Venice Hotel - Meeting Deployed Spouse

Old May 6th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Hotel - Meeting Deployed Spouse

Good afternoon everyone. I have my airline tix purchased for October 2005 and now moving on to reserving my hotel in Venice. I have read and researched all posts on Fodors I could find. BUT need more help in the planning phase. I'm meeting up with my deployed husband after a 9 month deployment -- with 9 more months separation afterwards. I am hoping to find a GREAT romantic hotel in the San Marcos area. We have never been to Italy and want to enjoy our experience in both Venice & Tuscany. For the first leg of the trip (Venice) I want to make it special, while hopefully keeping the $ to a figure we military people can afford. That said, does anyone have any recommendations for a romantic hotel with a canal view (Grand???) that has matrimoniale beds, private bath, excellent ambiance and under $250 US $. Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated. I don't want to get there and find I have to change hotels ... that would put a damper on the trip ...

Thanking you all in advance.

Lee
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:19 AM

I don't have an answer as to a hotel to choose, but rather one to avoid.

Avoid Locanda SS Giovanni e Paolo. We stayed there on our honeymoon and it was the noisiest place we have EVER stayed in anywhere in Europe. For such a special visit as yours, it would most definitely NOT be a good choice.
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Where ever you stay I hope your time together is as beautiful as the country you'll be in.
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pensione La Calcina if you can get a front corner room is a beautiful 3-star place in your price range with a nice breakfast included. It overlooks the Guidecca (a large shipping canal) though, not the Grand, and is about 10 mins. walk from San Marcos plaza.
www.lacalcina.com
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Hi
A view of the Grand Canal and a San Marco location and under $250 per night isn't easy.
Not far from the San Marco area are La Calcina and the Accademia pensione. I've never read a bad thing about either, and they are said to have charm galore.

Right in the San Marco area is Pensione Wildner. I haven't stayed there either, but it faces the lagoon, you'd have to check on current prices. It fronts a relatively crowded area, but October is less crowded anyway.

The hotel Flora is very charming, excellent location in the San Marco area, prices may just fit in your budget. Rooms vary in size. I absolutely loved staying there, it has charm galore, and an elevator and private baths, but it doesn't have Grand-Canal-facing rooms as far as I know. Geographically it's quite close to the G Canal, but for some reason I don't recall anyone talking about canal-facing rooms. I could be wrong.

For hotel browsing, take a look at venere.it, and look for hotel reviews by name, here, and at tripadvisor.com

Have a lovely trip
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Locando Leon Bianco has a couple of beautiful rooms with a Grand Canal view that are in that price range. The hotel is tiny and you get served breakfast on a silver tray in your room each morning. But only stay there if they confirm a full Grand Canal view.

http://www.leonbianco.it/
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips ... I'm starting to search and know I'll be successful in my endeavors. Any one else with, please share.

Lee
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:58 PM

I too only have on to put on the "avoid" list...Hotel Canada.

Enjoy your time with your DH! My DH retired from the Navy last year and I remember flying to meet him on port stops. I am so happy that you are able to do this! Too many spouses either can't or are afraid. Go and enjoy and let us know what you find
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:47 PM

It's really not necessary to have a Grand Canal view IMO. It can sometimes be noisy. Any water view is lovely.

There has been discussion of a particular room (#201) at the Hotel American which is what I'd like. Here's one thread with a description but if you do a search you'll find others.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34435416
Old May 6th, 2005, 03:54 PM

I agree with previous poster about Grand Canal view. You will pay a premium and to no great advantage.

The Grand canal is the principal traffic artery of Venice.

As I recently remarked on another thread (I mention this only so people will not think I am senile, repeating myself):

No-one would say, of any other major city: We insisted on a room overlooking the main drag -- the bus traffic was a special bonus.

I admired and enjoyed Ca della Corte -- both the inn and the separate apartments they offer, with a daily rental rate. They have a website under that name....
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the sacrifice your family is making for our country. God Bless You.

Also, I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Some people don't find it worth it, but I believe a room with a view on the Grand Canal is magical, have paid extra for it and have never regretted it.

If you can't find one in your price range, I could also recommend the Hotel American, some rooms have lovely views on the Rio San Vio Canal; good location and their staff was very accomodating.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:15 PM

We stayed at the Ca' dei Conti two years ago and it was absolutely wonderful. Their website is:

http://www.venice-hotel.cadeiconti.com/

They're on a small canal but very close to San Marco.

Have a great reunion!
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Hi Lee,

I am so happy that you will soon be reunited with your husband, may you both have a wonderful and romantic time together!

If you decide to not stay in a hotel on the Grand Canal, there is a quaint & charming hotel on small canal that gets very good reviews here and on other boards. Locanda Orseolo, it is family run, and after researching many different accommodations for a trip that my husband and I will be taking we found it delightful. It is by San Marco. I have spoke with them on the phone and via email and the service has been excellent thus far. (website is www.locandaorseolo.com) I am not sure what rates would be in October, but they are listed on the website.

Everyone on this board can be very helpful, I wish you luck.

Let us know if you need any assistance with your Tuscany planning.

Best wishes, T.
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:09 PM

Hello TravelerLee, the hotel I love in Venice is not in the San Marco area so I won't bother with the details.

But I do want to thank you and your husband for the sacrifice you are both making. I wish you a very special time in Venice and truly hope that he is home safe and sound with you just as soon as possible. My very best wishes.
Old May 7th, 2005, 05:24 AM
ira

Hi Lee,

There have been good reviews of the Smeraldina room in the Locanda Barbarigo http://veniceby.com/barbarigo/index.html