Positano in September

Search

Positano in September

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positano in September

Based on your personal experiences, what is the best way to go from Sorrento to Positano? Bus or ferry? I only have one day to spend there so what are the "must sees" in Positano? Would it be too much to try to include Ravello and Amalfi as well? I will be travelling on my own, on a budget, so I prefer to rely on public transportation. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 07:23 PM

I'm not sure that Positano is at all the sort of place that has "must sees." It is more the sort of place to relax and drink in the beauty of the town and setting. There is an acceptable church, but not one worth traveling to see.

How about busing to Positano from Sorrento early in the day, take a look around, shop a little (shopping, relaxing, eating and drinking are what people do there), have a little meal, then bus or boat to Amalfi.

In Amalfi, the cathedral is much more dramatic and the town is more like a town that Positano, which basically is a meandering uphill road. You can walk around a little and then bus to Ravello. Ravello has sites/sights that are actual attractions that people consider "must sees."

Bus back down to Amalfi, bus,ferry or a combination to make your way back to Sorrento.

OR: skip Positano. You can see what there is to see from the boat on the way to Amalfi. IMO, if you aren't staying there, there aren't that many reasons to be there. Amalfi and Ravello have more to offer as a daytrip. Rethinking it all, this second plan would be my choice.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 01:40 AM

If you're on a tight budget, it's good to know that the shopping in Positano is very expensive- the shops there are geared to American tourists.

Must sees in Positano? the town itself, and its just beautiful seen from the water. I agree that you would have a great experience of you take a ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi, a bus from there up to Ravello, where you can have lunch and drink in the spectacular views, then bus back down to Amalfi, which has a Duomo worth visiting, and good shopping- you can bus easily from there back to Sorrento via Positano, even make a stop there on the way back.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 02:54 AM
ira

Hi azure,

There are no "must sees" in Positano. The town itself is the sight.

My suggestion for a daytrip is to take the morning ferry to Amalfi, see Amalfi and Ravello, take the bus back to Sorrento.

If it is early enough, stop in Positano. Get off the bus at the top of the hill, walk down to the water.

Take the Orange bus to Praiano. There is a bus stop near the church. Walk down to the church and get a view of Positano.

Take the SITA bus back to Sorrento.

Bus schedules at
http://www.sita-on-line.it/

Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr...i/costiera.asp

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions! I love the thought of the ferry/bus combination focusing on Amalfi and Ravello which would allow me to see as much of the Amalfi Coast as possible in one day. Thanks again
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 08:55 AM

There are several 8 hr. boat tours from Sorrento for about 25 euros that anchor off Capri for a short swim in the Med, drop off visitors in Positano (if they wish) and stop in Amalfi for several hrs (not enough time though for a bus ride up to Ravello). It was a fun way to spend the day. Another suggestion is to ride the Sita bus along the Amalfi coast (real cheap) to Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. They are all beautiful. Enjoy.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 09:41 AM

A tip for you azure. If you take the ferry to Amalfi, go straight from the docks across the square to the Tabacchi shop where they sell the tickets for the bus to Ravello and buy your bus ticket first. It's a separate ticket, and you can also get your bus ticket at the same time to return to Sorrento via Positano later in the day.