Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Corsica & Sardinia - How much time for each?

Jan 31st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

I have been reading from past forums that both these islands are quite large, and that it is best to split up a stay in Sardinia (a few days north, a few days south).
I have 7 days to spend in Corsica and Sardinia - how should I split this?
We love love love beautiful beaches and great nightlife.
We will be there the second week in July.
Of course, area and hotel recommendations are always appreciated!

Thank you!

Belinda (james and I)
Jan 31st, 2006, 11:20 AM
KT

Just a heads-up: have you checked out the transport practicalities of the Sardinia-Corsica combination? Based on my own experience, if you're planning on renting a car, good luck finding a company that will let you take a car between the two islands. And pay attention to insurance issues (e.g., if you rent in Italy, the mandatory insurance you purchase will probably not cover the car while on the ferry, and may not cover you in France). Also, you probably will not be able to pick up on one island and drop on the other. So it may well be easier, though more time-consuming, to do two car pickup and dropoffs, although both Sta. Teresa and Bonifacio offer only a limited number of in-town car rental choices.

Partly because of all this, and because we're going in April-May, when the ferry services to the mainland are much less convenient than when you'll be going, we finally decided to save Corsica for another trip and to spend 10 days on Sardinia and the rest of our time on the Italian mainland. However, since we're not beach and nightlife people (more into mountains, folklore, and archaeology), I'm afraid I can't give you any useful recommendations. It does seem to me, though, that if it's beaches and nightlife you want, you could easily enjoy 7 days in Sardinia.

Sorry not to be more helpful.
Jan 31st, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. You are definitely correct about the car rental - it may be less time consuming and expensive if I hold off on Corsica for another trip - or day trip from Sardinia.
I will definitely consider this as an option - to drop Corsica.

Any other ideas for beaches, hotels , locations etc.?
Jan 31st, 2006, 12:06 PM

Look at Alghero. There's a big beach on the north side of the old town. The beach is fronted with hotels, restaurants, condo's etc. Alghero being one of the biggest cities on Sardinia surely has night life. I wouldn't know though. My idea of night life is a long, leisurely dinner. I stayed at a hotel in the heart of the old town, not a beach property.

I only visited two other cities while there in October. Bosa with Bosa Marina right next door and Cagliari.

Bosa Marina had a crescent of hotels along a pretty cove and sandy beach. It's tiny though. I'm not sure what you would find to do in the evenings.

Cagliari is a big city for Sardinia. The beaches are a few kilometers outside of the city center. Plenty to do in Cagliari but you'd be farther from the beach.

Here's a link to my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=34699704
Jan 31st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Indy - our idea of nightlife is a great restaurant and perhaps a nice bar afterward. No crazy disco's or clubs however! But looking for an area that is alive! Thanks for the suggestions - I will look Alghero! Just a quick question - is it better to stay in town or on the beach?
Feb 1st, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

ttt...
Feb 1st, 2006, 10:27 AM

Maybe my trip report about my 10 days in Sardinia in 2004 will help:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34526714

Feb 1st, 2006, 11:49 AM

Since you're a beach person I'd say on the beach for you. Especially since Alghero has very few hotels in the old town. I'm thinking maybe only 3 or 4.

To get from the north end of the old town to the start of the beach is about a 10 minute walk.

There are hotels with beaches south of the old town. I didn't walk out there to see how far they are.