Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to the top of the Eiffel tower with fear of heights??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I?? I would love to hear some stories about your trip to the top. I am the type that likes to attack my fears and I have been to the top of the Stratosphere tower in Vegas, the Chrysler building and Sears Tower with not much of a problem. But, when I went on the London Eye it was a pretty bad experience. Due to the totally glass pods and the slow ferris wheel type movement I got a bad case of vertigo. So, now I am deciding on whether I will go to the top of the Eiffel tower or not with my family next month. I have walked to the first level before. But, I have heard about the glass elevators and it makes me nervous. So, should I just go to the second level or should I go for it and head to the top??
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:40 PM

I'm not fearful of heights, so I don't know if this info will help you or not. When we went up in the Eiffel Tower, the elevators were so crowded that I couldn't see anything outside. If you've been OK with the other tall buildings you've named, you'll probably be OK with the Eiffel Tower too. If you get to the top and are uncomfortable, you could head down quickly and wait for your family at the base. I'd give it a go, I think. Otherwise you'll never know whether you could have done it, right? We went late in the day so we could watch the lights come on in Paris. Totally awesome.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:32 PM

I think if you have braved going up to the top of the other buildings you will be ok. I have a fear of heights and almost fainted at the Sears Tower so I avoid putting myself through deliberate torture. I have never been to any of the floors of the Eiffel tower and probably never will, it isn't worth it to me. If you do go up take a picture to prove it to yourself later! Have fun.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:46 PM

FWIW, I'd suggest that you go. I don't have much of a problem with heoghts, but I have to say i didn't like it. I did not walk up to the top platfrom.

The safety, however, is in the fact that the platforms are large and the lifts are in the middle. Just go back to the lift and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:29 PM

I would have more trouble with one of those Hyatt Hotel elevators that are all glass on the outside of the building, than the Eiffel Tower..
Heights bother me sometimes and I would not go up to the Stratosphere so I think you might be ok..
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 01:45 AM

Wtggirl, my wife has a major problem with heights, but she went to the top of the Eiffel Tower a few years ago just to prove she could.
The levators are usually busy enough that you can spend the journey looking at the back of someone's head if you need to. You will need to change elevators on the second level, so be ready for that. The top level is ringed with safety glass, so be ready for that as well.
Good luck, you can do it!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:07 AM

I have a fear of heights that involve wide open spaces. It doesn't always affect me however. I have been up the Eiffel tower twice. I loved it. The part that bothered me was not the elevator, which goes up fast and you are crowded in, not the top which is fenced in and glassed, but the second level which is totally open. Unlike anything here in the US which would have fencing and barriers in front of it, there is only a waist high railing. You have to get off of the elevator on the second level to get the elevator to the top. The second time I went up, I didn't have a problem with the openness of the level, I knew to expect it. Go and put aside your fears. It is an experience.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:47 AM

These things can take people different ways at different times. I've been to the top of the Eiffel Tower as a teenager, and had no problem with the second stage quite recently, but I think I would find the top a bit too much now, since I found the London Eye a bit difficult - twice. A gondola up from Garmisch Partenkirchen was hell, especially when it lurched as it passed over one of the support towers and began to cross a deep velly - but open chairlifts that stayed roughly the same distance from the ground have been no problem. I didn't really enjoy the Sears Tower and stayed well away from the glass floor at the tower in Toronto, but one of my worst experiences was at the Tour Montparnasse, which is wholly enclosed and solid as a rock. I was relaxing and relieved to be able to stand right by the window to look at the view when, in the corner of my eye, the window-cleaner's cradle lurched into view. Sounds mad, not to say over-selfconscious, but my stomach turned right over (the window-cleaners didn't, by the way).
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Pausanias

Hate heights. I can't look over the edges of cliffs without getting chills. Got seriously panicked crossing the Throgs Neck Bridge a two years ago -- so much so that I was relieved when rain and fog obscured the view crossing the Firth outside Edinburgh (I focused on the tail lights of the truck ahead, anyway).

I was apprehensive about the Eiffel, but too ashamed to stay below. It was fine.

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:24 AM

I hate heights too. Thought I would do okay on the Eiffel Tower so went up to second floor. Big Mistake. It started in the elevator and then got worse. Enjoy it from the ground!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:57 AM

My husband experienced vertigo on the elevator to the 3rd level, but was ok once he exited the elevator (not really a fear of heights, more affected by the upward movement at such a distance from the ground.)
He had no negative experiences going to the 2nd level.
Another challenge for you would be the observation terrace on top of Tour Montparnasse, 59th floor. You take an internal elevator to the 56th floor, then stairway to 59th - you are then out on a completely open area, with safety fencing. It's a great view - you don't have to stand at the 'edge' to enjoy it, either. Actually, you can enjoy the view from the <i>inside</i> on the 56th floor, where there are panoramic windows and a cafe/bar.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Cassandra

I don't hate heights but we went to the tippitytop of the Eiffel toward closing, when there are big crowds to watch sunset and the lights coming up on the river and over the whole city. The pushing and shoving getting on and off the elevator made me more apprehensive once I figured out that the top was not enclosed (the way the Sears Tower, etc. are), because I was genuinely fearful someone would shove someone and topple over the rail. I kept reminding myself that I've NEVER heard of anyone falling from the top, let alone being pushed over.

I also subscribe to confronting your fears, and it is a glorious sight. But I suggest you try to find a day and time when you aren't dealing with a major crush of people (sorry, I wouldn't guess when that would be -- anyone else?).

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:01 AM

I'm in the camp that isn't a fan of heights, but didn't have a problem with the Eiffel Tower and I climbed the steps up.

I am one that feels if you could do the Stratosphere and Sears Tower you will be fine at the Eiffel Tower. If it were me I would at least try it and if I got panicked I would go back down.

Good luck.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Tough question. Even when you think you know the answer, as Patrick points out, you may not. Someone travelling with me got a sudden attack of vertigo at the top of the Duomo in Milan. He'd never been afraid of heights and never experienced this before. But, we headed for the elevator FAST to get off the roof. Later, he thought it may have been related to the fact that there aren't barriers up there, for the most part. You are free to wander &amp; clamber around on your own.

Anyway, as you sound adventurous, it may be worth it to you to try it. But be prepared for the relatively open second level!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:13 AM
QC

The elevators are always PACKED and you can't see much from them. There is an enclosed space at the very top of the tower. Yes, you should be prepared for the wide-open 2nd level, but you don't have to wander around and you can just stay on the line for the elevators. I didn't notice any sway while I was there, which I always notice in tall buildings.

The tower is surprisingly large for its age and I found the observation decks to be just as wide and good as at the late World Trade Center. No rickety railings, dramatic plunge views, etc.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:32 AM

wtggirl.......I say go for it. It's an unforgettable experience. You may forever regret it if you don't at least try.

My husband is fearful of heights also (and I confess to slight qualms), but the Eiffel presented no real problem. If the openess of the second floor bothers you, immediately get in line for the elevator to the top and don't look right or left. As someone else said, you'll be viewing mostly backs of heads! Hope you'll be able to take advantage of the to-die-for vista on the second, IMHO better than from the third level. The top is quite enclosed, with nothing to be afraid of. Now, for anyone with a fear of CROWDS..........
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We didn't even think of going up the Eiffel Tower (not for fear of heights, for fear of long lines of tourists -LOL).

I find the beauty of the monument is from the looking at it, both from views all over the city, and from sitting on the lawn right in front and under it. Neither my partner or I felt any desire to go up, actually I don't remember even discussing it.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 07:27 AM

It is not very meaningful to compare the 3rd stage elevator of the Eiffel Tower to those within buildings of comparable height (not to mention age) because the latter are generally enclosed and there are no visual cues to increasing height.

When you take the elevator to the observation deck of the Eiffel Tower, you will see the objects and people below getting smaller, as well as the century-old bolts and rivets that hold the tower together. You will also notice the suprisingly thin cable that supports the elevator car.

The last time I was at the top, I kept thinking about the time terrorists almost succeeded in flying a hijacked plane into the tower.

On the positive side, a recent fire at the top level resulted in an efficient evacuation that occurred without incident. The tower is generally very safe, but if your anxiety is too great, a trip to the top may not be as rewarding as it is to most visitors. Some believe that the views from the very top are little better than from the 2nd level.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 07:33 AM

If you survived the Stratosphere, I think you'll be okay on the Eiffel Tower. Prior to 1983, I might not have been able to make that statement, because until the original elevator to the top was replaced in that year, you had to change from one elevator car to another halfway up. This involved stepping across a six- or eight-inch gap between the cars with <i>the ground visible 700 feet straight down</i>.

Relax with a little cognac, and enjoy.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:19 AM

I agree with many of the others, wtggirl.
I am afraid of heights and did just fine this past spring. However, we went on our first day (so tired and jetlagged I could barely stand up straight), at night (so couldn't really freak out at the glass elevators), there were hardly any crowds (no worries there)... but I do remember it and it was awesome!
We actually tried to go again during the only non-rainy day, but the crowds were way too long.
I say go for it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -