Positano or Sorrento?

Search

Positano or Sorrento?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positano or Sorrento?

After visiting Venice and Florence, we are looking forward to spending 3 or 4 nights on or near the Amalfi Coast. This being our first visit to the area we would welcome any views from those who have visited the the Amalfi Coast. I am keen to stay in Positano, however some friends have said Sorrento would be a better choice. We would like to visit, Capri, Pompei and Ravello.
Love to hear from anyone who has stayed in both towns before.
Thankyou to all who have commented upon your travels to other places in Europe. It has not only been informative but wonderfully entertaining!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 02:27 AM

For Pompeii Sorrento is obvious choice, as direct connection with Circumvesuviana train. Also Capri is accessible from here. I stayed Sorrento, (S Agnello), on our way from Rome we dropped in on Pompeii, styaed there 4 hrs (couldhave been there longer) then on to Sorrento in the evening. Used one day at Capri, which is overrated and crammed with people.(my opinion consider Ischia instead). Do not know Ravello or Positano.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:55 AM
ira

Hi CC,

For what you wish to do, Sorrento is the better choice.

You can take the ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi and the bus up to Ravello. Return on the SITA bus from Amalfi.

Your hotel will give you the ferry and bus schedules.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:20 AM

CatC - Positano wins hands down IMO. No contest ...

Staying in Sorrento does not give you the real Amalfi Coast experience. It's not even on the AC ... It's just a pleasant town with good transport connections.

The minor inconvenience of transport to/from Positano is far outweighed by the spectacular setting.

Go with your first thought. You won't regret it, trust me ...

http://www.pbase.com/mightyone/positano&page=all

Steve
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Depending on what you want to do Sorrento and Positano are different sort of animals. Sorrento has the best transportation options but is pretty hectic and didn't quite have the 'magic feel' we got staying in Positano. I didn't stay long enough in Sorrento to get a better feel of it after hours. Positano had a view to die for and you didn't feel like you were shoe-horned in the place with everyone else on holiday. It got busy between 1100-1400 but the crowd thinned out after reposo.

For transport to Ravello (via Amalfi), you're actually closer in Positano and the bus from Sorrento to Amalfi stops in Positano. There are a couple of options to get to Capri from Positano but Sorrento is the better bet. We didn't go to Capri from Postiano on this trip but the boats looked a bit overcrowded and the cheapest option was 16 Euro on-way.

Eating at Positano was relatively expensive but the food was really good and it was so beautiful we never really felt like leaving Positano. We visited Pompeii on the way to Positano and had plenty of time to do the 2 hour tour.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Positano vs Sorrento >>>
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34736126
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou to all who have responded to my query.
Still deciding- only wish we had more time to stay in both places! Has anyone travelled from Florence to the AC in a day? If so, was it "long and horrendous" or ok? Did not know if we should break the journey.?
Thanks again.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:44 AM
ira

Hi CC,

Florence to Naples is about 3:30 hr by ES*

Another hr to Sorrento.