Due Torri, Teatropace33, or Portughesi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! I've narrowed our hotel choices to the above hotels (I think!). We have stayed at the Due Torri and really liked it but I tend to like to try different places. But I also don't want to stay somewhere that is not so nice. Does anyone know of these hotels and/or have a preference? They are all near Piazza Navonna, which is great, but is there a hotel near the Spanish Steps that is similar to these? That is also a place we would like to try. Due Torri is asking 190 euros per night and the other two are 180. Thanks! (P.S. Hotel Portoghesi is misspelled in the topic message. Couldn't figure out how to correct the title!)
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 06:15 PM

I know the other 2, but I have recently looked at the new Teatropace web site and was impressed. Why not be our test case and report back.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:13 PM

Yikes, this is my third attempt at replying to this post. Hope it works this time.

I have stayed at Due Torri and Portoghese. I prefer the rooms and amenties at the Portoghesi. The day staff at the Due Torri is friendlier, but the dour guys at the Portoghesi do the same job and the furniture and linens and bathroom stuff are nicer. I like the sheets and towels at the Portoghesi much more than those at the Due Torri.

Are you sure about the price at the Teatro Pace? We are reserved there for the first weekend in March and are quoted 130 euros per night. 180 seems high for a hotel without an elevator.

Bobthenavigator, I promise a report on the Teatro Pace upon our return.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 11:01 PM

Teatro Pace opened in May 2004. A friend is staying there for the first time this week. It looks really nice judging from their website. Location is excellent!
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 11:31 PM

Our friends recently got back from Rome and raved about Teatropace. The stairs and charm to the renovated building. The staff were apparently wonderful, breakfast is sent to your room (no dining area) and the location was great. I am trying it out March 13 - 16! So far the reviews I have read in other places have nothing but goo dthings to say about it. Live on eth edge my friend!
P.S> The stay for us was cheaper for three nights instead of two and the dates also make a difference!
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

The price difference for Teatropace33 is in the time of the stay. You can stay in March for 130E but our stay is in prime travel time - June. I am leaning towards this hotel but we are traveling with a couple who are used to 4 0r 5 star acccomodations, so I don't want to shock them (no elevator)!
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:08 AM

I don't know anything about it personally, but I think Teatropace33 does not have a lift, which might be a problem to some people.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:33 AM

No, the hotel lacks an elevator-3 stories I think. So I'm not sure if anyone helps the guests with baggage among other concerns.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 10:01 AM

rbnwdln

Wow, that is a big difference in price for high season. Now that puts a little different color on the whole thing. This is what I am thinking, if you are interested IMO:

1) Your companions. If they are used to the best, they might not like the hotel without an elevator.

2) If I could have had the Portoghesi for the same price I got the Teatro Pace for, I would be at the Portoghesi.

Why? I love the location at the top of via della Scrofa. To me, it is easier to make a quick walk to shopping in the Condotti/Spagna area, and I have grown to really enjoy the businesses at the top of v.d. Scrofa: Antico Forno; the branch of Volpetti; Cafe 1889 and more.

In June, the breakfast room at the Portoghesi should be open to the outside, which would increase the pleasure of staying there.

Oh, and does the Teatro Pace have air conditioning? That would be a factor for me, and maybe for your traveling companions.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 06:01 AM

This post is probably a little late, but for the benefit of travelers considering Teatro Pace and/or Portoghesi, here is my two cents.

We have stayed at both hotels. They are both very nice, but very different. The Teatro Pace is basically a no service hotel. We stayed there in January because the price was right. I just communicated with them last week about staying again after the first of the year. Their price has nearly tripled (same time of year). The other issue is the staircase, you better be in good shape to walk it 3 or 4 times a day.

Love the Portoghesi, the rooftop breakfast room, very clean, staff very helpful (even the grumpy one reported in posts is fine).

The location of either is a toss up.

Given the lack of difference in price now, I would stay at the Portoghesi.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 09:52 AM

If you can get the room in the Portoghesi that has it's own private terrace, take it.
There is, however, one flight of stairs to this one room.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Well, we stayed at the Portoghesi and were very happy. It is similar to Due Torri but a bit less and a bit better location. The rooftop breakfast room was nice but it was Africa hot when we were there so we stayed inside. I thought the breakfast at the Due Torri was a bit better but we were pleased.