Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for a nice hotel in Rome near Spanish Steps --Please help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:00 AM
linda

My husband and I are looking for a hotel to stay at in Rome in July. The Hassler is too expensive. Any reccomendations in the $200-250 range? Thank you.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:11 AM
Roger

Hi, Linda:<BR><BR>Just returned from three weeks in Italy, and stayed at a WONDERFUL hotel in Rome just a few blocks away from the Spanish Steps. It's called Hotel Suisse on Via Gregoriana, 54. Telephone: 06.6783649 - 06.6786172. Two friends and I paid a little less than $200 for the three of us (might be a little more in the summertime). Room includes an in-room continental breakfast. Hotel is very centrally located. Last year I stayed near the Termini, and that was a much less satisfying experience. I highly recommend Hotel Suisse.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:30 AM
lisa

my husband and I stayed right at the steps last fall-it wa called the Inn at Spanish Steps. It is a hallway entrance but nice red rooms. The baths are a bit small but nice. all rooms in rome are fairly small. It is also right next to the famous cafe-cant think of the name....It had a great brkt on its roof. It was 700,000 itl per night with the bkft included.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:43 AM
Marilyn

It's been a few years, but we stayed at the Scalinata di Spagna, which is right across the Piazza from the Hassler and paid a fraction of the Hassler's price. The rooms are small. The staff was great. You eat breakfast on a 2nd floor terrace with a view of St. Peter's. We ate our first breakfast in the open part, but the pigeons caused us to move into the enclosed part the next day. You could always tell the newcomers. They ate with the pidgeons. Check the hotel section of the Fodors site. It's reviewed there. <BR><BR>Friends stayed at the Gregoriano which is just down the steet and liked it very much. I chose the Scalinta because the Greporiano brings breakfast to your room and I prefer the pigeons to eating next to an unmade bed. That's just me. <BR><BR>Have a great time. BTW, the May issue of Travel and Leasure has an article about Rome.<BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 01:10 PM
athena

I always stay at the Hotel Mascagni and I love it. Rome can be overwhelming and what I like about the Mascagni is that it is little bit removed from the madness, near the Piazza della Republica, without being too far to walk to the Via Veneto and Via Sistina. And the service is so gracious. I have also heard good things about the Barroco.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 01:40 PM
Annie

It has been over five years, and I know things change, but we stayed at the Carriage located at 36 Via delle Carrozze. The location is great (the bottom of the steps). The hotel is small, about 25 rooms. Some of the rooms are smaller than others. Room 302 and the corner rooms are larger. It was a good experience for us.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 02:25 PM
cherie

We stayed at the Hotel Intercontinetal at the top of the Spansih Steps/ It was about 250 a night It's beautiful - big rooms - fantastic breakfast

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 02:55 PM
JOdy

we've stayed several times at the top of the Spanish Steps...wonderful views, but when you are tired from walking. the stairs up are a challenge and the other way to the top is a big hill! I prefer the bottom. last trip we stayed at the Valadier and loved it , 5 minute or less walk from the steps , less than 1 minute from Pza. de Popolo and the loveliest service and staff we have ever encountered. we got a fantastic deal thru www.venere.com, a $350.00 room for $140.00 including great breakfast, tax and service. <BR><BR>A friend just stayed at casa Howard, a small boutique B and B..the rooms look lovely. it is near the pantheon..but the pantheon, spanish Steps, Pza navona areas are so close , all with in a 10 -15 minutes walk.<BR>we looked into the de la Russe and the Pincio and they both looked super...you may want to check those out.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:27 PM
silvana

i have been to italy many times (my parents were both born there). hotel<BR>madrid is very close to the spanish steps, is not expensive, and they have<BR>a free garden roof top breakfast every day. also it is near all the shops restaurants, and most upscale nightclub, Gilda.<BR>Enjoy!!!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:39 PM
Wayne

Well, I'll suggest the place I usually stay because it is smallish, pretty convenient, with nice size rooms and baths, and it's around $200 for a double, perhaps less. It's La Residenza, on via Emilia, which is just a block off Via Veneto and about a 5 minute walk to the top side of the Spanish Steps. I just like the neighborhood around the hotel very much; it seems more quiet and still has lots of shops and restaurants.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:23 PM
Jenny

Hi Linda.. We stayed at the Scalinada de Spagna 2 years ago in a room with a fantastic large patio that overlooked the steps and the roof tops of Rome!! It was on the top floor next to the dining area. It is directly across from the Hassler but for half the cost. Of course it's not as elegant but more of a boutique hotel. I don't know if the other rooms have a patio but if you can, I'd try for one. Have fun!!!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:34 AM
cherie

When we stayed at the Intercontinental at the top of the Spanish Steps - we took the elevator up and down instead of using the steps - it was much easier and saved lots of time and energy.