Help Me Critique My Paris Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter has been too long in Michigan, and I have become addicted to this board!! Spring is on its way and I want to be outside when that happens, so I am planning ahead. (I have had so much fun over the winter doing this)

Anyway ... we will have been in Germany for about 2 weeks before we arrive in Paris early October by train at around 11 a.m. on a Thursday at Gare du Nord. We'll take the RER and metro to our apartment at the corner of rue Montmartre and rue Etienne. I want to drop our luggage and head over the the market at rue Montorgueile (sp) for a crepe for lunch and some supplies for our apartment for breaksfasts and snacks, wine, cheese, fruit etc. Then I'm thinking we'll head down to Notre Dame, Sainte-Chappelle and Conciergie. I plan to buy 4-day museum passes there. (My husband and I will be there with another couple. My girlfriend is NOT into museums, but we are 50 something women who would like the restrooms if nothing else and her husband does not like to wait in lines, so I'm thinking the passes would still be a good investment. I've wasted a few dollars before) I'd like to wander around a little by the Seine and find a place to eat. Our food budget for dinner is probably 15-25 E per person per evening plus wine (of course), although maybe we would be willing to spend a little more one night. Any suggestions for dinner in the area of our apartment? After an early dinner we'd head to the ET to meet up with Mike's Fat Tire Tour which starts at 7 p.m. Is this way possible in one day?

Okay. So on to Day 2 (Friday). I'd like to get up, take the metro to the Arc de Triumph, get the view from the top and walk back down the Champs Elysees to the Orangerie Museum, spend a short time there and then walk around the Jardin des Tulieries. I guess we'll have breakfast in our apartment, but any suggestions for lunch? I'd like to get tickets for the 3 p.m. fashion show at Galeries Lafayette and then walk around, shop a little in that area, walk around Opera. I guess we need to eat somewhere. Any suggestions? And I was thinking since this is Friday we would "do the Louvre", spend a couple of hours there after dinner. (Are we tired yet?)

Day 3 (Saturday). Have breakfast in our apartment or a bite along the way and head to the ET, spend whatever time we need there and maybe see Napoleon's Tomb. I realize it's a ways to go by metro, but then I'd like to head up to the Sacre Coeur/Montmartre area. I was in Paris once for two days and I loved that little artsy area, Place du Tertre. I realize some of you think it's a tourist trap, but it seemed so Parisian to me my first time in Paris. Anyway, I'd like to spend the afternoon/evening in this area and have dinner (any suggestions?) and just wander around.

Day 4(Sunday). I'm thinking we'd walk to the Marais area, see the Centre Pompidou, Place des Voyages, just wander around. Don't have a big plan for the evening. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, the next morning we'll have to pack up and get to the airport for our flight back home

I realize I haven't visited Ste. Germaine or the Latin District. People seem to like that area. I wouldn't mind seeing the Jardin du Luxembourg, but don't know where it would fit. I don't know if I've tried to fit in too many things or should do things in different orders on different days. I'd appreciate any of your suggestions.

Thanks so much. This has been so fun and you all are so helpful.

Cindy
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 04:16 AM

Hi Cindy.

Well, as you've been to Paris before, even if only for two days, and you seem to have done some travelling, it sounds like you know best your own pace and limits.

I'd have to double-check, but I thought it was Wednesday that the Louvre was open late, i.e. till 21:45 (it also used to be that on Mondays, the Richelieu wing - only - was open till 21:45.) So unless things have changed, and I concede they possibly have, I don't know if you can visit this gallery after dinner Friday, even if you had the energy. So, that's one detail to confirm.

As for your first day, why not make lunch your main meal, and just stock up on a couple of portable nutritious snacks to carry with you on your bike tour. I understand that part of the tour is spent taking a Seine cruise, so you could 'snack up' then. Seems easier than trying to bike on a full stomach, especially after possibly rushing through dinner in order to be at the meeting point by 7 p.m.

I think your idea to invest in museum passes is a good one, even for non museum people. They might feel differently if they know they can hop in and out, sometimes even to the same museum. I would caution that the 4 day ones aren't exactly cheap, and that maybe 2 day ones are enough, especially since your total visit is 4 days.

Bon voyage, have fun planning!

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 04:23 AM

Well Cindy, thanks for getting me to check louvre.fr, for indeed you are right, the Louvre is now open Friday as well as Wednesday evenings (they say till 22:00, I automatically deduct 15 minutes, in case the staff watches run faster than mine do.... ). No mention of a Monday evening opening anymore though, even a limited one. So, you've helped me!

Another good reason for the passes is that the entire gallery is not open every day (something I was reminded of the hard way, the last time we visited) so if you have something special to see, and it's closed on one day, you can see it another day.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 04:31 AM

I am planning a trip for the end of May and have a Friday planned nearly identical to your day 2, so I am curious about the replies you receive. I did not know about the free 3:00 fashion show at Galleries Lafayette, so I just e-mailed my request for a reservation as that sounds like something my sister and I would enjoy. I did want to point out that I believe individual visitors can only visit Musee de l'Orangerie after 12:30p (groups only prior to then), so you should plan that part of your day accordingly. I think that we will end up having lunch before visiting the museum - possibly somewhere on Champs-Elysees. We'll spend about an hour at the Orangerie and then spend the afternoon (from about 1:30/2:00 on) exploring the arcaded galleries in the area before coming back to the Louvre for a late visit (we are actually splitting the Louvre up into two visits - both on their late days - Wednesday and Friday - open until 10p). The Orangerie is also open late on Friday (until 9p), so we might adjust and do both the Orangerie and a little bit of the Louvre after wandering around the arcaded galleries.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 09:25 AM

You ought to dig a little deeper into your pockets when it comes to your food budget. And you expect wine with that?
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM

I believe she said plus wine, not including wine.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Sue, that's a great suggestion of having a bigger lunch and just taking snacks on our boat for the first night. Sounds perfect, a bottle of wine, cheese snacks and the Seine.

I realize the 4-day museum passes aren't cheap, but if we have the 4-day one I won't feel like we need to cram every museum/activity from the pass in 2 days. And we will have the advantage of the bathrooms for 4 days as well

I see the Louvre is open until 10 and the Orangie until 9 on Fridays, so maybe we'll have an early or light dinner or late lunch and do both of those in the evening and have a really late light dinner. I realize we can't see much at the Louvre in 2 or 3 hours, but our friends haven't been and I guess if we're in Paris we should at least try to see the Mona or a couple of the more famous exhibits. I'm thinking the Orangerie is not so large. I'd just like to see the Waterlillies and wander around a bit.

Mrkindallas, have you seen this article in the NY Times about the arcaded galleries in Paris? You may have to register to read it, but it's free.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/03/11...tml?ref=travel

Also, could you let me know how it goes getting those tickets for the fashion show? I'm wondering how far in advance you need to write to get them. (Obviously not THIS far in advance)

Johnnydread1, I realize it's not much of a budget for restaurants, but we are not foodies and have to watch our money some. The price of those dinners can add up fast. Of course I don't want to have BAD food but it's not a priority really. I have some recommendations, although that part of the planning seems overwhelming, so I think we'll leave that a little flexible and hope it turns out okay.

I'm thinking of changing my plan a little and adding maybe a short visit to Musee d'Orsay and/or Rodin and walking a little in the Ste. Germain/Latin Quarter area on Day 3.

Then I'm thinking on Day 4, which is Sunday, we would walk to the Marais area, which is close to our apartment, see the Centre Pompidou, Place des Voyages, wander around a big and then in the afternoon sometime head over to the Montmartre/Sacre Coeu area for the rest of the afternoon/evening. Do you think we could fit that all in in one day, just mostly walking and looking, stopping in a cafe, having dinner somewhere?

I just feel like I need one more day. It's always just one more day ... (sigh)

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

Cindy
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM

I don't know how far ahead you need to really reserve for the fashion show, but you don't have to write them, you can do it by email and they tell you all about it on their website. As far as I know, it is free, so I don't see any reason not to reserve fairly far in advance as you know your specific date. Early October is a very popular time in Paris, so I wouldn't wait until shortly before.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Christine, when I said write, I did mean e-mail. I guess I didn't make that very clear. I have looked at the webpage. Maybe I will just send them an e-mail in the next month and see what kind of reply I get. Maybe at least they'll tell me when I need to or can reserve.

Thanks for the heads up about not waiting because October is a busy month. I tend to want to plan so early that sometimes it seems like I'm way ahead of the reservation curve. But it's fun for me. It helped me get through this long winter in Michigan.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 01:50 PM

CRose...Just posting a follow up. I sent an e-mail to the e-mail address on the Galleries Lafayette website for the 3:00 Friday fashion show and have received absolutely no response. Don't know if they wait to respond to these e-mails or if they have no spots left (I would think they would at least respond to the e-mail), but if I ever hear anything back, I'll post another follow up.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Mrkinddallas, I sent an e-mail as well about the fashion show in October. I know it's too early but haven't received a reply either. Let me know what you hear and I will post back on the same.

Thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM
cb

My family will also be there the end of May & would be very interested to hear if you get any info about the fashion show. My 19 year old will be studying abroad in London this summer so we're making a trip out of it! She's studying Fashion Merchandising, so a fashion show sounds like it would be great!.

We'll only be in Paris 3 nights so, CRose, I may steal some of your ideas! Where did you find your apartment from? I'm trying to get my reservations made & it's all so overwhelming! Thanks for any info!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

We are staying in this apartment. It's small but will be okay for 4 days. We'll be with some really good friends, so there will be four of us. It's a one bedroom with pullout couch in the living room and a little terrace. (I can't wait to sit out there with a glass of wine) It's in the 2nd but I think it will be perfect for us. There are several other apartments, some 2 bedroom. The owner is very nice to work with. Here's the link. Look at some of the other apartments as well. I have e-mailed back and forth with a person who stayed in the one we rented last year and she was happy with it.

http://www.parisholidayapts.com/apar.../louvre44.html

I started my planning way in advance. I've had a lot of fun with it, but I've had a lot of time. It can be daunting at times though.

I haven't heard anything from GL about the fashion show, but I will check back again and call eventually if I don't hear anything.

If you have any specific questions, you can e-mail me. I'm not the Paris expert some of the other Fodorites are, but I have spent a fair amount of time researching.

Happy planning!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:05 PM

ttt
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:32 PM

Have you thought about a trip to Versailles? Perhaps on day 4 or if you can postpone some activities then do it on a day when the sun is shining etc. It is an easy train trip from the city and is so fabulous in every way and particularly if the fountains are on etc .
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

John,

I did think about Versailles. If I had one more day ... always one more day ... I would get on the train and go. But I'm thinking there's so much to see right in the city and I'm afraid I'm already packing too much in. I'd love to see the fountains for sure. I've read it's gorgeous. I might keep it open as an option on a really nice day if things move along faster than I think. How long is that train ride?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. What a great trip it's going to be!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM

This string has been very helpful. I am taking my 14 year old daughter to Paris next week, 6 full days. It has been nearly 20 years since my last visit so my memory is faded of the key sites I enjoyed (although the Rodin museum is indelible). We will use this as a guide to help us not miss the key points. Per the wish for "one more day" we will also use one day for a side visit to Versailles. Thanks again.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:26 PM

CRose...

Today, I finally received a response from the Galleries Lafayette with reservations for the fashion show. This is about 1 month prior to my trip, 5 weeks prior to the show that we will attend on June 1st. I e-mailed my request on March 11th.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Mr. kindallas,

Thanks for the information. I haven't heard anything but I am still almost six months out. I will try e-mailing them again about two months from the date I want.

Glad you finally got your tickets. Enjoy the show. If you think of it when you get back, send me an e-mail or post how you enjoyed the show.

Cindy
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM
cb

mrkindallas, I sent in a request today, so guess we'll see what happens with that. Strangely enough, I'm looking for reservations on June 1st also!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -