Hotel Marcus, Rome

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Dori

Hotel Marcus, Rome

I'll be leaving for Italy in a few days and will be staying at the Hotel Marcus while I'm in Rome. I'll be traveling solo so I booked a single. I'm not very picky as long as it's clean, reasonably priced and good/safe location. I expect it to be a small room. I've been reading some bad past reviews. Anyone there recently?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:46 AM
abc

We stayed there easter 2001 in a double room. It was clean, safe, convenient and for the price of the room it was a pretty good deal (considering that you are only at the hotel at night). I would stay there again but I want to try another area of Rome on my next trip.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Dori

Thanks abc.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:25 PM
aj

Dori,

We stayed at Hotel Marcus in May 2001. We really liked the location! A wonderful walk to the Spanish Steps and some of the most expensive shopping in the world (window shopping was free). Any way, the room was ok but the bathroom was really small and I have seen other european bathrooms. All in all I would stay there again though.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Laura

Hi Dori,

I stayed there in 2000 and 2001. It is very small but the location is very good. We didn't like the breakfast at all, so we usually skipped it and bought something at the big self service place on the Via del Corso - cannot remember the name, but you'll know it when you see it - it's the only one around.

If I was going to Rome by myself, I would have no hesitation staying there. The area is very safe, even walking around at night. Lots of police about although I never saw any kind of trouble. Both times it was two women travelling together.

The rooms are small and the bathrooms even smaller, but it is clean and cheap - they'll give you a discount if you pay with cash.

Have fun,

Laura

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Lesli

I stayed in a single room at the Marcus in '99 (?) It was small, and semi-basement level (windows up near the ceiling w/"view" of people's shoes passing by!)

A bit dim and dreary (as many single rooms can be; something on an upper floor might be a bit brighter.) It was acceptably clean, if not quite spotless, and well-located, with helpful staff. I didn't do much but sleep and shower there, so it was not bad for the price.

They may well have spruced the place up since my stay.