum pass; <i>the difference was</i> that they would not let anyone bypass the line. Its only benefit was to cover the entrance fee.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 04:52 PM

We've climbed both Notre Dame and Duomo in Florence. And yes, both are hard climbs with narrow spiral stairs. However, the Notre Dame climb is one way. You go up the left tower and down the right tower so everyone is going the same direction. I think there are more to see on top of Notre Dame than the Duomo. Besides the city view, there are the comic looking gargoyles and the interesting aerial view of the drainage system on the &quot;back side&quot;. The wooden Quasimodo tower is worth a peek and not that much more climb once you've made it to the top and rest a little.

You can have your parents wait for you down below so you can take each other's picture once you got to the top!