Munich to Salzberg by Train

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:40 AM
mauld

Munich to Salzberg by Train

I'll arriving at the Munich airport and wanted to go by rail to Salzberg. Is there a rail station at the airport, or do I have to use the main Hbf in Munich to get there? And how long is the journey generally. I've tried to check the German Rail schedules, but since I'm not sure which is the proper station in each city--I'm getting travel times of 5+ hours!! Is that correct???

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:46 AM
GAC

I did this a couple of years ago. Take either the metro train from the Munich airport directly to the Central Train Station OR the Lufthansa bus from the airport to the Central Station. Either is fine. Travel time approx. 45 minutes. At the Central Train Station, take one of the direct trains to Salzburg. Travel time is approx. two hours.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:47 AM
salzburgexpert

When you get to the airport follow the signs for the metro which has its station downstairs. You want the S8 train which will take you to the Munich Hbf. That ride will take about an hour. From the Hbf it is 1 1/2 hours to Salzburg.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:50 AM
GAC

There are also several direct buses from the Munich airport direct to Salzburg, avoiding the need to go into Munich itself. They are sponsored by Lufthansa and British Airways. However, these buses go to the Salzburg AIRPORT, and I'm not sure whether they go into downtown Salzburg itself.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:39 AM
Jochen

Hi,

the website of German Rail works fine, but one as to enter "München Flughafen Terminal" for Munich airport and "Salzburg Hbf" for Salzburg main station. If you enter only "Salzburg" you'll be directed to a village in Germany which has the same name as the Austrian city.

Regards, Jochen

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Paige

You can take the S8 from the airport to München Ost (the east station) where most trains to Salzburg stop and get on there. If you want detailed instructions send me an e-mail and I'll try to help.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 04:13 AM
mauld

Thanks for that info Jochen, now I know why I was getting travel time between Munich & Salzburg at 5 + hours!!!
I also saw on the MUC airport website there is a bus that goes directly from the airport to Salzburg (the city). But that the train (from Airport to Munich Hbf to Salzburg Hbf) would be more scenic. Is that true??

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Paige

The train ride from the airport into Munich isn't scenic at all. The train to Salzburg goes through some pretty mountain scenery but I would bet you'd see about the same from a bus.