Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome: Hotel Parlamento--pulling a switch on me.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked with Hotel Parlamento for a January trip, confirmed on 10/17--- one of the rooms opening onto the terrace---at 95 euros.

TOday they inform me that they're going to be doing construction work and can offer us a standard double at 80 euros.

Does anyone know the "standard" rooms in this hotel?

That's a great rate for Rome, but the only research I had done was regarding the terrace rooms. Those rooms got great reviews, but I've found little about the others. Alas, the rooftop terrace will also be closed, but I guess in January that's not a big deal.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Parlamento wrote back saying the room is 10-14 sq meters, similar to the terrace rooms. I checked with the Smeraldo and was quoted 110 euros for a double. Other hotels seem to be higher.

Still would like to hear from someone who knows the Parlamento's "standard double" rooms. Thx.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:03 AM
cbleigh

Look it up on tripadvisor.com for comments from people who have stayed there. Here are a few:

"When I stayed here just before Christmas 2005, every morning we were woken before 7 by building work. You expect noise in a city, but not to have them working directly in the courtyard of the building you are trying to sleep in. Light sleepers might enquire when this work finished before they book."

"Our room was small, but not claustrophobic and the bathroom (also small) was more than adequate with plenty of hot water in the shower."

"The Parlamento is perfectly situated in that we walked everywhere "

"The Parlamento is excellent value for money. Although the facilities are basic, all basic needs are met. We found the staff very friendly, helpful, and responsive. And the location simply can't be beat. A real find."

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:22 AM

We stayed there for 8 days end of Jan, start of Feb this year in a double for 80 a night and we really liked it. The double paned windows were very effective and we never noticed any street noise. The location is fantastic!! We walked everywhere, including the gall. Borghese and St Peters. The people working there were nice, breakfast was typical and nicely served. Our room had twin beds, an armoire, a small desk and 2 night stands and coat rack on wall. bathroom with shower had heated towel rack and marble vanity. We {daughter and I] thought it was a great deal and very pleasant. lynda
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

lyndash:

You just made my day!! I really didn't want to jump back into hotel-hunting mode. In the email he told me the work will be going on while we're there, but it's 9am to 5pm so that won't bother us. I'm going to write and accept his offer.

CBLEIGH:
I'd read every tripadvisor review back when I was making the reservation. Gave them another cursory review yesterday, but most comments seemed to specify the terrace rooms. Anyway, we're decided...happily. Thanks for taking the time to do all that cutting and pasting!

We'll toast you both in Rome!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

I've now emailed back and forth with the hotel about the details of the room. They've been very nice. Assured me they would assign us one of their nicest rooms.

I'm satisfied. We'll see how it goes and post a report upon our return.