disneyland Paris Dec 2008

May 20th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

disneyland Paris Dec 2008

want to see Disneyland Paris between 7 Dec-17 Dec. Coming from sunny South Africa will it be too cold? What temps are looking at. Travelling with a 4yr and 10yr old "hooked on HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL" AND " HANNAH MONTANA". Please advise.
May 20th, 2008, 05:55 AM

www.weatherunderground.com for historical weather information/temperatures

I suspect the kids could care less about it being "sunny" in the Paris region or not.

May 20th, 2008, 06:18 AM

It probably won't freeze - temperatures should be around 10 during the day. There can be surprises, however.

Naturally, the Christmas celebrations will be in full swing, so no matter what the weather, the kids should have a great time. On top of that, the year end school holidays won't start until December 20th in France, so there shouldn't be huge crowds.
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM

Hi

We are also looking at taking 4 * 17r olds to Disneyland at Xmas. Has anyone done it at that time? are you outside all the time or are there indoor things to do to break the chill?
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Sarvowinner: Have you been to any Disneyland/Disney World? They are not "indoors" sort of places. Yes, there are some indoor shows, cafes, shops, even a handful of rides are predominantly inside. But you will be outside about 80% of the time.
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Hi Janis

I've been the Disneyland several times, but obviously the weather is very different and I was wondering if the setup accommodates this?

Also when I went to Anaheim, the park closed at around 6.00pm if it wasn't school vacation, but it appears that Paris is always open until 11.00pm. Am I right?
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:59 PM

Nope, it closes early after the summer season ends.

And yes, there is somewhat more protection provided regarding the weather. For example the "Main Street" area has dual covered passages giving access to all of the shops from behind.
Jul 18th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Thanks Kerouac

The times aren't posted for Dec 2008, so I clicked back through the calendars and it appears the park stays open until 22.00 starting the Saturday before XMAS. The parents are eating at Pré Catalan in the Bin the middle of Bois de Bologne for lunch on the Sunday, so we may send them to DL. A lot cheaper alternative to our lunch.
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:51 AM

We went to DLP around the same time as you are going in 2007 and it was very cold every day, all day.
I would guess that coming from South Africa you would feel it more than us coming from the UK.
As people have said, it may well not be as cold as we experienced, but everytime I have been to Paris in December (4 times) it always seems to be much colder than back home.

Jul 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Disneyland may have started extending its hours, because I have read that attendance is up something like 30% since the TGV-Est started operating.
Jul 19th, 2008, 09:50 AM

Sorry -are you taking 4 17 year olds to Disney - or 4 kids from ? to 17.

Having been to Paris twice with my step-daughters - the first when they were 11 and 14 and the second a couple of years later - I can testify that the last place they would want to go is Disneyland.

17 year olds are young adults - not children - and they're much more likely to want to do regular tourist things, shopping at teen friendly stores - and hanging out where local kids do in the evenings - not looking at fake stuffed mice. (Ours found several clubs that were primarily teens where they spent a couple of evenings and another evening went to the movies and dinner with a couple of Parisian boys they had met.)
Jul 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM

The very last place? Are you sure of this? (Not that it should be a priority...)
Jul 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Um - where did you get the idea about 17 year old(s)??The OP is traveling w/ "a 4yr and 10yr old"

I think DL Paris is a fine idea IF one is in Paris for a week or more - especially w/ kids those ages.

yes it will be cold and yes you will be outside most of the time, but there is a direct train from central Paris right to the Park -- could not be easier.
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM

janis,

17 year olds were mentioned by a separate poster, asking a new question about 4 other kids.

For what it's worth, it used to be that Disneyland was the priority destination for graduation parties in Los Angeles high schools. No doubt they wouldn't have hung out in Disneyland if offered a trip to Paris instead, but Disneyland does cater to that crowd. I actually think 17 years olds can be happier at Disneyland than 10 and 14 year olds, who are too eager not to look baby-ish, whereas the 17 year olds just head off to Frontierland and shoot guns.
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Some teenage traditions die hard (like Disney thrill rides)

http://disneylandyouthprograms.disne...TC-VanURLGNEng
Jul 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Oh sheesh - I see now . . . .

Savorwinner and the OP are different
Jul 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM

We went to Disneyland Paris in mid-November 2004, and it snowed.

Most attractions are outdoors, though there are a few indoor shows, like the Festival of the Lion King.

Woody
Jul 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Well - only the poster know their own 17 year olds. Perhaps boys?

All I know is mine teen step-daughters loved all sorts of things in paris - but would never have touched Disney with a barge pole. And it seems a waste of time to go to France to see Disney versus France.
Jul 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM

nytraveler, i tend to agree. But then again, Disneyland in Paris doesn't have Tom Saywer's Island (which everyone suspected was the most popular attraction on Grad Night).
Jul 19th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Hi

Yes, I tagged on to the original post and we have 4 teenagers aged 17 - 2 girls and two boys. We met at prenatal classes in Sydney, Australia and are spending Christmas in Paris. All will be in Europe for over a month, but each family is doing their own thing for for some of the holiday.

Unlike most posters here, our kids do not get the chance to go to DL or DW in the US. They do love theme parks and one issue with having boys and girls is that quite often they can't agree on what to do and end up just hanging. I do think it is a gross generalisation to state that 17 year olds wouldn't touch Disneyland with a barge pole.

One boy is vehemently anti-art galleries - which I learnt in Florence a couple of years ago, which ended up making our visit quite unpleasant.

This is only one day out of many, and as the parents are going to eat at Pre Catalan for lunch, this would make a great outing - especially as a couple of them were a bit peeved they weren't invited for lunch.

NY Traveller - I would agree that some 17 year olds would like to go to clubs, but when we took ours to Bali in January, they just weren't interested.

We are looking at the Segway tour, or perhaps the Fat Bike? One boy was thrilled about the Segway but wanted to know if he had to stay with the guide - he ran to the top of the Tower of Pisa and was back down before the rest of the tour had got back down. He has been told he can't zoom around Paris on a Seqway without his tour.

BTW these are great kids, just each has his/her own quirks. I love them all to bits. But we will be doing our own thing, and if the kids want to join in, they can, but I know sometimes they will want to just hang, they can. They will have just finished the biggest year in the Australian education system, which is incredibly stressful.