Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel La Calcina - Does it feel out of the way?

Jan 31st, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Greetings fellow fodorites! I have been trying to figure out which hotel to choose for my 4-night stay in Venice. I have been to Venice 3 times before staying in various areas (Hotel Galleria, Hotel Leon Bianco, and Hotel Caneva). Hotel La Calcina has rooms facing the cana, which seems very nice, but I'm wondering if I should choose a hotel closer to the Rialto bridge/area.

I would love to hear your comments about staying in Dorsoduro.

Thanks!

Monica
Jan 31st, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

PS: The other hotels that I have in mind are close to the Rialto bridge, San Marco and a couple that are closer to the train station, about a 15 minute walk.

Monica
Jan 31st, 2006, 09:27 AM

It's not THAT out of the way, since it's around the corner from a major calle to the Academia bridge. Personally I love the location--just far enough away from all the hub-bub, but close to the Grand Canal bridge and the vaporetto stop.
Jan 31st, 2006, 09:40 AM

It is not out of the way at all IMO - short walk to San Marco (10 minutes) and about the same to the Rialto Bridge. A very pleasant part of the city and not so many tourists.
Jan 31st, 2006, 09:47 AM

It is very close, but somehow felt a little out of the way to me. I prefer Dorsoduro closer to Campo Santa Margerita.

Still, I don't care for the Rialto area--too bustling for me, so if it's a choice between La Calcina or something closer to Rialto, I'd go with Calcina. It's a nice hotel. It wasn't during the day that I felt La Calcina was too quiet; it was at night. I should mention this was winter, although during Carnivale, so walking very far to a restaurant meant we had to brave the cold.

Campo Santa Margerita and closer to there had more of a buzz and a youthful feeling. But perhaps this isn't what you prefer. And don't get me wrong; I'd definitely stay at Calcina again. Very short walk to San Marco. I just haven't yet found the perfect Venice hotel and hotel location for me.
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments!! It certainly helps me. The hotel quoted me a price for dates that have since changed. I'm waiting for their reply and if they have a room for me for my dates of stay I think I'll book with them. I do like the Rialto area, but love the idea of a more quiet location and a more authentic feel to Venice.

Thanks! I hope they have a room for me!

Monica
Jan 31st, 2006, 10:20 AM

I adore La Calcina and have stayed there twice. If it felt "out of the way" at all... it was in a GOOD way!

It is very easy to get to from the train station by vaporetto. The hotel is simply outstanding, in my opinion. Great rooms, wonderful breakfast included. A little gem of peaceful, cool, quiet, what a relief after a day in the sometimes hectic feel of Venice. Especially if you can get a room with a view of the Guidecca, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't mind staying a little closer to San Marco possibly but I definitely do NOT care for the area around the Rialto bridge. Too crowded!
Jan 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze! Now I'm getting anxious to hear from the hotel! Maybe tomorrow. If they're booked, I'll have to keep looking.

Monica
Jan 31st, 2006, 12:02 PM

I agree with Suze---we spent 5 nights there and would go back in a heartbeat. A bonus is the rooftop terrace, which you can reserve for private use. We enjoyed two sunsets up there, with a bottle of wine and some antipasti from the "Billa" grocery store a ten-minute walk away.

You should be aware, however, that the Giudecca Canal is not one of the charming little side canals---it is a broad waterway for cruise ships and car ferries. We loved seeing them go by, but some people do not care for that aspect. Just so you know. . .
Jan 31st, 2006, 12:24 PM

Exactly what Suze said!
Jan 31st, 2006, 12:40 PM

True enough about the Guidecca, it's a commercial shipping canal. I'll never forget the day a HUGE cruise ship "drove" by our hotel room window! What a surprise!!
Jan 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM

I stayed at Leon Bianco in 2000. It's just off the Ca'D'Oro (sp?) stop, very close to the Rialto. Certainly central to a lot of things. I loved the hotel becuase it's tiny and we had a beautiful room that had a grand canal view.
Jan 31st, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Sandi, When I stayed at Leon Bianco, it was with a side canal view, but I could see the grand canal if I leaned waaay out the window!

Monica

Feb 1st, 2006, 04:53 AM

Westayed at La Calcina 3 years ago and are staying there again this April.

I loved it so much I did not even consider staying anywhere else.

It is out of the way but not OUT OF THE WAY. You are removed from the action (which I prefer) but can be in the action in onla a few minutes by foot or vaporetto.

My favorite part of the day was returning to La Calcina after a day of walking, sitting on the dock on the canal and having a cold drink.

You'll love it.

Donna
Feb 1st, 2006, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

I'm booked as of this morning!!!

I can't wait for this trip! Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate it.

Monica
Feb 1st, 2006, 09:20 AM

Monica - This is Julie...so glad to see that you were able to get your room at La Calcina. I think you're going to be very happy with your choice - enjoy!
Feb 1st, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi Julie!

Yes, I'm very happy about getting this hotel. I checked their web site out again and loved the photos and description. I'm looking forward to having drinks on their terrace.

Take care,

Monica