Easiest way to get to Munich Airport from Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling in early Dec in Italy and then on to Salzburg and am considering flying home from Munich. I will be with my mom, who has a bad knee, my dad, who likes things simple, and my brother. Any advice on the easiest/best way to get to the airport? We will not want to stay overnight in Munich. How long is this going to take and is it going to make the trip that much more painful? CAn you get a shuttle and how expensive, or is train the only way?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:08 AM

donno bout shuttles but train is fairly painless:

Take the frequent S-Bahn from the airport to Munich Hauptbahnhof and then hop the hourly express trains to Salzburg - about 3 hours all told tops airport to Salzburg i believe. The transfer at the main station may require an escalator ride to the main level (unless S-Bahn comes in at main level but think most come into the S-Bahn station below the main train station concourse and a short walk.

No problem getting thru tickets at the airport for these trains. Cost - see the bahn.de site for exact fares. And you can even print out your own tickets on the site.

schedules: www.bahn.de
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:34 AM

You can "fly" from Salzburg Airport to Munich Airport - but the plane is a coach
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:57 PM

Go by train.

You have two choices, the expensive way (at 1EUR= $1.36US) by buying 3 tickets at the Salzburg station (Salzburg Hbf.)to Munich Flughafen. This way you can ride on any train you wish. Or the "el cheapo" wayuy at the DB (Deutsche Bahn) ticket counter in Salzburg a Bayernkarte for EU 28 (I believe). All three of you can ride on that one ticket.

Limitation:Trip can't start before 9AM and you cannot take IC, ICE or EC trains; you are limited to one of the Regio types of trains. On the short ride from Salzburg to Munich, this will be a difference of about 15 Min.

Munich Hauptbahnhof (Hbf.) is a head station , so you and your parents will have plenty of time to get off the train. The coach entry is almost level with the platform, so no difficult steps.Most S-Bahn trains (like the ones to Munich Flughafen) leave from the lower level. It can be reached by Escalator and elevator. The latter, however, will require a bit of saearching.

For train chedules and regular ticket prices check www.bahn.de (there's an English version on that web site.)
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM

If you are traveling by rail from Salzburg to Munich there is no need to go all the way to the main railroad station.

Almost all trains from Sal;zburg will stop at the Munich Ost (East) station first.

Get off there and change to the S-Bahn...Line S-8 which willtake you to the airport.

The Ost station is much smaller than the main station with fewer platforms and a shorter walking distance to cover.

I have attached a map of the S-Bahn routes

http://www.angelfire.com/ri/EuroDelivery/metro.html
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM

Train isn't difficult, but we went way easier...took a van that picked us up at the hotel in Salzburg and drove us straight to the airport in Munich. it cost 39E per person, which was a few E more expensive than the train, but then you have to add getting to the train station in Salzburg, and from train station to airport in Munich. It was a breeze! It took about 2 hours (as I recall) for the entire trip. Could not have been easier, and the van was nice and comfortable. We did this in Sept 2004.

I don't have the website, but I do have the email address ([email protected]). You will need to specify in your email that you need a reply in English (if you do). I got a reply in German, and replied that I didn't speak German, and got a quick response in English.

Anne
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick responses guys...I'm kind of new here and everyone is such a great help. I am going to look into both and let Dad decide. Thanks again

BTW - I am looking at staying at the Weiss Taube in Salzburg...I did all smaller family run places last year in Italy and my parents loved it...really added to the trip. Anyone been there?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:15 AM

I'd say Anne's experience was a good one.

Several years ago we took a taxi to the airport from downtown Munich and that cost 45 Euro!