Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ease of Bus travel from Positano to Ravello?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 6 will be renting a villa for a week in Positano in late July (so excited!) and we plan to take day trips to various sites. I think we have figured out how to get to Pompeii and Paestum from Positano on public transport (thanks to all the info on this forum), but can we easily get to the little towns, like Ravello? Will the bus be too crowded when picking them up in Positano? We were not planning on renting a car...any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:51 AM

Hi,
You will take the Sita bus at the top of the town to Amalfi (get your ticket from a shop in Positano before you leave). From there you cross to the other side if the square and get the green bus to Ravello. My experience in July/August was that it was very crowded but worth it (and very very cheap). You must get your ticket before boarding from a Tabac which is across the square on the left hand side (I think that is correct but the other side from the sea).

There are also taxis at the Sita bus stop that go up the hill to Ravello but I found them quite expensive. However, I was on my own so if the cost was divided between 3 people (2 taxis 3 people in each) it might be cost effective.

I loved Ravello, the views were IMO the best on the AC.

Have a good trip and don't worry about getting around by public transport - it's easy

Helen
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 11:08 AM

The best way to get to Amalfi, and then Ravello, from Positano is by hydrofoil. They run fairly often in the summer and the trip takes only 15 minutes. The ride is great and what a wonderful view of the coastline between the two towns. The buses are cheap but you run the risk of several passing you by because they are full. A taxi from Amalfi to Ravello is around 30 Euro, possibly more for six people. However, if you go on a Sunday, the buses between Amalfi and Ravello run at a very reduced schedule, maybe once an hour.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 11:42 AM

I took the bus and would never do it again. We waited forever; so long that people waiting to get to connections in other places were paying cars to take them. The bus from Positano was crowded and got more crowded at each stop on the way to Amalfi. I had taken motion sickness medicine, but all the stopping and starting, combined with the very long wait, rendered the medication useless. I was very ill by the time the but got to Amalfi.

We took the boat back, and it was much faster and much more pleasant. I am only speaking about the portion from Positano to Amalfi and back.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 11:56 AM

Would the bus be less crowded from Sorrento to Amalfi ( assuming that you can get one?)?Or can you get the boat from Sorrento ? Also is there provision for luggage in the Amalfi-Ravello bus?
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 02:02 PM

I also prefered the boat, for the reasons mentioned.
We never made it to Ravello (from Amalfi) since the bus didn't show up.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 02:43 PM

Hi Auntie,

My experience witht the SITA buses this past Sept was not good. I stayed in Praiano and the SITA bus to Amalfi was 35 minutes late. I did get a seat.

Once in Amalfi, I had to transfer to the Ravello bus. There was a huge crowd of people who had gotten off the tour buses also waiting for the Ravello bus. The Ravello bus pulled in and about 70 people pushed and shoved to get on a bus that only holds about 30, including standing.

Then the driver proceded to take his 20 minute ciggy break while we waited on the packed bus with no AC. I was pouring sweat and so was everyone else.

Once we made it to Ravello, the town was very lovely with awesome views and nice (very badly needed) breezes.

On the return, there was supposed to be a bus going down at ?? time. I was there about 20 minutes early and waited as I watched the crowd grow to an alarming size. The bus finally came a full hour and 15 minutes late, by which time the crowd had grown to at least 3 bus capacity - and there was no other bus scheduled for another 2 hours. You can imagine the pushing and shoving! Again, once on board, we waited, packed and sweating, until the driver finished his ciggy break.

My recommendation: take a boat to Amalfi and a taxi to Ravello. With 6, it will be well worth the cost!

Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:44 AM

Make as much use of the boat services as you can.Ravello is reached by a smaller SITA bus from Amalfi and there can sometimes can be quite a fight to get on so get to the stop early.The walk down from Ravello to Amalfi via Atrani should be tried an the tourist information office in Ravello will give you a free map
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 03:30 AM

Another drawback about getting the bus : if you are not staying near the main top road in Positanio where the SITA bus stops, & if you don't want to walk up, you may also need to get the little local orange bus (€1, pay the driver, no AC) even to get to the SITA bus stop.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 01:25 PM
ira

Hi A,

I also suggest taking the ferry from Positano to Amalfi.

You will probably have to take the bus back.