Search

Tropea hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tropea hotels

I'll be visiting Tropea in July with my husband for a week and I'd like to have some advices: Hotels?
Better being close to the beach or up in the little city?
Thanks for any help
Bete
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Bete,

We've stayed in Calabria, not far from Tropea, for each of the last three years. I love it there. We usually go in May or June--July will be very hot and crowded!

Tropea is a fairly small town, so we prefer to stay up the road a bit near Paraghelia and just go into the town for shopping, etc.

Where to stay depends upon your habits? For example, I prefer a private beach to the public beach in Tropea--the one you see in the pictures below the church, so we stay further out (a couple of miles). The roads are fairly simple in this part of Italy and it's very easy to get around by rental car. If you don't have a car, you'll most likely need to stay in Tropea itself.

If you have more specific questions, please let me know. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:03 PM

LoriS
We'll be in Calabria (staying at S. Domenica di Ricadi near Tropea) in June. We'll have a car. What are the must sees in this area? We're interested in small towns, scenic routes, etc.
Thanks for your input.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 02:08 AM

I've been to Tropea several times on day trips from my aunt's home. I would recommend Pizzo as a trip from there. There is a castle there that was restored by Joachim Murat, the ex- King of Naples. It is also famous for delicious Tartufo.

The beaches below Tropea are amongst my favorite in Italy. On the beaches directly below the town I have never seen a hotel right on the beach. Maybe further out of town there are hotels like this.

The church of Santa dell'Isola is built on a crag, or a little hill facing the town. To the left of it, almost right on the beach, is a wonderful little seafood restaurant. We were told last year that the fishing boats pull right up and bring them fish daily.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks loriS and AP6380.

Like you loriS we prefer private beach, and we are going to Tropea on late June.
Do you know any hotel in Tropea? Do you know if there is a cable car to reach the town? or any bus going up and down to the beach?
Tropea has gotten the biggest ponctuation in 200 beaches in Italy, followed by Castiglione della Pescaia, Orosei, Otranto and Pollica.
Thanks