Reload this Page >

Economical hotel recommendations for single, female traveler in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Nancy Conrad

I'll be in Rome for 4-5 days starting Sept. 29, 2002. I could use some help in sorting through all the possibilities. I'm not on a shoestring, but I'll be in Italy for two weeks and need to stretch my financial resources. Thanks, in advance, for any help!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Vita

Hi, Nancy. I;m also a solo traveller. I stayed at the Pensione Panda (www.hotelpandaparadise.com) near the Spanish Steps last October. The room was small but that and the shared bath were both very clean. For this year, I just booked at room at the Hotel Pomezia ([email protected]) in Campo dei Fiori.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:35 AM
Kay

Nancy,<BR>we stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo www.hotelsmeraldoroma.com about 2 min walk from the Campo dei Fiori which is a great spot. There is a market most mornings and lots of cafes and little shops. The area around the hotel is full of very narrow streets with very tall buildings and loads of atmosphere. It always felt very safe, but there were 2 of us. There is a tiny supermarket in a street close by (it's like a maze, couldn't tell you exactly where anything was!). Hotel was fine, small room with tiny bathroom, service not particularly good. Don't bother paying for the breakfast, just pop across the street to the little bar for a cappuccino and croissant. The smells wafting up to our room from the bakery across the street was heavenly.<BR>Kay

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:54 AM
Jim

Hi Nancy:<BR>You ought to lookinto staying in convents. There are many in Rome, incredibly safe, clean, quiet, genrally very inexpensive and most are well located throughout Rome.<BR><BR>My wife and I stayed in convents all throughout Italy in early June and couldn't have been happier. e-mail me for details. BTW the convents cater to all religous persuasions and there is no outward Catholic influence.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:35 AM
topper

topping for Nancy

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:55 AM
Allison

Hi Nancy,<BR><BR>I am also traveling solo by myself in Italy this fall. I've decided to stay in convents and monestaries, when possible. I was given this excellent suggestion by an Italian friend and I'm really looking forward to staying in some of these places. It appears that single women are very welcome, while single men generally are not. Couples are fine, but only if they are married. Families are generally accepted as well.<BR><BR>I'm going to be staying at Casa Il Rosario while I am in Rome. They have been very responsive and have been willing and able to communicate with me over e-mail. They charge ?34 for a single room with shared bath and ?42 for a single with private bath. A double with private bath is ?73. If you are interested, their telephone number is +39 06 679 2346 and fax number is +39 06 699 41106. Their e-mail address is [email protected].<BR><BR>There are many, many convents in Rome. Look at http://www.romeguide.it/FILES/cas_rein.htm for a pretty good listing of them. Not all speak English.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Allison

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:08 AM
Allison

It appears that I need an editor...

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:20 AM
Allison

Hi again Nancy,<BR><BR>Note that Casa Il Rosario does correspond in English.<BR><BR>Allison

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
GAC

I second Kay's recommendation of the Hotel Smeraldo in Vicolo dei Chiodaroli.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:35 PM
Jim

Wife and I stayed at the Casa il Rosario during our June trip. Really loved the place, although the exterior is a little scary for a first time visitor to Rome. Don't judge a book by its cover. It's very nice inside, quiet and wonderful beds.<BR><BR>One note however, I don't know who answers their e-mail and faxes. I had the same experience, all of my faxes were answered in perfect English, although on arrival we found that not a soul in the convent spoke any English. We got by with my Italian and a Rick Steves phrase book. The staff is very kind and helpful.<BR><BR>Great gelato shop one block away on the Via Serpenti, huge selection, good prices.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:06 PM
Allison

Hi Jim - What is scary about the exterior of the building?<BR><BR>Allison

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Sharon Feiner

My sister just stayed in Rome at the Hotel Gulio in Via Nazionale. she said that the single room was small, bathroom large, roooms very clean and would recommend the hotel. I think that she paid about 55 euros a night.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Jim

Note that I said "scary for a first time visitor to Rome." It is situated in the middle of a very narrow alley, amongst what appears to be a bunch of abandoned buildings. Boy how misleading first appearances can be!! We were right smack in the middle of a typical residential neighborhood in the ancient part of Rome. We coudn't have been situated better to just watch our own litle slice of Roman living. Kids going to a school located at the end of the street, little old Italian ladies greeting each other from the streets and windows, sounds and the oh-so wonderful smells of dinner being prepared each evening, the heavenly singing of the nuns each morning and evening, sombody singing opera somewhere on the block, the occasional street argument between drivers.....My God it was wonderful! One of the best afternoons we spent was simply hanging out our second floor window during a rain shower and watching the world go by. If (when) we go back I will definetly stay there again. <BR><BR>Allison you are going to love it!!

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Sherri

You might also try Casa Howard www.casahoward.com there are rooms with private and shared bathrooms . Very clean ; great location .I 'm not sure if it's in your budget probably for a single / shared bathroom it's about$75 give or take; but worth checking out.<BR>Good luck <BR>to the top for Nancy