Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you use a 10-10 dial around number to phone Europe...

Dec 29th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

...you may want to check the plan you've been using. Many of us use these numbers to phone Europe for around five cents/minute, but the plans can and do change their terms and raise their prices without notice. So go to:

10-10phonerates.com

to reevaluate. I found that using 10-10-565 is the best rate from my dialing area. Note their 99 cent fee is charged only for the months in which you use the plan.
Dec 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM

I was curious to see if the company I'm using is on there. It is not.

They started as a 10-10 and now a regular long-distance carrier. If I don't use them, no monthly fee. If my calls for a month don't add up to $5 there is a $2.50 fee. If the calls are over $5 - no monthly fee.

The company is Startec. We're using it for a while, at least 5 years.

My son once had Germany on the phone for 70 minutes, we paid under $6.
Dec 29th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Why is all this still so expensive? Germany-US is 2ct/min on 01073, China is 1.6ct/min. Is there a less expensive alternative from the US to Germany? Shouldn't be more than 2ct/min (Calling Card?) Thanks!
Dec 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Logos, it was several years ago

I mainly use it for calls to Belarus which are now 27 or 29 cents.
Dec 29th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Faina, since we phone Europe only sporadically, I was looking for a plan that doesn't require a fee for minimum usage.

I just changed our long-distance service too. For several years, we'd been using Primus, which started imposing a $5/mo fee unless the monthly usage was $10 or more (in any month you use the service at all). Since we sometimes don't make that many long distance calls in a month, I looked for a plan that doesn't impose a fee and signed up with Opex. I found phonedog.com useful in comparing long distance plans.

It's generally less expensive to phone Europe on a dial-around than to use your long distance service.
Dec 29th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Well... my long-distance charges $6.95 dial-up if you use it for both: phone and computer ISP. Sounds better huh
Dec 29th, 2005, 04:58 PM
MaureenB

Have you heard of skype.com? I was told about it by a parent whose daughter is overseas studying. It's a free computer download, for either Mac or Windows, and it allows FREE unlimited 'calling' around the world for anyone who has an internet connection and a computer microphone. I've downloaded the software, but haven't tried it yet.

Dec 29th, 2005, 05:06 PM

I've been using Skype for a couple of years. It's cool, and free. The only problem I've had with it is that creepy people from all over the planet can IM you and ask if you want to talk to them - and every time I use it someone butts in to do that. But otherwise, it's great.

I also use 1016868 on a regular basis at home.
Dec 29th, 2005, 05:08 PM

I use 10-10 987..there is no monthly fee and it's 3 cents a minute, but a 53 cent connection fee. In fact I no longer have long distance service on my phone. I use the 10 10 number or my cell.
Dec 29th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Skype works nice, it's just that it doesn't use the SIP standard like "Free World Dialup" or "Sipgate". If you have a ADSL Internet subsciption (6MBit/30€ per month flat) you get free SIP hardware. So you can use ANY brand of phone for making free calls over the internet to another SIP phone. This way you also get a US phone number for free for your German phone. (free incoming, no long distance charges)

The problem remains however... How do I access the internet while travelling (high speed) and if I can, does it cost more than an ordinary calling card? Plus I still need to take a laptop with me.
Dec 29th, 2005, 07:04 PM

I also use 1010987 to call my family in Italy and France..I used to have astronomical telephone's bill every month before I found out about this company.
Now I can talk weekly with my little sister that lives in Provence and dont feel guilty about it.
We talk once a week for at least one hour. hour
Dec 29th, 2005, 11:04 PM

I use skype ,and if I use it to phone UK its under 2 cents a minute.& most places in the world, & you can block & select who has access to your skype address .
Dec 30th, 2005, 03:25 AM

If you call abroad alot from the UK then check out this comprehensive list of the cheapest ways of doing so -

http://www.niftylist.co.uk/

it compares countries and rates for nearly all telcos in the UK and could save you a packet.