Search

Question re: Eiffel Tower at night

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question re: Eiffel Tower at night

Will be in Paris for a week in March. Would like to go up the Eiffel Tower at night. I just read a post which said after 10pm there was not much of a line, but the poster didn't mention what time of year they were there. How late should we go to avoid a super long line? Or perhaps I should phrase it how early in the evening can we go and not have to wait in a really long line (will be travelling with kids age 10 and 13 and my parents)?

Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:36 PM

I think it's always a gamble, but around dusk where people can wait for nightfall and get both views it can be busy, and anytime on the weekends are the worst. If you go on a weekday (Mon-Thurs) at 9 p.m., I suspect it wouldn't be all that bad. In March it'll be getting dark around 7 or so, so by 9 it'll be nice and dark.

Personally, I thought the night view from the top of the Arc de Triomphe was the "don't miss" nighttime view of Paris. Then you're very close to see the Eiffel Tower and the view down the Champs Elysees to the Louvre, Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame, it's all just spectacular.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've been up the Eiffel Tower 3 times and found that even when there are lines, it's not "Disney long"...it's like 30 minutes or so for us.

Also, read the signs carefully. There are lines for tour groups and lines for individuals. Avoid the tour group line, and things will go quicker.

Happy travels

Jules
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM

I agree with juls4je7, but want to mention that the hawkers can be amazingly obnoxious in the evening, probably since there are so many potential "customers" Be firm with your
NON! Then, you can enjoy your visit.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:49 AM

We went around dusk...no line to speak of to go up. The lines were to the elevator to get DOWN.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:23 AM

I agree with misseypie, the line at the top to go down was as long as the line to go up. Just be prepared.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:48 AM

Lines are extremely variable and change with time of day, weather, season, day of week, and so on, but a wait of about 30 minutes would be very roughly typical.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:23 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Frankly, I don't think 30 minutes is all that long, so that should give us some flexibility.

Jules- Thanks for the tip on the Arc de Triomphe at night. At first, going up it was just on my "maybe list", but I have recently read several posts where people said they loved the view, and watching the traffic from up there - so it has moved to the "must see" category! Can I assume that the lines there are not as long as the Eiffel Tower??
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:42 AM

It is way longer to get down the tower than up.

The view of the tower from Trocadero (at night) is pretty.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:51 AM

We went at dusk to the Arc de Triomphe, and found out that we couldn't go under the underpass to the bottom of the Arch because a military band was playing and they were laying a wreath of flowers at the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier from World War I. I was told they do this EVERY night!

We waited about 15 minutes, and once the band was done, we walked right in, and had no wait at all. Some people who acted like they didn't understand the police instructions (my mother-in-law) got in anyway.

I thought the view was stupendous and is a "do not miss". I didn't get a chance to wander the little museum at the top, but it looked neat.

I would also suggest getting the Museum Pass if you can -- the Arc is covered under it, and most of the major sites of Paris are also covered (I found pretty much all museums and the Pantheon, Notre Dame & Ste. Chappelle)...plus it's a great way to get in to use a restroom around town if you want to find one, or if just want to dive into the Pompidou for a few minutes to peek at an Andy Warhol.

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:40 PM

Great post...Thanks to all for the advice.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:28 PM

There is generally no wait at the Arc de Triomphe—perhaps in part because you have to walk up to the top via stairs (there's an elevator, but nobody is allowed to use it).
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:37 PM
ltr

We used the elevator to go up. I was recovering from a torn rotator cuff surgery and was in a sling. Even without that, you just ask at the info desk right by the elevator.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Unless things have changes in the last couple of years - I also went up the elevator (w/ no apparent disability or injury)
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 09:12 PM

In October, we were told by the young man in the ticket booth that there was no elevator, so we walked up the Arch de Triumphe. After coming down, we saw the elevator and, yes, people were using it!

Regardless, the view from the top at night was, indeed, spectacular and an absolute don't miss. For one thing, the Eiffel Tower--all twinkling lights--is part of the beautiful view which, of course, you won't get if you're ON the Tower!

Though this wasn't our first trip to Paris, is WAS our first trip up in the Arch and we will definitely do it again each trip.