Cheaper European Vacation in August

Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheaper European Vacation in August

Before anyone starts to get all put off by this question I would like to preface the question with a bit of a preamble....

This year I have been to Italy and the Uk - I am now at the very last bit of any spending money and would like to find a country that is NOT AS expensive as some others. I am well aware I can spend oodles or next to nothing anywhere but I also know that some countries are notorious for high prices for accomodation and food. I am travelling alone. I thought about Ireland. I would love to go back to the UK but I think August might be too costly.

So my question is - Is there a country or region that is more affordable?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to keep out of big cities and away from the high season. August is high season throughout Europe. If I had to do Europe in August then try Hungary, Bulgaria, Poland, Romania. Might also think about central Germany (when the Germans have all gone South for the summer (ar the Baltic coast)
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:53 PM
P_M

I highly recommend Romania. I was there in the summer of 2009 and it was by far the cheapest European vacation I've ever had. It's a gorgeous country with tons of personality. If you click my name and scroll to the bottom you will find my trip report and pics.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:15 PM

I travel to Europe a lot in summer, and have been in the UK in August and can't think of anything that is more expensive in August compared to, say, June or July. I suppose some hotels might be more expensive than in late January, I can't say, but prices for most things are fixed, anyway, and don't depend on the month (ie, museums, trains, food, etc.).

You probably have a pretty good idea of which countries are cheaper -- ones less developed for tourists. And in any country, staying outside the big cities will be cheaper. Poland is pretty cheap (except some hotels in Krakow are more expensive than you'd think). Same for Czech Republic, except Prague (and even Prague is cheaper for lots of things that the UK, but hotel costs have risen a lot).
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:33 PM

Slovenia or Portugal.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In general - I find Ireland more expensive than the UK. Eastern Europe and Portugal would be cheaper -- but then the airfares are often considerably higher. So cheap accommodations+high airfares vs. cheap airfares+higher accommodations -- not much difference in total $$.

Someplace like Scotland might be a good compromise -- though you'd have to avoid Edinburgh. August is the highest of high seasons in Edinburgh w/ all the festivals and the Tattoo. Outside of that city though - accommodations are very cheap just about anywhere in the country.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:13 AM

Places like Brussels will be cheaper too - they have a lot of hotels rooms empty in August as the Euro parliament is not sitting. There are some great deals to be had in both Brussels and Strasbourg. Use one or both as a base and get out into the countryside for day trips.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:13 AM

Actually, August is not the high season throughout Europe. For a variety of reasons depending on the locality, it's a shoulder season in some parts of the continent with lower hotel rates, etc.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:29 AM

I would say Portugal, but a lot of cities can be affordable too, as many business hotels will discount heavily during August.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:35 AM
P_M

Another place to consider is Turkey, I found prices there to be quite reasonable. Not as cheap as Romania but Turkey still gives you a lot for your money.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:53 AM

If you really want to go to London then go and suck up the 'extra' few $$. Yes, it'll cost a bit more than Turkey or Portugal for example BUT you could reduce the bottom line by shortening your stay by a day or two.

If you do choose to go back to the UK then you'll find cheaper accommodation outside of London. Spend a few days in Wales!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

How about Croatia?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:13 PM

croatia was surprisingly beautiful and felt like a trip into the old country, people were very happy to talk w us (two years ago)
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:20 PM

I find Germany very fairly priced. Good food portions and reasonable 35-45E single accommodations in small towns.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
P_M

I was just in Croatia 2 months ago. While it's a fabulous country and I do recommend it, I wouldn't say it was the bargain I found in Romania or Turkey. But worth every penny.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:34 PM

I agree Romania has been our most affordable trip to Europe too. And just fascinating in a way unlike other countries. really enjoyed the trip.

But many people also think in terms of only the western and central parts of Europe, plus slowly adding on areas that have become well known to tourism in the last few years, such as the Croatian coast, or city breaks in Poland. If sticking with a formula such as that is part of the idea on par with the budget concern, then I'd be less inclined to recommend Romania, I think, as interesting and unique as it is. I believe it's also more challenging than a tourist-ready area.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:35 PM

But regardless, Ireland is *not* cheap!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
P_M

Clifton, you are right that Romania does not have the tourist infrastructure we are accustomed to seeing in Western Europe. I am told the trains are very unreliable and often delayed. Perhaps Romania is best explored by car, which might not be preferable for a budget traveler.

As for Ireland, I was there in the pre-euro days but I've read on this and other boards it's now one of the most expensive destinations in Europe. I'm glad DH and I went to Ireland when it was more affordable.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:52 PM

Romania really is a great place to have the freedom of a car. I was just htinking about how some people have been a bit put off by how different RO can be from the usual Eurotrip, I guess I can see that.
I think sometimes they may have more requirements from a destination than they list. I've picked up on that at times by the followup questions and alternate ideas they have.

I've been thinking about going back to Ireland for awhile. Havent' been actually since I got citizenship. Now money is an even bigger issue than the size of the list of other places to go.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

I mention Croatia as I have many friends there. I was just wondering what the wise forum members thought about this destination. Romamia is out of the questiom for a number of reasons at this point in time. I might just bite the bullet and do what I first intended. Thank you all for your input.