Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eiffel Tower: What TIME should I go see it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there in about a week. I hear it's better at night -- I figure the lines will be horrendous at just about any hour -- particularly sunset. What time should I go see it (don't want to wait too long, but I'd like to see it at a "good" time of the day/night). It'll be cold at night, but I guess it'll be cold during the day, too. About how long would you estimate it takes to get to the top (waiting in line, included)? I didn't go tot he Eiffel tower when I was in Paris five years ago - I figure I'll try to go this time around, but want to be "smart" about it. Any advice? Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:13 PM

do you mean "time" as in when the crowds will be fewest, or as in when is the tower the most beautiful? for the latter, here's the link to the live webcam:
http://www.abcparislive.com/eiffel_tower_webcams.htm

i think it's beautiful at many different times of the day. lately it has been kind of misty and at night the tower literally glows. and it twinkles on the hour!

as for the crowds, i presume early or later is best. will see for myself in three weeks . . .

have fun!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Waiting time is highly variable. We've been by there just after opening time and there were no lines whatsoever.

And we've been there two hours before closing time and were told we couldn't queue because we wouldn't make it.

The actual elevator ride takes less than five minutes, but there can be a line at the 2nd floor where you get on another car for the ride to the top.

Have you checked eBay for tickets that somebody has won and won't be using?
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:14 PM

HI
In mid-January we got there about 2pm,no line at all. The top floor deck was closed, but we were fine with the view from the 2nd level, I don't care that much about aerial views anyway.

For a wonderful view of it at night, either see it from Place Trocadero, or take the Vedettes de Pont Neuf boat ride that leaves on the half-hour. On the hour you will arrive at the Tour just in time for its 10 minute light show.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:20 PM

And the best view <i>of</i> the tower (as opposed to <i>from</i> it) is from the Montparnasse Tower or Arc de Triomphe just at dusk. The city stretches away to the horizon in the twilight glow, its lights suggesting habitation but not really revealing any...then the Tower starts to twinkle, and it's like the first big burst in a fireworks show.

Oooooo. Ahhhhh.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:21 PM

When we have elderly visitors, my wife favors lunchtime, via the private elevator to the Jules Verne. Nice views from the restaurant (I am told).
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:21 PM

The 2nd level is really the best for views over Paris...the top level is waaaayyy up there, you can't see as much detail on the ground.

Another great view of Paris is from the 59th floor outdoor terrace of the Tour Montparnasse - costs about 6-7&euro; I think.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:22 PM

We went at around 9 PM in the summer. The lines were very long - first you wait in line for tickets, then you wait in line for the elevator to the first level, then you wait in line for the elevator to the second level, and so on.

If you want to use the stairs, there will be less waiting.

By the time we were done, the metro was closed and we had to find a taxi.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Day and night visits, if you can. In day, you can see all the many legendary sights and landmarks clearly, and get a great appreciation of how beautifully laid out and planned Paris is.
A night visit is a completely different experience, with the lights of LaDefense and the Champs Elysees off to your left and the gleaming white dome of the SacreCoer in the other direction. If you can do both, by all means, do.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Anytime-it is always spectacular. However, since you were there last, they have added strobe lights that go off every hour at night. It's breathtaking.

Mind the pickpockets at Trocadero.

Take the metro to the tower and take a cab home. Passing by the illuminated monuments at night and along the river is a whole other experience.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:37 PM

We felt the best view of the Eiffel Tower was from the Trocadero park directly across the Siene at night. Crowds gather and wait for the tower to twinkle and take pictures.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM

We arrived in the morning about 30 minutes before it opened - and the lines at all entrances were long. We chose the shortest line and still waited close to an hour before we were able to go up.

Of course, there had been cloudy and slight rain days for 2 or 3 days prior, so maybe the lines were due in part to it being the first relatively clear day in a while.