Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How early can I start walking in the Cinque Terre?

Jul 17th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

I am planning to walk between the 5 villages, from Riomaggiore to Monterosso, over 5 mornings. I understand that payment is required from Riomaggiore to Manarola - is payment required for walking between any of the other villages? Can I purchase a ticket in advance or do I have to purchase it when I am starting the walk? Either way, do I have to wait for the ticket office to open before beginning to walk (to sell / validate the ticket)? I am keen to start walking as early as possible to beat both the heat and the crowds!
Thank you
Pam
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:59 AM

When we went about 3 years ago you purchase a 3 day pass. You may be able to purchase for lesser days but we were staying for 3. One area did have a gate on it if I remember correctly. I believe it was traveling from the next to the last village from the south to the last village to the south....the one with the paved path. CT is part of the National Park system in Italy so if you google it I am sure you will see something abou the passes and when it is open.
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:23 AM

I don't know what village you're staying in, but in most you can purchase a 1, 2, 3, or 7 day card at most hotels and at the welcome centers. When I stayed in Manarola, my friend and I started our walk to Corniglia and there was a stop where you could purchase a Cinque Terre Card right as you started the hike. We walked on the main trails, but there are harder ones higher up too. Make sure you're going on the ones you want to, and get a map when you buy your ticket (they're free)

Have a great time! The views are SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!! I have soooo many beautiful pictures from my time there.
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your answer. I delved deep into Fodors and found a trip report that says 'We arrived at 8.00am, just as the ticket office was opening' - so am I correct in assuming that walking cannot begin until 8.00am on the path between Riomaggiore and Manarola?
I have already found the information about the Cinque Terre cards - but if you buy a 3 day card, how do you 'validate' the card for walking on days 2 and 3?
I just know someone out there can help!
Pam
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Pammca,

I don't know if you are locked into your itinerary, but if you are a very keen hiker, you can hike in Monte Portofino for free, begin at dawn, have solitude all day and see fantastic views.

http://www.parcoportofino.it/parco.a...ice=0000000006

http://tinyurl.com/5tnken

You can stay in Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure or Portofino to begin your hikes from the bottom. If you prefer to start at the top, you can try the pricey Portofino Kulm or the sweet and cheap b&b La Rosa Bianca (Mortola) both within the high zone of the park.

Jul 18th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Bookmarking
Jul 18th, 2008, 09:10 AM

I believe when you validate the card it will have date and time. If it is good for three days it is good for three days from the time you validate.

Same goes for trains - always validate the ticket!

Another fun way to see CT is by water taxi - see the CT from sea and arrive in each port by boat. Also spectacular views from this vantage. You may wish to go down to Portovenere, which the water taxi hits as well. This is really a spectaular port to arrive by boat, into the Golfo di Poeti and Lord Byrons cove.... bella!
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM

We bought our pass (2 day I think) at the train station and if I remember correctly we validated at the train station on the same machine where we validated our train tickets. Its good from that point for however many days the pass is for (the card will say, so you don't have to validate it each day). We did have our tickets checked on each walk, however, I don't think there was a way to block the access to the the path, so as long as you validate the day before, I think you would be okay even if no one is working the gate yet (and by gate, I mean sitting in the shack at the beginning of the walk). Checking involved looking at the ticket, not stamping it, since we'd already validated it at the train station. A 7 day pass is 20 euros.
Jul 19th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies to my query!
Ninkette - very helpful information, thanks.
Zeppole - thanks for the suggestion and the links - very interesting!
Pam
Jul 19th, 2008, 07:13 PM

In 2004 we walked from Monterosso to Vernazza. We didn't see anyone (at noon) to check our ticket on the Monterosso side, but there was someone just before decending into Vernazza. I would think you could begin at any time on this route. This was a spectacular and challenging walk, but we weren't in the best shape and it was just fine.