Drive through N Italy,Switzerland, Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and a few other couples plan to do a driving tour in Sept. for about 2 1/2 weeks The route we planned will take us through the following: Starting in Venice, Bologna, Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Genoa, Milan and attend the Monza F1 Grand Prix,,Lugano, Interlaken, Engelberg, Luzerne, Schaffhausen, Neuschwanstein, Dachau, Innsbruck, Venice. Any suggestions what we should see or skip, what to be on the lookout for or what to avoid. What is the best way to find Hotels to overnight, we dont care about 5* just clean is good. I know this is a lot but our itinerary is open.
Thanks
Barnie
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 10:57 PM

If you get to Dachau/Munich during the 2nd half of September, keep in mind that you won't find any (at least no halfway normal) priced hotel rooms in the area due to Oktoberfest.

For hotel rooms in general (and assuming that you do not want to pre-plan and pre-book you whole trip), I would pre-book hotels in the very touristy areas, e.g. Venice, Cinque Terre, Monza (F1 will surely make rooms scarce and/or expensive if you wait till you get there), maybe Florence, and also the Berner Oberland.
Otherwise you can use sites like kayak or trivago to get an idea about the general price range of hotels in those areas. Several booking sites also allow you to cancel reservations without penalty up to same day or day before. Which will only be of use if you carry any device with you to connect to the web if the need arises.

Unless there are major events in the area, the larger cities usually have enough rooms available that you could reserve even a day before once you made up your mind where you want to go.

While most visitors from overseas seem to like to take hotels in the very city or town centers, this may not be the smartest choice on a road trip. Most city centers are quite "auto un-friendly", parking either not available directly at the hotel and/or very expensive, e.g. in Florence or Milan. I'd probably choose a hotel not exactly at the freeway exits, but somewhat distant from the very heart of town, and take public transport or a taxi into the city center.
In smaller cities like Luzern, Lugano, Schaffhausen or Innsbruck, this is not relevant.

You could also check if your destinations can be grouped geographically, and stay more nights in one centrally located "hub" and visit those places as short day trips.
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 02:24 AM

Solid advice.

Oktoberfest is Sept. 21-Oct 6 so if OP's trip is during that time, avoid hotels within a 50km radius of München.
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 05:39 AM

Monza itself has only a couple of hotels, I remind most people sleeping in the park near the race track (not sure it is legal). Be there very early if you want to see anything (usually the best way to see F1 races is on TV).
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 06:16 AM

It's true that the province of Monza counts only 49 hotels, but Milan (more than 400 hotels) is less than 10 miles away.

As to your trip, it's fine if the main purpose is driving. I suppose you know that you will never have time to visit more than 10 per cent of all the gems situated along your itinerary.
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 09:31 AM

You are trying to do 17 different places in 17 or 18 days.

Cannot imagine how you think you can possibly cover all these places in these times. Have you even looked at drive time - and figured out how much time it will take to change towns and hotel every day?
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 12:21 PM

Neckervd, I know Monza quite well as I lived there a few years. It is true that Milan is close, but logistics on race days are not very easy as the crowds may be huge. I am not very much into F1, but my brother was. He has actually attended F1 races in a lot of European places, but never in Monza, where he could have walked to the circuit....
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving through Europe is lovely but the big cities are a major pain in the neck with a car plus you'll be spending a lot of time looking for hotels if you don't book ahead.

If you like driving, change your itinerary to the following:

1. Start in Venice
2. Do Garda lake
3. Do the Dolomites
4. Go through Vinschgau and do Stilfserjoch
5. Go through the Engadine (Pontresina)
6. Go over the Bernina and head towards Florence
7. Do the Cinque Terra
8. If you have time, consider Florence or Milan
9. Go back to Venice.

Your itinerary is too rushed to include Germany.