Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buses from Sorrento to Amalfi/Positano...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:58 AM
jerryp1

I'll be in Sorrento next month, and I was hoping to take the bus downt the Amalfi drive one afternoon and have dinner in either Amalfi or Positano. I have a couple questions:<BR><BR>How late does the bus run back from either Positano of Amalfi? <BR><BR>Is thier a more direct rout than taking the amalfi drive bus? I want to do some site seeing on the way down, but it'll be dark by the time we head back.<BR><BR>I'm also taking recommendations for which place would be better. I was planning on Positano, but I'm not sure yet.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the indirect advice from those who post here. This site has been invaluable in planning my trip.<BR><BR>jp

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:23 AM
GAC

Last bus (Monday through Saturday) from Amalfi to Sorrento leaves Amalfi 21:45, Positano 22.25, arrives Sorrento 23:20. On Sundays, last bus leaves Amalfi 19:00, Positano 19:40, arrives Sorrento 20:35. You should re-check departures locally.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:56 AM
david

I think the website for the Hotel Onda Verde has links to the current bus schedule.<BR><BR>Positano is beautiful, and a nice place for dinner, but if you want to experience the Amalfi Drive, you have to go beyond Positano, all the way to Amalfi. The drive from Sorrento to Positano just gives you a taste of what comes beyond; the drive doesn't get spectacular until you pass Positano (IMO). From there, it gets more and more spectacular each time you go around the bend.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Bill Fleites

Yes, the drive from Sorrento to Positano is very scenic and although the road is curvy, it is quite wide. However, from Positano to Amalfi the road gets a bit more curvier and much narrower, and so the ride becomes a little more thrilling as you pray the bus will make it around the next bend.<BR><BR>I would vote to take the bus from Sorrento down to Amalfi, have lunch there and then take the hydrofoil back up to Positano. Spend the afternoon and dine there, then take the bus back to Sorrento. In Positano, I've heard that Buca di Bacco and Chez Black are both fine restaurants although I've not dined at either one.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:20 PM
blemke

Hi,<BR><BR>where do you find the bus schedule from Sorrento to Amalfi?...Does anyone know of a nice photel in sorrento to stay?<BR>thanks

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:02 AM
Steve James

The timetable is onBR>www.uniplan.it/sita/s509.txt<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve