Getting from Munich airport to Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I will be arriving at 9am at MUC (late May)and want to go directly to Salzburg. I don't want to rent a car. Does anyone have advice for getting to Salzburg directly from the airport and not having to take the train from the airport into Munich and then take a train to Salzburg?
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:18 AM

There are two primary ways to get there.
The S bahn goes from the Munich airport to the East Munich station. You can change there for Salzburg. Trains are frequent.
The other way is to take the Lufthansa bus to the main station and transfer to a train there. Not all trains stop at the east Munich station.

For example, the express train that leaves at 11:26 does not.

The advantage of the bus is that it is easier to ride with luggage. The driver puts the heavy stuff under the bus and it stays locked up until you get to the station.

You can get a complete schedule from the Deutsche Bahn web site with little trouble. http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/d

The trip into town takes about an hour. But trains are frequent and require no reservation.

I have never done it directly, but I have spent the night in Munich many times and gone on to Salzburg.

The train is German all the way. In fact in Salzburg, you buy a return ticket from the German people; not the Austrian.
]
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if there are any ways to get to Salzburg directly from the Munich airport without having to go into Munich to take the train. For example, is there a bus or a limo service direct to Salzburg from the airport?
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Singletail

There are a variety of limo and airport transfer services available...use Google to find them...but I think you'll find a transfer directly from MUC to Salzburg to be rather pricey...taking the S-Bahn....S-8 is better...isn't that difficult, luggage is easily conveyed since you get on before anyone else (the trains start out at the airport), etc., but up to you.

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:41 AM
viennese

I don't know what you are willing to spend for the convenience of not going by train. There is a private bus service for € 67 per Person going Salzburg - MUC Airport - Salzburg. One way is € 37. There is a reduced fee for children under the age of 14. Perhaps you can join them on their way back to Salzburg. I never went with them but found it on the MUC airport webpage. Perhaps you may want to check for the times they are going.
If you are flying British Airways, there is a scheduled bus service you can / must book at BA.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 10:08 AM

I'm not flying BA, but through their phone lines you can book the bus service Salzburg Mietwagen. I paid 25 euro one way for a trip coming up next month. It took a while to find it, but I got a paper ticket, as though I were traveling on another carrier.
It connects Munich and Salzburg airport, but also drops off at 2-3 hotels in Salzburg. After a 9 hour flight, it sounds like a good solution to me.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Great info...I am trying to go the other way (Salz to Munich airport). Can anyone point me to a website for these transfer services? I'd much rather pay 30E or so and go directly rather than train and S-bahn combo.

Thanks!

Anne
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 12:48 AM
viennese

For info in English see http://www.salzburgermietwagenservice.at/portal/
Be sure to check the schedule.

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. When I emailed the company, they told me that there is no schedule from MUC to Salzburg and that the maximum wait is 90 minutes.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:51 AM
viennese

You are welcome. I hope this will work for you. Enjoy your stay in Salzburg!

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the info...I went to the website, and while that one page (with the prices) is in English, the home page is in German, and I don't see a link to an English version. I also don't see anything that looks like a "contact us" button so I can email. Can I beg for more help, please?

thanks!!

Anne
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 02:35 AM
viennese

You are right, they don't provide their homepage in English. Don't know why that is. Anyway there is a link to "BESTELLUNG/ORDER" on the homepage. Click on "Order" and there will be an order form in English. But I am afraid that actually fulfills an order, so please be careful!
I found their email address to be [email protected]. I am not familiar with this company or the way the transfer works, so I think you should send them an email with your questions.
Hope that helps for the next step!

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

AnneO, just FYI, I have been emailing them with lots of questions in the past two days and they have been very responsive. I made the reservation over email, I did not use the form. When are you going from Salzburg to MUC? Just wondering if I can get feedback from you if your trip is before mine.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:11 PM

Vienese...thanks so much! I'll send them an email.

DC...I am going in Sept. I have actually been to Salzburg before (Oct 2002), so if you have any questions, feel free to email me. ([email protected])
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:52 PM

Following up.... I sent an email last night; already got a reply. It seems like they don't have set schedules. You just tell them when you need to go, and they will have a van ready. They have 9 passenger vans, and our needing to be at the airport for 9 am didn't seem to be a problem. Cost is 39E/person, which is probably about the same as train/subway fare, but much easier!

I'll book a reservation when our trip gets closer, but I appreciate the info on alternative ways to get to the airport!!

Anne
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
pj

ttt